1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

You can TT a 2nd gen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 02:12 PM

You can TT a 2nd gen!!!

Who belives me? You most certainly can twin turbo the 2nd gen Max's. Anyone have any ideas how? Sorry for the teaser, but I want to see if anyone has an idea as to what I am talking about first. Trust me, I figured out a way to do it NO PROBLEM!!!!! Buuuuuahahahahaha!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Heck, you are already halfway there, just throw in another turbo and tell us about it.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:31 PM

Yep.

It is that easy. The trouble everyone seems to think is mounting the turbo's on either side of the engine as in the TT 300ZX. We all know that won't work in the Maxima because of the engine to firewall clearance. The way it WILL work is if you mount the one turbo the way you would for the single turbo install (as in on my car) and mount the other turbo on the CROSSOVER for the exhaust. That is where I was originally going to mount the single turbo. I was going to make up a custom piece for the cross over which had a turbo flange on it, modify the front exhaust manifold to allow flow to the cross over and walla. It's so simple it's painful. The greasy part would be the exhaust routing and the intake and charge routing.

Now that the whole air injection thingy is gone, there is tonnes of room to mount a turbo where the exhaust crossover is, espceially if you mount your battery in the truck, which you should do anyway.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that revelation. Not sure if anyone else had thought of it that way. Cheers!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 07:26 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Yep.

Cool, the downside is you have to use SOHC heads. The DOHC heads are too big. Next question is, how would you do the exhaust routing? You probabably don't want to have the wastegate from one turbo feeding the other would you? Then again, that might help with reducing lag by keeping one turbo spun up the majority of the time. Dunno.

S
Old 01-13-2003, 07:58 PM

sounds neat, but why? It doesn't seem like faster spool-up is worth the money, but whatever.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:05 PM

I agree.

Why is a good question. Some people might do it because they can, others might to it to see what it would be like, while others would just shake their head wondering why bother.

It's fun to ponder new ideas.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:47 PM
I love lamp.

Re: I agree.

Originally posted by KALSC
Why is a good question. Some people might do it because they can, others might to it to see what it would be like, while others would just shake their head wondering why bother.

It's fun to ponder new ideas.
Here-here, I'd drink to that!

Besides, why do all the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen's owners get to have the fun with this stuff? 2nd gen's aren't bad cars when they are built up right. Not like them ugly hon-duh's that I see around wrapped up with rice paper.

S
Old 01-14-2003, 09:24 PM

Actually, I nixed my twin turbo 4th gen idea for two reasons: 1) too much PITA for the piping, and 2) the damned intake manifold ports into one only. Plus, I need to put $3K into my 300ZXTT's engine for rebuild and upgrades, hee hee (give those G35s aka 350Z a run for their money).

If you guys are familiar with the seperate intake manifold on the VG30DETT, you know that both turbos feed into their own respective intake manifolds, and den to their own exhaust.

So there really isn't a point to try and do the same for a Maxima, unless some lucky 1st gen guy manages to fit one VG30DETT in his car.

Hey, it could happen...

-A
Old 01-14-2003, 10:29 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by avalon42
Actually, I nixed my twin turbo 4th gen idea for two reasons: 1) too much PITA for the piping, and 2) the damned intake manifold ports into one only. Plus, I need to put $3K into my 300ZXTT's engine for rebuild and upgrades, hee hee (give those G35s aka 350Z a run for their money).

If you guys are familiar with the seperate intake manifold on the VG30DETT, you know that both turbos feed into their own respective intake manifolds, and den to their own exhaust.

So there really isn't a point to try and do the same for a Maxima, unless some lucky 1st gen guy manages to fit one VG30DETT in his car.

Hey, it could happen...

-A
1st gen's are lucky because they got the space to do that setup. I actually like to see someone put the RB26DETT in (since the configuration would be easier to work with). Either motors would make for a kick as RWD sedan.

S
Old 01-14-2003, 10:35 PM

Hmmmmm . . .

I can pretty much guarantee you that a twin turbo in the stock configuration (turbo on either side of engine) wouldn't work. BUT, if you did it up in the configuration I mentioned, no problem. As for charge routing, have one turbo feed one side of the IC and the other turbo feed the other side, and have the combined charge exit from the center top or something and then off to the TB. Been done a thousand times.

Cheers!