1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Timing belt installed, Max runs fine.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 04:43 PM

Timing belt installed, Max runs fine.....

it took a few days but the job is finally complete, with a new water pump, camshaft seals and timing belt.

but now I need to know if there are any characteristic sounds I should be looking for that may indicate a too tight or too loose timing belt.

I followed the tensioning instructions step by step to the word, using a .35mm feeler gauge, all the lines matched up perfectly with the timing marks on the sprockets.

but the belt was difficult to get on because it seemed rather tight, however once I got it on and turned the engine everything still lined up, and then I tensioned it. it seems to run fine, except for a slight hesitation when climbing a hill, although I doubt it's related because I've been having this idle problem for a little over a month now.

I guess I'm just nervous because I've never done this on my only car before. I've replaced a timing belt once before, but it was on a volkswagen with only one camshaft. and it wasn't my only car.

Dan
-------------------
Old 07-16-2003, 01:36 AM

ahh, okay, no replies....

there are no unusual sounds except for the usual exhaust leak, but there is an occasional hesitation, a lacking in power, when accelerating and/or climbing hills. doesn't feel like a misfire or a fouled plug, or a fuel problem, cos it didn't do this until I did the timing belt.

I think I'm just going to park the car until the repairs are affordable. that was my original idea but I was desparate and didn't have another vehicle. this weekend my sister is getting her 83 Jeep CJ-7 registered and inspected so that I can drive it...temporarily... until I have my car in the shop and the work done right. (DAMN, what a shame, I'll have to drive around in a JEEP... in the summer....this is gonna suck

I might have them fix the exhaust leak too.... it seems to come from the front of the car, my fear is the manifold. if I need replacement parts, I'm sure there are aftermarket performance parts I can get, right, instead of standard OEM-spec equipment?

I hate to keep dumping money into this car, I'm starting to lose faith in Maximism, but I've grown so attached to the thing it's like a loved one now. I hope this is the last of the repairs it needs for a while..... finances aren't agreeing right now.... I'm 20 years old out of high school, driving a truck... not exactly my preferred lifestyle, or salary, but I try the best I can.... things work out, it just takes a while. It's a good car, I keep saying that, it's a good car, at 180,000 miles a car has normal wear and tear, like a clutch - but I just had that replaced. I like Nissans, especially the Maximas, they have a great reputation, and from what everyone says, 180,000 miles is still the break-in period...
Old 07-16-2003, 07:38 AM
I love lamp.

To the sound of it, your ignition timing maybe off a little, most likely a little on the retarded timing side. You might want to try readjusting it and see where that gets you.

S
Old 07-16-2003, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by maximase86
To the sound of it, your ignition timing maybe off a little, most likely a little on the retarded timing side. You might want to try readjusting it and see where that gets you.

S
Agreed...likely, the timing wasn't far off, if at all, for the old, stretched belt. Now that there's a new timing belt in there, it could well have thrown off the timing...the symptoms you are describing sound a lot like retarded timing...try advancing it a little, and see if the hesitation and so forth clear up some...
Old 07-16-2003, 05:29 PM

well here's the thing. about a month ago I started having this idle problem where the car idles at around 1200-1500 rpm. I've looked through the fsm and checked the throttle and vacuum lines and for the life of me I can't seem to find what's causing it.

it's my understanding that timing can't be checked until the idle is set at 750 RPMs (for a m/t), right? when I installed the crankshaft pulley and lower timing belt cover, I cleaned them up and painted the timing marks (my car uses 15 degrees to TDC) so that they're easier to see under the timing light. at the idle, which is around 1200-1500, I tried adjusting the timing as best as I can but the mark seems to jump. however, I'm sure that the timing at 1500 RPM will be different from the timing at 750 RPM, so I can't be sure if it's correct.

I will take your advice though and try advancing it a bit, regardless of its timing with this idle problem.

with the old belt, at 750 RPM, the timing mark was still pretty jumpy.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Standard for us is 20 degrees tdc That could be your problem
Old 07-17-2003, 01:25 AM

ehh. there's a sticker under the hood that says 15 degrees for manual transmission...but I could be wrong.

anyway I advanced the timing anyway, just a little bit, and it runs perfect now, no stumbles, no hesitation, when I hit the gas it speeds up like it's supposed to. climbs hills perfectly. looks like you guys were right!

there is still the matter of the exhaust leak and the idle problem that I need to fix/have fixed. I simply don't have the time to do it myself. after that, it's body work and a paint job. a fix-up car but it's worth it.

thanks again!
Dan
Old 07-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Didnt know you had manual, sorry
Old 07-17-2003, 09:58 AM

no problem. I thought the timing angle was different for A/T and M/T.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
ehh. there's a sticker under the hood that says 15 degrees for manual transmission...but I could be wrong.

anyway I advanced the timing anyway, just a little bit, and it runs perfect now, no stumbles, no hesitation, when I hit the gas it speeds up like it's supposed to. climbs hills perfectly. looks like you guys were right!

there is still the matter of the exhaust leak and the idle problem that I need to fix/have fixed. I simply don't have the time to do it myself. after that, it's body work and a paint job. a fix-up car but it's worth it.

thanks again!
Dan
A classic symptom of retarded timing is lack of oomph. Mostly noticed either from standing start, or loaded, such as hill climbs. When mine was retarded back too far, it would start from line hard, until about 2500 rpm, then it felt like i was tied to a tree, or hit a 1000 mph head wind..and it would SLOWLY creep up to the shift point on my slushy, and once shifted, felt like a 18-wheeler had rear ended me, as I launched forward...in some cases so hard as to break traction and slide - more than just a simple chirp. Then, it would happen again, only not as bad, just beofre going into 3rd...and was almost unnoticable shifting into, or once in OD...

In that condition, I raced a guy from work going home. He was driving a 94 Mitsu*****y Mirage, with a 5-sp, CAI and exhaust...and the only way he could even touch the wagon was that invisible wall it hit at about 2500 rpm...when it shifted, I passed him before i regained full traction again...and rememebr - although he's a small 4-banger, he was a MUCH lighter car, with a 5-sp...and only 54k miles on it...not too shabby for a 220k mile grocery getter...our boss still picks on him for being walked by an old wagon...HAHAHA
Old 07-17-2003, 12:51 PM

that's cos it's a maxima

people seem to underestimate these boxy 4-door sedans until they see that we have a nicely sized 3.0 under the hood. I dusted a grand am today coming back from the rope swings, it's one of those GM piece of junk "4-tech" engines that's a 4-cylinder that's supposed to have the power of a 6....quite honestly even the 6-cylinder GM engines suck, look at the 2.8s they were usin in the camaros in the mid-late 80s. those things have no power at all. it's a disgrace to a 305 or 350. when I busted my ankle last year and couldn't walk or push in a clutch pedal, my roommate and I traded vehicles, an 88 maxima for an 87 camaro. needless to say, he was out havin fun with it while I was pushin the gas to the floor and waiting for any ounce of power....

one thing I like about these maximas is they sit low....and they're wide, they handle great. for normal driving, I'll take each gear up to about 3,000 RPMs before I shift, if I'm showin off or racin someone I'll let up on first around 3500-4000 and then take second and third up to 4500-5000, I seem to get great pickup and I don't lose torque when I shift. that'll blast about anything, specially these little dressed up toy cars with 4-cylinders that seem to think they're dragsters. like colored spark plugs and pulleys and stick-on flames really improve engine performance. some honda or acura or yoda sounding like a p!ssed off bumble bee tries showin me off and I drop a gear and show him what a maxima is supposed to do. I don't see too many real dragsters - impalas, chevelles, GT-500s, GTOs, belairs, 442s, or even a real Datsun z-car, a 280zx with a v8, the real things that I know can kick my a$$......

I just wish Nissan knew what cupholders are. only thing they left out.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Charles Bisel

A V8 in a Z?!? That's like dropping a Ford engine in a Chevy!

If I had an old Z, I'd try to drop in a VE30DETT from the Z32, I think that would be a killer combo and at least you can stick with all Nissan parts and keep the 6 cylinder that the Z is renown for. It would have to be the 240Z though, that was definitely the best looking Datsun Z.

If that engine doesn't fit, a VG30ET from the Z31 should fit with no problem. Some modifications and you could easily be pulling 300-400 hp.

-C-

Old 07-18-2003, 03:56 AM

my bad... but I could have sworn some of the 280 ZXs had 8-cylinders.. could have sworn it... I thought the 280Zs had the 6, while the 280ZX had the 8.... I must be wrong though....
Old 07-18-2003, 04:31 AM

All Z's had 6's. Inline from 70-83 and the V-6 from 84-96, also including the 350Z.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:53 AM

that's cos it's a maxima

people seem to underestimate these boxy 4-door sedans until they see that we have a nicely sized 3.0 under the hood. I dusted a grand am today coming back from the rope swings, it's one of those GM piece of junk "4-tech" engines that's a 4-cylinder that's supposed to have the power of a 6....quite honestly even the 6-cylinder GM engines suck, look at the 2.8s they were usin in the camaros in the mid-late 80s. those things have no power at all. it's a disgrace to a 305 or 350. when I busted my ankle last year and couldn't walk or push in a clutch pedal, my roommate and I traded vehicles, an 88 maxima for an 87 camaro. needless to say, he was out havin fun with it while I was pushin the gas to the floor and waiting for any ounce of power....

one thing I like about these maximas is they sit low....and they're wide, they handle great. for normal driving, I'll take each gear up to about 3,000 RPMs before I shift, if I'm showin off or racin someone I'll let up on first around 3500-4000 and then take second and third up to 4500-5000, I seem to get great pickup and I don't lose torque when I shift. that'll blast about anything, specially these little dressed up toy cars with 4-cylinders that seem to think they're dragsters. like colored spark plugs and pulleys and stick-on flames really improve engine performance. some honda or acura or yoda sounding like a p!ssed off bumble bee tries showin me off and I drop a gear and show him what a maxima is supposed to do. I don't see too many real dragsters - impalas, chevelles, GT-500s, GTOs, belairs, 442s, or even a real Datsun z-car, a 280zx with a v8, the real things that I know can kick my a$$......

I just wish Nissan knew what cupholders are. only thing they left out.
The way that you're describing the Camaro is how I could describe
the way my 86 Max runs... I've driven a 91 and a 93 Max and both
of those cars make mine look like it's a two cylinder...

I've done all the tune up items (plugs - NGK V-Power, new Nissan
cap and rotor, new plug wires, new coil, set timing, etc...)

My next step is to try a test pipe in place of the converter
because I've been smelling the rotten egg smell coming from
the car.

Hmmmmm...

Scott
Old 07-18-2003, 08:11 AM
I love lamp.

Scott, another thing I would look into is to check the ECU air/fuel mixture ratio, that could be off for some reason....you may look into checking out the O2 sensor, and what not.

S
Old 07-18-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by maximase86
Scott, another thing I would look into is to check the ECU air/fuel mixture ratio, that could be off for some reason....you may look into checking out the O2 sensor, and what not.

S
O2 sensor was replaced... ECU states 44...

Wondering if the tranny's going out...

Thanks!
Scott
Old 07-18-2003, 10:44 AM
I love lamp.

my bad... but I could have sworn some of the 280 ZXs had 8-cylinders.. could have sworn it... I thought the 280Zs had the 6, while the 280ZX had the 8.... I must be wrong though....
If you saw a Z with a V8 in it, the person did a swap. I've seen a few V8 Z's. But Rusty is right that it from the factory the 280Z/ZX's were inline 6.