1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

changing belts on 87 Max...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 05:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

changing belts on 87 Max...

im changing the belts on my Max, do i need the belt tensioner tool, to make sure i have the right tension, or could i just wing it? what do i have to loosen to be able to take the belts off? wheres the adjuster nut/bolt(s)? theres plenty of coolant hoses in the way, should i disconnect these then refill the radiator with more fluid when im done? i dont have a repair manual so i dont have much to go by, so does anybody have the torque specs to tighten everything back down correctly? do i even need to worry about the torque specs?

also how do i change the fuel filter? do i have to drop the gas tank?

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I love lamp.

You shouldn't need a tensioner tool to tighten the belts. There should only be 1 or so of deflection, or you can try twisting the belt. You want it tight enough that you can only twist the belt 90 degrees. So don't waste your money on tool you'll use probably only once. As for the fuel filter, that's located in the engine compartment beside the brake booster. Basically to change it, you need to relieve the fuel pressure by one, taking off the gas cap, removing the fuse for the fuel pump, and running the motor until it dies. Once it dies, try to crank it over a few times to make sure it doesn't have any fuel. Then you just pop the clamps on the fuel filter, pull the hoses, and put the new filter in. Put the gas cap back on, and plug the fuse back in, start the car, check for leaks and your set to go.

S
Old 02-11-2004, 02:56 PM

You may have finnished already but no the less..
There are three things you need to loosen, one for each belt. The first belt to remove is the Power steering (going by factory service manual) to do this there is a little pulley/tensioner that is located next to the crank pulley. On the under side is a bolt, I thikn you turn it counterclowise to bring it down, that will make it so you can get that one off. Next I did the alternator, there is a bolt that sticks out (best descripton I can think of) with two nuts on it that hook to a braket on the lower side of the alternator, loosen the bolts so they are about 1/4 or the bolt away from the end, the if it hasnt come loose yet, tap it with a hammer till the alternator is loose enough to remove the belt. The A/C (if you have a/c) is a fun one to find. There is a braket that is on the passenger side of the A/c compressor on the top that has a pulley on it. right above the pulley is a small bolt that you need to loosen to relieve the tension on pulley. Once that is done slip the alternator and a/c pulleys through the hooks on the a/c compressor to remove and take the pw steering belt off and replace. Be carefull putting the alternator and A/c belts through the hooks, you dont want to damage them. Good luck. It helps to drain the coolant lines and remove the overflow resevoir and main coolant line that runs to the water pump to get to the belts.
Have fun
Old 02-12-2004, 05:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, ill take the advice.

Dave