4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Overdrive light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 AM

i have kind of the same problem not really tho, when i push the o/d button it doesnt show up , i have to grip the automatic shifter back and push the button at the same time to make it come on or off, weird?? what can this be
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
my OD light blinks everytime i turn the car on... isnt it supposed to??
if its blinkin i believe that means u have a problem. U may be in fail safe mode.

Idk im 5spd.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 AM

im a/t. as far as i know its supposed to blink when you turn the car on a certain number of times and then go out. it shows your sensors are working properly. like the airbag light?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 AM

nvm, mine doesnt blink.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
im a/t. as far as i know its supposed to blink when you turn the car on a certain number of times and then go out. it shows your sensors are working properly. like the airbag light?
When you turn your car on, the O/D light comes on steady for 2 seconds and then turns off. Anything besides that indicates something is wrong with your tranny...an 8 year old thread for crying out loud...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM

did you not see the second post i made right above yours? you act like i bumped the ****.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

O/D Light Off - flashes 16x

Did you change the solenoid yourself? I have a 2001 Maxima and my O/D Light Off button is flashing 16 times too. I prefer to work on the car myself when possible but am trying to find out if its even worth me attempting. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by seven_z
Did you change the solenoid yourself? I have a 2001 Maxima and my O/D Light Off button is flashing 16 times too. I prefer to work on the car myself when possible but am trying to find out if its even worth me attempting. Thanks!
ur in the wrong forum this forum is for the 4th gen 95-99
Old 11-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

0verdrive switch

I have a 1995 SE maxima and in the past couple days the the overdrive light will come on and off randomly when I'm driving on the interstate or in the city.
At times when i am stopped the light will just flash back and forth between off and on position. I can be on the interstate and it will shift out of overdrive and the light will come on. I will wait a few seconds and then i will push the button in and out and the light will go off and shift back into overdrive. Then a few minutes later it does it again. Can anyone help or give me any ideas??
Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

good luck
Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 AM

Ok, so I too had this issue. I did the AT diag and the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd flashes are long and the next 7 flashes are short.

Could all 3 of these items really be bad? Or is one causing the others? Or something to that effect?

1st flash longer than others = Revolution sensor is shorted or disconnected.
2nd flash longer than others = Speed sensor circuit is shorted or disconnected.
3rd flash longer than others = Throttle sensor circuit is shorted or
disconnected.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:29 PM

yours trans is going out
Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Mine Blinks while slamin into high gears....
Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My od light worked fine until I did my 5 speed swap now it blinks 16 or 17 times and then goes off is this normal?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Portugalboy
My od light worked fine until I did my 5 speed swap now it blinks 16 or 17 times and then goes off is this normal?

O/D light is for automatic cars. If you did a 5 spd swap u no longer have an automatic. So your car is telling you you don't have a transmission.

You didn't do the swap right.

If you went to a 5 speed auto trans (for what reason, nobody knows), you still didn't do it right.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by maximaGTR
I have been havning the same problem, my o/d blinks 16 times once in a while and when it happens my cruise control doesnt work. I have been asking people, posting on the .org no help. Even my mechanic used a computer to troubleshoot couldnt figure out the problem.
exactly the same as mine is doing, when it happens the O/D won't work, but the tranny shifts smoothly through all gears on into over drive. I hope its nothing really bad as I just finished putting $1500 into replacing the entire breaking system, all except the booster. Now I don`t have anymore $$$ for my baby, for a while at least.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 6cyl-97maxima
exactly the same as mine is doing, when it happens the O/D won't work, but the tranny shifts smoothly through all gears on into over drive. I hope its nothing really bad as I just finished putting $1500 into replacing the entire breaking system, all except the booster. Now I don`t have anymore $$$ for my baby, for a while at least.

sorry I just realized how old this thread is, lol.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by maxima4me
I was going to ask this very same question. I have a '96 Autotragic GLE w/ 99k on it...but my tranny is only 15k old. (It died on me last year) I get blinking tranny light @ startup, but only every once in a while, and it doesn't seem to blink a set number of times. It will blink for a long time once, and then only a few times three starts later. I'll keep track of it from now on.

I wish I could figure this one out. I checked the ECU for codes and didn't extract ANY tranny codes. I did pull out the vehicle speed sensor code, but that's because my speedo goes in and out sometimes.

I really hope someone has an answer

I have the same issue.....
I only get the blinking o/d light at random times. It is not consistent at all, and it may be weeks in between episodes.
Any ideas as to what a random o/d light flash may be?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Does your speedo stop working when it happens?check for pending codes related to vss also well more likely its the same speedo we all get in the 4th gen.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM

I did the 15 step deal on page 1 and got the one long pause followed by 10 short ones,so I'm good on that front but I have code p0600 which i understand to be the tranny com. line. I looked under the cup holder and there is a wire connecter and it looks like soda and who knows what has spilled on it. I was thinking of spraying maf cleaner on and in the connection to clean it then let it dry for 1/2 hour. However my speedo goes out at times which I understand is a common problem with these cars.

I have taken the speedo out and tightened the screws which has the speedo working about 75% of the time. If i press on the trip odometer a couple of times it works. While all of this is going on the od light will flash but only when you have the od off and the yellow light is on all the time.

However the tranny stays in the gear it is suppose to be in but if you get on the gas when you take of the faster you go the harder the shifts are. Do you guys think changing the speedo will fix all of this?

I do have these other codes:
p0100-maf
p0325-ks
p0600-tranny com. line
p0302-cyl 2 misfire
p0340-cam sensor

I don't think these other codes effect the tranny but I don't know. I think changing the coil pack on cyl 2 will fix the other things except for maybe the ks and tranny com. line. Any advice will be helpful. I know this is an old thread but who knows. Thxs.

p.s i just need an answer to the tranny issue, I will look in the threads for answers to the other problems.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:34 PM

I all have this issue, I changed the board on the back if the cluster, changed the Tcm, and still prob persists with code p0600, I didn't change the speed sensor, though,

If I hit the cluster sometimes it works nd than just stops again,

I'm working in trying to find the actual cause of this myself as well,
Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by maxfever1987
I all have this issue, I changed the board on the back if the cluster, changed the Tcm, and still prob persists with code p0600, I didn't change the speed sensor, though,

If I hit the cluster sometimes it works nd than just stops again,

I'm working in trying to find the actual cause of this myself as well,
Try this. Take a look at the solder points and look for brown corrosion around the points. If you have that use your finger nails to scrap it off. I did that and it took that code away. I had the vss and tranny com line plus the maf code and all went away and speedo works great. It also stopped my od light from blinking 16 times after start up.

Make sure you clean ALL solder points on the back of the instrument cluster.

Now I did clean the maf the day before and didn't clear codes until speedo fix,so IM not sure if it fixed that also. I'm assuming you got the board at the junk yard. If not maybe this info will help others.Overdrive light blinking-fgb-014.jpghttps://maxima.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6575&stc=1&d=141465914 1

look around ABS and DOOR and you will see what i mean.

Last edited by Icemule; 10-30-2014 at 02:17 AM. Reason: added sentence,deleted word,added another sentence
Old 08-04-2017, 02:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to YOU, Icemule..
I spent 2 days chasing down the dreaded 16 blinks O/D light problem.. and it was YOUR post that finally gave me the solution i was looking for.

My issues were:
After starting the car (1995 Maxima GV) the o/d light would flash 16 times..
The car would drive fine for about 400 meters, then i noticed the speed sensitive power steering was non functional, meaning, heavy steering at low speeds, the cruise control would not activate, and, as an added bonus... the ISC (idle speed controller) would allow the engine to idle at 500 RPM or so.. instead of the required 750 RPM.

I changed both speed sensors, and the ISC, reset the TCU all to no avail.

It was then after searching everybody's friend, Google, I read on this forum how to extract the fault codes from the trans ecu.. (could Nissan think up a more complicated way to get the codes... sheesh).. then I learnt that the Speed sensor (meter) was showing a code. This made no sense to me as i thought that the ecu got it's speed signal from the transmissions primary speed sensor.. turns out, as you know, that the instrument cluster sends the vehicle speed to the ecu.. SO...

After removing the cluster and using finger nails to remove excess brown crap from the solder blobs on the printed circuit, this fixed the problem...

On a side note... I have some info for you and "the members"..

I had a single noisey tappet. Loud ticking once engine operating temperature was reached.

My theory was excessive clearance on one of the buckets..
First thing i did was to change the oil, as I had only purchased this car 2 days before all of this unfolded...
after changing the oil, the **** Still ticks..

So what I did to fix this problem was to remove the oil pan, undo the oil relief spring bolt, and insert a 3mm nut inside of the bolt. Thus, applying more pressure to the oil relief spring, and in turn, giving the engine more oil pressure before bypassing.
Happy days. The engine (250,000+ kms) now sounds as good as it did the day it left the factory.

Thanks again mate.

One Man

Originally Posted by Icemule
Try this. Take a look at the solder points and look for brown corrosion around the points. If you have that use your finger nails to scrap it off. I did that and it took that code away. I had the vss and tranny com line plus the maf code and all went away and speedo works great. It also stopped my od light from blinking 16 times after start up.

Make sure you clean ALL solder points on the back of the instrument cluster.

Now I did clean the maf the day before and didn't clear codes until speedo fix,so IM not sure if it fixed that also. I'm assuming you got the board at the junk yard. If not maybe this info will help others.Attachment 6575https://maxima.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6575&stc=1&d=141465914 1

look around ABS and DOOR and you will see what i mean.