1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Power Steering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:36 AM

Power Steering?

Ok here are the symptoms, based on this I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what normally breaks on second gen maximas or what it could posibbly be. It started last night, when I took my car to pick up a friend from my job. I had used it during the day, and NONE of this was happening. So anyway I go to start my car and it starts fine, but there is a loud whining sound. It almost sounded like a blower/supercharger kinda whine, like on old *** cars. I go to leave the driveway and it raises/lowers with my RPM's, then goes away. I get to work, and leave the car running outside for a minute. When I go back out, it is whining again, and goes away as I leave. Today, I start the car, and hear the whining, only this time when I leave the driveway I have sporadic loss of power steering. Again, this went away in about 2 minutes but the whining continued, only quieter. Anyone know what this could be? The power steering fluid is full, but it is really dirty.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:17 AM

Re: Power Steering?

Check the tension on the P/S belt. Also, the tensioner could be about to go out, causing the whine and the intermittant loss of steering assist.

If the fluid is dirty, check for fluid leaks in the P/S assembly.

Leaks don't always attribute to dirty fluid, but the dirt in the fluid could cause leaks...especially from the pump and/or rack assembly.

When I tore my pump down to reseal it, I was pulling out dirt as well, but there wasn't much. I thoroughly inspected all surfaces and there was no scoring or damage, so I was lucky...if dirt gets in there, and damages the pump, then it's not rebuildable...and you're better off buying a replacement...
Old 03-10-2003, 07:48 PM

It has since gotten worse, but only when it is really cold. It calms down a bit more when its warmed up, but also I have been noticing a slight stutter when shifting, like its not getting enough gas. Im thinking its two different problems, a ps belt or serpentine belt and or tensioners, and also ****ty gas from a small gas station chain
Old 03-10-2003, 07:49 PM

Bah I forgot two more things. One, could the really cold weather be doing this? It didnt do it that day, but the next day when it was 20 degrees colder it did it. Also, this wouldnt have anything to do with a timing belt/chain would it? I dont want to risk driving it to work and having all my internals bent to ****.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Charles Bisel

You probably have a couple of problems going on at once.

I've never had any PS problems, so I can't answer you question accurately about that.

As for the shuddering problem, if it only happens while the engine is cold and goes away when it's warmed up, you probably need a tune up.

-C-

Old 03-11-2003, 12:53 AM

I figured that too, but just for the gas mileage and hesitation while starting I tuned her up last week, new plugs wires cap rotor and oil change, air and fuel filter as well. The only thing I didnt do is the O2 sensor, but I am going to do that next weekend as well as fix the exhaust leak.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:54 AM

Oh yeah replaced the PCV valve too.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by JayDubs
Bah I forgot two more things. One, could the really cold weather be doing this? It didnt do it that day, but the next day when it was 20 degrees colder it did it. Also, this wouldnt have anything to do with a timing belt/chain would it? I dont want to risk driving it to work and having all my internals bent to ****.
As for the noise and steering issues, yes, cold weather could cause it. Luckily for me, I'm in the south, with a nice, moderate climate. We've been experiencing 75 degree day-time temps here...

But to get back to it, yes, cold can do it. If the tensioners are going out, they can squeal and whine more than normal. Also, when cold, rubber tends to get stiff. If could be the belts, including timing belt, being cold and stiff, and not wanting to rotate freely. Worn belts seem to do this more often than newer belts, so you may want to consider swapping them soon, when the weather permits.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 PM

Yeah I am going to change the belts this weekend, and see if that cures it. Thanks for the info, it was all really helpful..
Old 03-13-2003, 10:27 PM

Well it is something more than I thought, but not sure what. I didnt drive it at all on Wednesday, and only once tonight at around 6 to move it to a different spot in the driveway. It was hesitant to start then kinda sounded like it was stuttering, but I only had to go 10 feet. I go out about 5 hours later and it wouldnt start nor stay running unless I held it at about half throttle, and then died some even. Also there was no power steering. I am really at a loss here, and dont know how these problems could stem from one. Any ideas? I really need a car, but I would at least like to know somewhat of what is wrong before I take it somewhere so I can tell if I am getting ripped or not.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by JayDubs
Well it is something more than I thought, but not sure what. I didnt drive it at all on Wednesday, and only once tonight at around 6 to move it to a different spot in the driveway. It was hesitant to start then kinda sounded like it was stuttering, but I only had to go 10 feet. I go out about 5 hours later and it wouldnt start nor stay running unless I held it at about half throttle, and then died some even. Also there was no power steering. I am really at a loss here, and dont know how these problems could stem from one. Any ideas? I really need a car, but I would at least like to know somewhat of what is wrong before I take it somewhere so I can tell if I am getting ripped or not.
How cold is the weather there now?

If it is really cold, the gas could have condesnation, or possibly even ice - however, iced gas is VERY RARE, and it has to get DAMNED cold!

The Aux. Air Valve could be to blame here.

Another possiblity, again if it's been cold...check your cap and rotor...I've heard stories of the cap cracking when extremely cold, or if it's been cool, with a lot of humidity, your cap could have a lot of condensation in it.

Also, the engine could be bogging down from bad tensioners and / or stiff belts...they could cause the trouble, also...

I hope this helps...
Old 03-14-2003, 09:18 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by MaxWgn

If it is really cold, the gas could have condesnation, or possibly even ice - however, iced gas is VERY RARE, and it has to get DAMNED cold!

Another possiblity, again if it's been cold...check your cap and rotor...I've heard stories of the cap cracking when extremely cold, or if it's been cool, with a lot of humidity, your cap could have a lot of condensation in it.

Also, the engine could be bogging down from bad tensioners and / or stiff belts...they could cause the trouble, also...

I hope this helps...
maxwgn is right, you might want to check for water...or ice..in your airbox. If that is the case, it could mean you have a dead MAF sensor.

S
Old 03-14-2003, 09:20 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by MaxWgn

I hope this helps...
maxwgn is right, you might want to check for water...or ice..in your airbox. If that is the case, it could mean you have a dead MAF sensor.
Then again, your car would be limited to running at 2000rpm max.

S
Old 03-14-2003, 10:47 AM

I am going to check all of the above, thanks for the help. It is really cold, around 0 f. Also I replaced the cap and rotor recently, I am going to see if it came loose somehow and moved a bit. I had that happen on my old car.