1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

IT FINALLY DIED! (need a seccond opinion though)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:41 PM

IT FINALLY DIED! (need a seccond opinion though)

ok as you might rember i asked a while ago about my battery light and some people said it was my alternator going outand i kinda thought so because i could hear the brushes (i know i shouldnt but i could) people told me to replace it and i said i coudlnt because i didnt have any money or a job....

well kinda ironic thing happened a few hours ago....was out with a friend job hunting and we went to the mall and then to my hour to grab somthing and i had been driving arround by my self well before this watching the voltage almost the whole time and it was still right at 12volts...come back from my hour go to citcuit city and come back out and i go to turn my car on and my idiot lights dont light up...odd i thought..so i go start the car and i turn the lights on....my guages arent lit up...my tach says 0 RPM which i know is not true...and then i notice my seatbelts are still foreward but my headlights worked and the green lights for my stereo worked...so i thought i'll go home...so i go cruse a bit and then i thought mabe if i reved the engine they'll come back on...so i did and everything popped back on...so ok i thought...just a bug...so i go to target and on the way there i watch my voltage meter go back and fourth arround 12volts and then all of a sudden it drops all the day down and then everything goes out except my headlights and my car is still running...so i go to target and i figure i might as well do what i needed to while i was there and we get done come back out and i call my dad and while we were waiting from him i click the key to the on position but dont turn the car on and all my lights light up and signals work and everythings fine but when i go to try to start it all goes out and it wouldnt turn over....

i'm thinking the alternator went poop...but i still want others thoughts....i'm pretty sure you guy's will say the same thing but still wont hurt to check

(sorry about the long post)
Old 09-30-2003, 07:13 AM

This almost exactly what's going on with mine, except for the unusually fast idle, and revving the car doesn't bring anything back up...so, if an alternator fixes yours, let me know...i might need one, also...
Old 09-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Try the Alternator. Most likely that has to be it.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:58 AM

Charge the battery with a separate battery charger or jumper cables. If everything runs perfect for a while with a fully charged battery and then later goes back to the insane light show then you know for sure that it is the alternator not charging properly. Also, check the battery cables themselves. They may just need to be cleaned or replaced.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:37 AM

Question, when it's doing that, if you turn the car off, and just turn the key to accessory, does your radio play? can you open the door, and get the dome light?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:19 PM

yea thatr stuff works but the instant i try to start the car it all goes out except the radio...(i think the radio runs off the battery no matter what) and then it wont turn over because there isnt enough juice
Old 09-30-2003, 01:13 PM

k...well, then, mine's definately not the alt...as i have no lights or anything - anytime...the headlights and tail lights work, the engine starts & runs, and A/C on/off button lights up with the lights. The batt. idiot light comes on dim, so dim, in fact, that it can only be seen when it's dark outside.

Back to checking the ECU, and all ground points again...triple checking the fusible links...
Old 09-30-2003, 03:30 PM

well when the alternator died when it was running everything wnt out except the headlights and the radio lights...A/C wasnt on so i dont know about it...and it ran a while with out the alternator so if you batterys got a good charge to it then it could still turn over...i dont know about tail lights though

i did notice when it did go out my tachometer stopped working too but the spedo kept working...your tach not going when your running?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:58 AM

Yes, my tach is toally dead...nothing works...however, I think I may have found the problem...See my new thread for details...
Old 10-01-2003, 05:57 PM

well mines fixed...new alternator and then for some reason the fusable links got dislodged so we popped it back in and it ran better and my dome lights worked...

could the alternator going out possibly surged or arced at the fusable link causing it to pop out a little bit?

just wondering..all is fixed, stable electric current and it doesent dip any more...battery light went off to..
Old 10-01-2003, 10:13 PM

I highly doubt it would push the fusible links out, but you never know. Good job fixing it
Old 10-01-2003, 11:31 PM

i went for a drive at night and all the guage lights and signal lights are alot brighter...headlights seem a bit dim but they are better than they were