5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a reflash for your 5.5 gen?
Yes, quit baiting me and do it!
90.74%
No
9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Interested in 5.5 gen ECU reflash? I have good news coming soon...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Dyno it asap
The tune has been dyno'd. The sheets and all information are listed above.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by cornholio
+1 i would
I can flash them, however I have been working on the 02-03. Maybe down the road.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:40 PM

Figured l would post a little something about the tune. In short it's well worth the money. Seriously though the car runs great and Murphys laws customer service is freaking the best l have experienced. I had a few issues and he went out of his way to help me and make sure everything was perfect( above and beyond )

Now as for performance its much better in the midrage and it continues to the new redline.

I live down a 1 mile lone private rd with nothing but corn feild on both sides. There is a post that l clock my speed at. Well before the tune l could hit 119 to 120mph. With the tune its now running 126 to 127mph at the post. Stock l would hit 107 to 08.

I will post up a video later this week of it hitting 7100+rpms.

Murphys_law thank you so much for this! It's what this thing needed. Will be calling you in a few months for the 4inch intake tune!

If anyone is on the fence about this, go for it! Its worth every penny
Old 11-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by losifanatic
Figured l would post a little something about the tune. In short it's well worth the money. Seriously though the car runs great and Murphys laws customer service is freaking the best l have experienced. I had a few issues and he went out of his way to help me and make sure everything was perfect( above and beyond )

Now as for performance its much better in the midrage and it continues to the new redline.

I live down a 1 mile lone private rd with nothing but corn feild on both sides. There is a post that l clock my speed at. Well before the tune l could hit 119 to 120mph. With the tune its now running 126 to 127mph at the post. Stock l would hit 107 to 08.

I will post up a video later this week of it hitting 7100+rpms.

Murphys_law thank you so much for this! It's what this thing needed. Will be calling you in a few months for the 4inch intake tune!

If anyone is on the fence about this, go for it! Its worth every penny
Glad to hear it!

I will follow up with something that I posted other places but didn't here, yet.

The 4" tune is pretty close to being completed, and the good news is that it can be run WITH STOCK INJECTORS!

No longer will you need to purchase over sized injectors for a car just to be able to tune it.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by murphys_law
Glad to hear it!

I will follow up with something that I posted other places but didn't here, yet.

The 4" tune is pretty close to being completed, and the good news is that it can be run WITH STOCK INJECTORS!

No longer will you need to purchase over sized injectors for a car just to be able to tune it.
Omg you just made my day! Can't wait to see the results
Old 11-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Bad *** Newb

LOL at the video
Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Glad to hear it!

https://youtu.be/xDmHJLdIyxQ
Would you guys be interested in doing a core charge? So you guys send an ecu with a core charge if an ecu is received in a said time you guys drop that Charge?
Old 11-08-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by sebastian2041
Would you guys be interested in doing a core charge? So you guys send an ecu with a core charge if an ecu is received in a said time you guys drop that Charge?
I'm not really interested in a core charge program because there are so many ecu variants, but if you have a way to program the NATS I can source an ecu and program it. At an additional cost of course.

Last edited by murphys_law; 11-08-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 AM

I know there are different ecu's for our cars but, isn't the actual hardware the same, just with different software? So for example, I send you an ecu from an '02 auto and then, you flash a rom file for an '03 6mt onto that ecu.

Are you just modifying existing code in place or actually flashing a modified rom file? I imagine if you are flashing a modified rom file you should be able to do it to any ecu that is at least from a 5.5gen, no matter what model. I guess I am wrong about this.

Im interested in how you do this. Im not looking for your secrets or how to do this myself. I just want a better understanding of how you apply the changes.

Thanks. :-)
Old 11-09-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by T00Lbox
I know there are different ecu's for our cars but, isn't the actual hardware the same, just with different software? So for example, I send you an ecu from an '02 auto and then, you flash a rom file for an '03 6mt onto that ecu.

Are you just modifying existing code in place or actually flashing a modified rom file? I imagine if you are flashing a modified rom file you should be able to do it to any ecu that is at least from a 5.5gen, no matter what model. I guess I am wrong about this.

Im interested in how you do this. Im not looking for your secrets or how to do this myself. I just want a better understanding of how you apply the changes.

Thanks. :-)
You are correct that hardware is the same. However every ecu has different software.

Now if I don't have a copy of your particular software(which determines many things) then I won't be able to match that up to your car. In order to avoid this I ask that customers send their ecus in OR provide me with their part number so that I can source one and program it.

This keeps risk and cost to a minimum.

Last edited by murphys_law; 11-09-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Oh ok. So it is possible, but you do it like this to prevent mix ups, human error etc... Less risk for everyone.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:21 PM

Glad to hear it!

https://youtu.be/xDmHJLdIyxQ
OMG I wish I knew about this before I went ahead and purchased the tune from you!
Old 11-09-2016, 04:39 PM

I'm not really interested in a core charge program because there are so many ecu variants, but if you have a way to program the NATS I can source an ecu and program it. At an additional cost of course.
Damn I see, no way to delete NATS? and have it work that way with me providing ecu model number car vin and other info if needed for you to be able to program another ecu to work?
Old 11-10-2016, 09:44 AM

I'm confused on this one, please help me understand.

It was my understanding that you NEED bigger injectors to supply enough fuel to match the extra air flow; the stock injectors would be maxed out trying to supply the extra fuel which is why you need to upgrade.

So how are you getting around this? Wouldn't the stock injectors be running at extremely high duty cycle?
Old 11-10-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TSelanne
I'm confused on this one, please help me understand.

It was my understanding that you NEED bigger injectors to supply enough fuel to match the extra air flow; the stock injectors would be maxed out trying to supply the extra fuel which is why you need to upgrade.

So how are you getting around this? Wouldn't the stock injectors be running at extremely high duty cycle?
Duty cycle is high at ~90% or so, but they do work just fine.

I will probably be testing some VHR injectors shortly as a budget replacement.

In addition they will easily handle a naturally aspirated DE or HR with their extra flow, all without being overly large(a la GTR injectors) and are more reasonably priced than the GTR injectors.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:59 AM

Damn I see, no way to delete NATS? and have it work that way with me providing ecu model number car vin and other info if needed for you to be able to program another ecu to work?
I'm not interested in disabling nats. It's a one time deal to match an ecu up to a car, and can be done relatively inexpensively.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:14 AM

I think it's cool you're able to get stock injectors to work. And even more cool you're supporting the community with these re-flash options for us.

I realize you're not asking for opinions, but here's mine anyway lol for what it's worth.....I would feel more comfortable using gtr injectors, either the 570 or 440's. I don't like the idea running that high of a duty cycle on stocks. I would think the people who are spending the $$ on the intake, ssim, spacers, bigger tb, exhaust, etc, etc are fine with the extra expense of bigger injectors.

You'll probably appeal a wider audience as well since most ppl w a 4" already have larger injectors. But idk maybe I'm way off on that.

What cc are the vhr's? and are they pnp?

Last edited by TSelanne; 11-11-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TSelanne
I think it's cool you're able to get stock injectors to work. And even more cool you're supporting the community with these re-flash options for us.

I realize you're not asking for opinions, but here's mine anyway lol for what it's worth.....I would feel more comfortable using gtr injectors, either the 570 or 440's. I don't like the idea running that high of a duty cycle on stocks. I would think the people who are spending the $$ on the intake, ssim, spacers, bigger tb, exhaust, etc, etc are fine with the extra expense of bigger injectors.

You'll probably appeal a wider audience as well since most ppl w a 4" already have larger injectors. But idk maybe I'm way off on that.

What cc are the vhr's? and are they pnp?
VHR are ~385cc. So about 20% or so larger than stock.

That being said I will still be offering something for GTR injectors as I have already done testing for them. HOWEVER it is a much better option to use injectors closer to the stock size in order to keep everything inside the ecu load wise inline, as the ecu uses the load that it calculates from injector pulse width for many things. If you are using e85 or are turbocharged obviously things change, but for naturally aspirated I have a hunch that the VHR injectors will provide the best bang for buck while being correctly sized.

And yes there are many that already have GTR injectors, which was why I explored that first.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any news on auto?
Old 11-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazie
Any news on auto?
No testing done as of yet, however if someone wants to I can work with them more closely.

That being said it should work just fine, but until information was gathered and things were tested I did not want to mess with automatics.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:04 PM

Is there a write up on the easiest way to move the battery so l can prepare for the 4inch intake. Also where do you get the 4inch intake from? What year and model injectors am l looking for?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 AM

Is there a write up on the easiest way to move the battery so l can prepare for the 4inch intake. Also where do you get the 4inch intake from? What year and model injectors am l looking for?
The battery relocation that I've seen is listed in this thread:
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ir-intake.html

The 4" intake that is being tested was fabricated by me for testing.

There will be more information about injectors soon.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:03 PM

Quick update.

The VHR injectors are almost perfect for this bolt on DE. They peak around 75% injector duty cycle, and pending testing(on the HR, as I tested them today on the DE) I think these will be ideal for both the "HR" and DE with nearly any bolt ons. The nice thing is that they are relatively cheap, and are well matched to the combo which helps to keep timing and other calculations in the stock ecu inline.

The VHR injectors flow 355cc @ 43.5 psi where the factory injectors flow right around 300, so they are right around 20% larger than the factory injectors which makes them "just right" in my opinion.

Last edited by murphys_law; 11-14-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout
OMG I wish I knew about this before I went ahead and purchased the tune from you!
PM me and we can talk about another tune.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:31 PM

The 4" tunes are completed.

After extensive testing on stock injectors I would recommend upgrading injectors.

2 tunes will be available for 4" intakes.

4" intake with "VHR" injectors

4" intake with "GTR" injectors

Both of these tunes are for the DE(until the HR is tested and confirmed with these exact mods in the next week or two) with bolt ons(exhaust, headers, block off plate, etc.)

Price will remain the same @ $275 per flash.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:36 PM

Name:  Awesome-Meme-11_zpsflwhnmji.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  48.2 KB
Old 11-16-2016, 03:35 PM

The 4" tunes are completed.

After extensive testing on stock injectors I would recommend upgrading injectors.

2 tunes will be available for 4" intakes.

4" intake with "VHR" injectors

4" intake with "GTR" injectors

Both of these tunes are for the DE(until the HR is tested and confirmed with these exact mods in the next week or two) with bolt ons(exhaust, headers, block off plate, etc.)

Price will remain the same @ $275 per flash.
Two questions one noobie question
First do you have a Facebook where we can follow this more closely while also messaging easier?
Noob question: some people have or plan to go with more mods like spacers, 3 inch cat back, bigger TB, BOP, a longer 4inch (batter relocation required one) will you be tunning for these in the future or do you recommend a vafc to be teamed up with your flash?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:01 PM

Two questions one noobie question
First do you have a Facebook where we can follow this more closely while also messaging easier?
Noob question: some people have or plan to go with more mods like spacers, 3 inch cat back, bigger TB, BOP, a longer 4inch (batter relocation required one) will you be tunning for these in the future or do you recommend a vafc to be teamed up with your flash?
The 4" tunes that I'm talking about have all the same modifications as the "bolt on" tune above:
Block off plate
headers
exhaust
75mm tb

It is currently being run with a long ram(semi cold air) 4" intake.

As far as another place to follow, there are multiple facebook posts, but you will have to be part of the groups.

maxima.org FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2224...?ref=bookmarks

my5thgen FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1838...?ref=bookmarks

VQ State of mind FB goup:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/835420033233099/

You can search any of those facebook groups for "flash" and easily find the thread. PM me if you have issues finding it.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:29 PM

The 4" tunes that I'm talking about have all the same modifications as the "bolt on" tune above:
Block off plate
headers
exhaust
75mm tb

It is currently being run with a long ram(semi cold air) 4" intake.

As far as another place to follow, there are multiple facebook posts, but you will have to be part of the groups.

maxima.org FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2224...?ref=bookmarks

my5thgen FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1838...?ref=bookmarks

VQ State of mind FB goup:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/835420033233099/

You can search any of those facebook groups for "flash" and easily find the thread. PM me if you have issues finding it.
Found them all! Thank you!
I knew it was a nooby question because i wasnt sure if they all applied to each other. I was Confused wether each seperate mod need a tune! Although thank you I recently bought an emanage blue and now you are making me regret it
Old 11-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Found them all! Thank you!
I knew it was a nooby question because i wasnt sure if they all applied to each other. I was Confused wether each seperate mod need a tune! Although thank you I recently bought an emanage blue and now you are making me regret it
There's certainly nothing wrong with using a piggy back, but there are some limitations.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:13 PM

There's certainly nothing wrong with using a piggy back, but there are some limitations.
i plan on having your flash with a vafc just for safe measures
Old 11-19-2016, 10:50 PM

PM sent
Old 11-24-2016, 04:55 PM

Of the 5 people that have this so far, any real world use comments?
Old 11-24-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Reallyslowrio
Of the 5 people that have this so far, any real world use comments?
Its great. Very noticeable power increase. Much more power now in the 3k range. My car was lacking there really bad before. I can't recommend it enough. Worth every penny
Old 11-25-2016, 07:39 PM

Anyone have any before and after dyno results for a 4inch intake? I cant seem to find any
Old 11-26-2016, 11:37 AM

Anyone have any before and after dyno results for a 4inch intake? I cant seem to find any
https://maxima.org/forums/dyno-discu...tock-cams.html

EDIT:

There's also quite a bit of discussion here about it:

https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...2-08-vq35.html

Last edited by murphys_law; 11-26-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:14 PM

Another here:
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ml#post8744018
Old 11-26-2016, 02:49 PM

Awesome. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I came from the G/Z forums since I have a 03 G35 Sedan with a older ECU that Uprev won't touch sadly. Been reading everything I can on tuning. Saw your thread and registered.

Car is a 03.5 G35 AT5 with Rom AM603 older gray ecu connector
I was ready to pull the plug on full exhaust, spacer but lack of tuning halted me. Locally and trying to contact ATL guys Z1 and another one without any response now I'm at your hands if possible or if your even interested. I just got the car dialed in after valve cover gaskets, TB, and a vacuum leak. To be honest I feel more comfortable with planning my cars future with a bone stock dyno vs a dyno with your ECU flash to see how this 14 year old car is even running and responding. All of which is cheaper than if I went full out on bolt ons than a tune.

Send me a pm when you can
Old 11-26-2016, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I came from the G/Z forums since I have a 03 G35 Sedan with a older ECU that Uprev won't touch sadly. Been reading everything I can on tuning. Saw your thread and registered.

Car is a 03.5 G35 AT5 with Rom AM603 older gray ecu connector
I was ready to pull the plug on full exhaust, spacer but lack of tuning halted me. Locally and trying to contact ATL guys Z1 and another one without any response now I'm at your hands if possible or if your even interested. I just got the car dialed in after valve cover gaskets, TB, and a vacuum leak. To be honest I feel more comfortable with planning my cars future with a bone stock dyno vs a dyno with your ECU flash to see how this 14 year old car is even running and responding. All of which is cheaper than if I went full out on bolt ons than a tune.

Send me a pm when you can
Pm sent

Quick Reply: Interested in 5.5 gen ECU reflash? I have good news coming soon...