5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Keyless Entry Doesn't Work Anymore???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:16 AM

Keyless Entry Doesn't Work Anymore???

2000 SE, 5MT, heated seats, sunroof, the works... My keyless entry was always pretty hard to make work, and now it has just stopped working completely. I have tested the remote and the remote's battery, and they test good. Is there a controller/receiver in the car that can be changed, where is it, and is there a special code that has to be ordered, or is it programmable outside of going to the stealership? Thx.

Search function isn't working this morning - I tried 3 times.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 AM

Yea, there is a way to reprogram your remote w/out going to the dealer. And as of now, the search isn't working for me either, but you can do a simple google search for the site.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...i=&safe=images
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 AM

I had a similar problem with my keyfob. I had to press the bottons hard to make it work even at a close range. At first I thought it was the battery just dying so I replaced it, but still had to press hard in order to make it work. I ended up buying a used one, which turned out to be in pretty good condition, from an online store for 29 bucks. It came with programming instructions and it is in perfect working order.
I'm not sure how your "keyless entry" stopped working while your "remote" tested good. How did you test the remote?
This is how to test if your keyless entry system is working:
Close and lock all doors with the driver's side power lock/unlock switch. Insert and remove the key from the key cylinder six times within 10 seconds. Go at an even pace. Don't go too fast or too slow. If you did it successfully and the system is present and functioning then the hazard lights will flash on the dashboard.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM

I had the remote battery tested at the Wal-Mart jewelry counter, with their battery tester, and it pegged their scale on the "good" side. I also used the little testing device at Advance Auto Parts, where you push a button on your remote and a light on the tester comes on if it gets a signal from your remote. It worked from at least 10' away. Maybe I'll try changing the remote's battery one more time just to make sure, but as of now, all indications are that it's a problem in the car and not in the remote. Hence, my original questions.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:02 PM

Understood. Just for the sake of it, you might want to try to re-program your keyfob if you change the battery.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Will do, and I'll post results.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by vinco
Will do, and I'll post results.
The thing in the car controlling keyless entry is called Smart Entrance Control Unit and it does few more things besides having radio receiver for keyless entry. It can be 'taught' the fobs by opening/closing door, turning key ON - there must be exact description somehwere on the site.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Toolie

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/...am_key_fob.htm
Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
I had a similar problem with my keyfob. I had to press the bottons hard to make it work even at a close range. At first I thought it was the battery just dying so I replaced it, but still had to press hard in order to make it work. I ended up buying a used one, which turned out to be in pretty good condition, from an online store for 29 bucks. It came with programming instructions and it is in perfect working order.
I'm not sure how your "keyless entry" stopped working while your "remote" tested good. How did you test the remote?
This is how to test if your keyless entry system is working:
Close and lock all doors with the driver's side power lock/unlock switch. Insert and remove the key from the key cylinder six times within 10 seconds. Go at an even pace. Don't go too fast or too slow. If you did it successfully and the system is present and functioning then the hazard lights will flash on the dashboard.
Thanks a million it worked great. I thought I'd be taking it into the dealer for $200.

Al