1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Clutch Burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Clutch Burning smell?

I did like a run, hit it, shifted down to second and i was in the 5k area rpm band, and it felt like it was holding on to something it was ther for like 2-3 seconds and then moved, clutch? or tranny? after that, it smelled like burning rubber/metal awful smell.
Why does this happen, and what ways can i reduce this in happening again? besides driving lessons..
Old 12-10-2009, 09:30 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by thegodson1
I did like a run, hit it, shifted down to second and i was in the 5k area rpm band, and it felt like it was holding on to something it was ther for like 2-3 seconds and then moved, clutch? or tranny? after that, it smelled like burning rubber/metal awful smell.
Why does this happen, and what ways can i reduce this in happening again? besides driving lessons..
So you floored it, then downshifted to second and dropped the clutch? Were you trying to burnout or something? You probably have a somewhat worn stock clutch and should have rev matched. Any time you let out the clutch and the RPMs soar but you don't move any faster or hear the tires spinning, it's smart to let off because you're glazing your clutch. If you let it slip for 2-3 seconds (poor reaction time?) it may be a bit glazed and will slip on you for a bit until you wear it off.

My clutch slips a good deal when launching on slicks, and shifting to 2nd when spraying. I guess if I clutch dumped at high RPMs while downshifting to second, it would probably slip as well.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
So you floored it, then downshifted to second and dropped the clutch? Were you trying to burnout or something? You probably have a somewhat worn stock clutch and should have rev matched. Any time you let out the clutch and the RPMs soar but you don't move any faster or hear the tires spinning, it's smart to let off because you're glazing your clutch. If you let it slip for 2-3 seconds (poor reaction time?) it may be a bit glazed and will slip on you for a bit until you wear it off.

My clutch slips a good deal when launching on slicks, and shifting to 2nd when spraying. I guess if I clutch dumped at high RPMs while downshifting to second, it would probably slip as well.
I guess i definately slipped, but i didnt down shift just your normal run 1-2-3. Now my car seems less reponsive..lol, could be the cold weather that just kicked in also? But the car is shifting differently...dunno if thats a better or worse feeling, before when crusing i would shift under 2200 it felt like a kick/thrust/jolt into 2nd, now it just slides right in but doesnt seem to be pulling as strong, anyway thats prolly for a different thread. But whats the best way to reduce slipping of clutch? Or is it normal.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by thegodson1
I guess i definately slipped, but i didnt down shift just your normal run 1-2-3. Now my car seems less reponsive..lol, could be the cold weather that just kicked in also? But the car is shifting differently...dunno if thats a better or worse feeling, before when crusing i would shift under 2200 it felt like a kick/thrust/jolt into 2nd, now it just slides right in but doesnt seem to be pulling as strong, anyway thats prolly for a different thread. But whats the best way to reduce slipping of clutch? Or is it normal.
I guess you didn't read my entire post (cmon now!), but I mentioned that after doing what you did, letting the clutch burn up for 2-3 seconds, you likely glazed the surface. What that means is your clutch is going to slip for a while until it wears off.

And for the record, cold = more power in almost every case. The stock ECU will run more timing, plus denser air... win/win.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I guess you didn't read my entire post (cmon now!), but I mentioned that after doing what you did, letting the clutch burn up for 2-3 seconds, you likely glazed the surface. What that means is your clutch is going to slip for a while until it wears off.

And for the record, cold = more power in almost every case. The stock ECU will run more timing, plus denser air... win/win.
OOo ok i get it, thanks man, i guess the only way for me to learn not to slip is just practice or just hope it doesnt slip then hah, yeh i know cold=power..but not in my case..its prolly my knock sensor, it also happened after i changed my rubber accordion style air intake duct..feels like responsiveness is lost and/or it being restricted not optimal. Hmm i better learn how to down shift the right way..i think all this time i havent been rev matching..i just downshifted the way i upshifted