1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

87 Max Died Suddenly, Won't Start (Continued)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 03:34 PM

87 Max Died Suddenly, Won't Start (Continued)

Ok, my car died while driving suddenly, no putt putt or any of that...so I've determined so far(from the other thread):

1. the harness that connected to the power transistor/coil has 12v
2. it also has a good ground
3. the coil is not the problem(bought a new one)
4. the power transistor is not the problem(bought a new one)
5. there is continuity from the wires from the ECCM to the crank angle sensor harness
6. the rotor spins correctly

I think it could be the crank angle sensor failed, and I think you need to replace the whole distributor.

What I need to know now is if anyone can scan me the pages refering to the crank angle sensor( i have page 2 i believe but thats all) it's listed under code 11. I also need the pages for removal and reinstall of the distributor. I removed the distributor because I think I might get one from a junkyard for 40 bucks and try that, but I don't know how to align the teeth and stuff to know how to reinstall it correctly.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2003, 03:38 PM

Re: 87 Max Died Suddenly, Won't Start (Continued)

Originally posted by Super20G
Ok, my car died while driving suddenly, no putt putt or any of that...so I've determined so far(from the other thread):

1. the harness that connected to the power transistor/coil has 12v
2. it also has a good ground
3. the coil is not the problem(bought a new one)
4. the power transistor is not the problem(bought a new one)
5. there is continuity from the wires from the ECCM to the crank angle sensor harness
6. the rotor spins correctly

I think it could be the crank angle sensor failed, and I think you need to replace the whole distributor.

What I need to know now is if anyone can scan me the pages refering to the crank angle sensor( i have page 2 i believe but thats all) it's listed under code 11. I also need the pages for removal and reinstall of the distributor. I removed the distributor because I think I might get one from a junkyard for 40 bucks and try that, but I don't know how to align the teeth and stuff to know how to reinstall it correctly.

Thanks
You can replace the guts of the distributor with it still on the engine. That way you won't have to re-stab it. You might have to use one of those little angle screwdrivers, but you can do it. Or, you can mark your distributor as you pull it out, and align the replacement like it, and then stab it. The gear makes the distributor rotor end up pointed to a different place than it starts when you stab it into the head, so you have to allow for that to get it into the right place. Or you can get a Haynes manual and do the whole distributor replacement procedure.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:49 PM

Re: Re: 87 Max Died Suddenly, Won't Start (Continued)

Yeah, I can get it to remove and reinstall easily, I just didnt know how to tell i put it back in the right place(on the gear teeth), I didnt mark it when i removed it the first time(cause i didnt think it'd just slide right out so easy), (whoops), but i know about the exact location within a few teeth, I guess I can just get the new one and try a few different teeth till it starts or runs correctly.

Originally posted by dr.disc

You can replace the guts of the distributor with it still on the engine. That way you won't have to re-stab it. You might have to use one of those little angle screwdrivers, but you can do it. Or, you can mark your distributor as you pull it out, and align the replacement like it, and then stab it. The gear makes the distributor rotor end up pointed to a different place than it starts when you stab it into the head, so you have to allow for that to get it into the right place. Or you can get a Haynes manual and do the whole distributor replacement procedure.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: 87 Max Died Suddenly, Won't Start (Continued)

Originally posted by Super20G
Yeah, I can get it to remove and reinstall easily, I just didnt know how to tell i put it back in the right place(on the gear teeth), I didnt mark it when i removed it the first time(cause i didnt think it'd just slide right out so easy), (whoops), but i know about the exact location within a few teeth, I guess I can just get the new one and try a few different teeth till it starts or runs correctly.

No. Don't.

1. Set engine at TDC for the number one piston. Top Dead Center (TDC) is the uppermost position of a piston in its movement up and down in a given cylinder on its firing stroke. Put transmission in neutral and unplug the coil wire from the distributor cap, grounding it on the engine to prevent it firing. Turn the crankshaft by hand with a wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt, clockwise. Bring number 1 (and 6) cylinder to TDC by aligning the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley with the stationary timing timing indicator on the front of the timing belt cover. The zero notch in the puley aligns with the pointer on the timing plate (it protrudes from the cover out over the pulley). At this point, either number one or number six is on its firing stroke and the other is not. To determine that cylinder one is on firing stroke, number each spark plug wire (stock Nissan wires are numbered but you need to be sure they are the right ones). Remove your all your spark plugs from the engine (blow dirt, sand, crud out from around the plugs before you remove them, so you don't get anything down in your engine.) Locate the number 1 cylinder spark plug wire and trace it back to the distributor (Stock Nissan caps are marked). Mark that place on the distributor body casting directly below the number one terminal. Remove the distributor cap. If number one cylinder is at TDC of the firing stroke, the distributor rotor will be pointing at the mark you made for the number one terminal on the distributor body casting. If it isn't, turn the engine one complete 360 degree revolution in a clockwise direction. If the rotor is now pointing at the one mark you made on the distributor body, the number one cylinde is at TDC on the firing stroke.

2. Locate the alingment marks on the rotor shaft above and below the drive gear on the distributor. Align the bottom alignment dot on the shaft with the protruding mark above the drive gear on the housing and insert the distributor. There are two marks on the housing, one indented and one protruding, make sure to line up the dot on the shaft with the one that protrudes (is raised slightly), not the indented one (which is grooved). The angled cut on the gear will make the gear seat into the camshaft gear lined up with the indented, grooved, one once it is down into the head and meshed with the cam gear, but you won't be able to see it. You are setting the gear so it will twist into the right place as you push it down in there when you align the dot on the shaft with the protruding mark.

3. Once the distributor is installed, the distributor rotor should be pointing towards the numer one cylinder mark you made. Confirm this and tighten the distributor hold-down bolt. You should be able to see where the distributor was installed before because of discoloration around where it was on the cylinder head. I always mark this setting before I remove a distributor.

The cylinder numbering is 135 on the firewall side of the engine going back from the passenger fender, and 246 on the radiator side.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:57 PM

Hey, thanks a lot. That doesn't sound too bad, much better than other jobs I've had to do. I might let the shop look at it to tell me that's what I need first, since I can't just keep throwing parts at the problem, even though I am running out of things it could be.

As long as I can make sure #1 is at TDC, I think I'll be alright.

Thanks Again