1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Rotten Egg....smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 06:41 AM
rcy

Rotten Egg....smell

After driving on the highway (or if I open the sunroof on the highway) I get a powerful rotten egg smell. Any idea what's causing this? The car is an '88 and I use 91 octane. Could it be the brand of gas?
Old 02-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Charles Bisel

Most likely it's your catalytic converter. There's some stuff you can put in your gas that'll make it go away.

I'm not sure exactly what causes it to happen, but in any case, don't run 91 octane gas unless you've advanced your ignition timing, especially with gas prices as high as they are. Higher octane gas is only for cars that knock or ping on lower octane gas, usually for high performance engines that have high compression ratios. There are no other special benefits or additives from running 91 versus 87, in all other respects they're exactly the same.

-C-

Old 02-22-2003, 09:22 AM
rcy

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Most likely it's your catalytic converter. There's some stuff you can put in your gas that'll make it go away.

I'm not sure exactly what causes it to happen, but in any case, don't run 91 octane gas unless you've advanced your ignition timing, especially with gas prices as high as they are. Higher octane gas is only for cars that knock or ping on lower octane gas, usually for high performance engines that have high compression ratios. There are no other special benefits or additives from running 91 versus 87, in all other respects they're exactly the same.

-C-
I'm just doing it because the owner's manual says to use 91. There aren't any knock sensors on pre 89 Maxima's, so I don't want to damage the motor.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:01 PM
Charles Bisel

The manual says to use 91 RON (87 AKI). The AKI number is the one used at the fuel pumps, the RON number is a higher number. There is also a lower number than the AKI which is called the MON.

Basically, the way they come up with the octane rating at the fuel pump is by taking the (RON + MON) / 2. You should see it posted somewhere at the pump, it'll probably say 'Fuel Octane Rating is determined by the (R+M)/2 method'. That's the AKI number, the number that you should be going by, which for our cars is 87.

I know the manual is kind of confusing, listing both the RON and AKI numbers, but it's the AKI number that is used at the pumps, not the RON.

-C-

Old 02-22-2003, 03:22 PM
I love lamp.

The manual says to use 91 RON (87 AKI). The AKI number is the one used at the fuel pumps, the RON number is a higher number. There is also a lower number than the AKI which is called the MON.

Basically, the way they come up with the octane rating at the fuel pump is by taking the (RON + MON) / 2. You should see it posted somewhere at the pump, it'll probably say 'Fuel Octane Rating is determined by the (R+M)/2 method'. That's the AKI number, the number that you should be going by, which for our cars is 87.

I know the manual is kind of confusing, listing both the RON and AKI numbers, but it's the AKI number that is used at the pumps, not the RON.

-C-
Yeah, I'm finding out that prolong use of 91 or higher octane can cause excess carbon build up in these motors. I've found that out from my hot start problems. I've always used 92 octane fuel. I've stepped down to 89, and I haven't had much hot start problems now...and if I do, its barely noticable. I'm going to step down to 87 fairly soon, since Costco only sells gas in 87 or 92.

S
Old 02-22-2003, 06:14 PM

Yeah I get that too sometimes and I use 89, thanks for the tip, I'll get 87 next time I'm at the pump.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:17 PM
rcy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Bisel

-C-
[/QUOTE

Great, thanks for the info. I've always been confused by that. Yes, I've noticed the r+m/2 stickers on the pump. You've just saved me about $6 per fill up. Thanks
Old 02-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Charles Bisel

No problem, glad I can be of help.

As for the rotten egg smell, I looked into it on the net. Apparently it is caused from the engine running too rich. It could be that you are in need of a tune up or you may have some other issue like a bad sensor or something. Also, if your air regulator is bad (which pretty much all of ours is), it can cause your engine to run rich when it first starts up. Over time, this may contribute to why the cat converter is smelling like rotten eggs.

I'd say use that additive that gets rid of the smell, then try and figure out what could be causing it to happen. If you don't fix the main cause of the problem, you may end up having to replace your catalytic converter.

-C-

Old 02-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rotten Egg Smell............

It is your battery, partner. Trust me, 11 years as a turret mechanic on a Bradley Fighting Vehicle, I will never forget that smell.......
Check your output voltage first, just to be on the safe side, I don't want you to put in a new battery and it overcharges it again.....
If you have a maintence-free battery, replace it. No sense trying to fill it up with water. If it is one of the regular ones, check to see if you have enough water in the cells, no water equals cooking cells.
If there was water in the cell, then your battery has had it, the alkaline has been worn to nothing and it simply no good to re-fill them either.

The reason I asked you to check the altenator output voltage first cause they do have a tendency to overcharge, which in this case, something has blown inside your altenator. I believe there is a way to regulate the output power of the altenators, but I don't know where.... I know where they are only in military vehicles.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:21 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Rotten Egg Smell............

Originally posted by GundamWZero
It is your battery, partner. Trust me, 11 years as a turret mechanic on a Bradley Fighting Vehicle, I will never forget that smell.......
Check your output voltage first, just to be on the safe side, I don't want you to put in a new battery and it overcharges it again.....
If you have a maintence-free battery, replace it. No sense trying to fill it up with water. If it is one of the regular ones, check to see if you have enough water in the cells, no water equals cooking cells.
If there was water in the cell, then your battery has had it, the alkaline has been worn to nothing and it simply no good to re-fill them either.

The reason I asked you to check the altenator output voltage first cause they do have a tendency to overcharge, which in this case, something has blown inside your altenator. I believe there is a way to regulate the output power of the altenators, but I don't know where.... I know where they are only in military vehicles.
Our alternators have a built in voltage regulator. So if that goes, you essential need to replace the alternator, unless you know how to rebuild one. I forgot where they you can buy the little board that contains the regulator and brushes for this alternator. You should check to see how much power the alternator is putting out.

S
Old 02-23-2003, 06:00 AM
rcy

Re: Rotten Egg Smell............

Originally posted by GundamWZero

Thanks for the information, but the smell is definitely coming out of the tailpipe.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Charles Bisel

Good thing I gave you advice, otherwise you'd be replacing your battery! And I'm not even a mechanic, I'm an IT professional!

-C-

Old 02-23-2003, 07:19 PM
I love lamp.

Good thing I gave you advice, otherwise you'd be replacing your battery! And I'm not even a mechanic, I'm an IT professional!

-C-
lol, I'm kinda both....but more officially I'm an IT Pro. When I finish school, I'll definately be both.

S
Old 02-24-2003, 07:12 AM

Gee, how many of us work on our own cars, but also work in the computer industry?

I worked as a network admin in NC for the two years I was there, for a major commercial print shop. I am currently working for less than half the pay I made there, as an Internet Help Desk technician. Not fun. I'd rather have my old job back, with the pay that went with it. But I'm not moving 1500 miles back to NC, just to work for a company who is having financial difficulties, and it struggling to stay afloat.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:45 AM

Re: Rotten Egg....smell

Originally posted by rcy
After driving on the highway (or if I open the sunroof on the highway) I get a powerful rotten egg smell. Any idea what's causing this? The car is an '88 and I use 91 octane. Could it be the brand of gas?
99% of the time, if you are getting the classic "rotten egg" smell, it usually means that your cat is either ready for replacement, or heading there quickly. Yes, there are some gas additives that will stop the smell for a short time.

Usually, in the case of our cars, I believe that the usage of too-high-an octane gas will basically burn up the cat, and this is what causes most of them to go out, while smelling like turned eggs.

First, add the additive, and get the cars running well under 87 octane (due to the timing being off on mine, it doesn't run well unless I feed it 89 - 91 ocxtane fuel, depending upon brand. It doesn't actaully ping or knock...but it runs almost like it's missing at idle, if I run lower grade fuel. I should get my timing and idle speed issues resolved within the next week or so.

I'm also rebuilding the entire power steering system in the car, sine my pressure line, pump and rack are all leaking, I'm fixing the whole damn thing.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:00 AM

Re: Re: Rotten Egg....smell

What did ya eat?

Maybe ya cut the cheese without knowing!

Just foolin' bro! Umm...I assume it maybe the fuel octane or oil. Cause I smell that on new cars!! FOr real, I be outside or inside peoples NEW cars and they either rev or put full power to their cars and then ya could smell that nasty azz smell.