1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

87 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

87 Won't start

Just got my thermostat replaced and now it won't start! Brought it back to the mechanic and they replaced the spark plugs ($75) and it started...once. They say I may need a new fuel regulator (and that it is just a coincidence that it started happening after the 1st repair). Any other ideas?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Elfboy
Just got my thermostat replaced and now it won't start! Brought it back to the mechanic and they replaced the spark plugs ($75) and it started...once. They say I may need a new fuel regulator (and that it is just a coincidence that it started happening after the 1st repair). Any other ideas?
I know when my regulator went bad it didn't keep the car from running it just ran like crap.to me it almost sounds like something came loose and the shop is sticking it to you IMO.I would be looking at wires to make sure there al connected tightly.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Blown

maybe you have corrosion on battery posts? or the battery wires are not making contact with the post?....I have had similar problems....but this is just a guess.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:13 PM

I had this happen with a beretta I used to have. Had a compressor replaced and the car wouldn't start the next morning. Said that the reason the pump went bad was the timing belt was about to break and that is why the car wouldn't start now! How stupid is that? They actually expected me to believe them.

I got out the chilton's manual and traced every vacuum line and every wire in the engine compartment. Turns out they had deliberately loosened the main line to the coil packs. It ran until I got it home and on the way vibrated loose enough to not let it start the next morning.

When I accused them of it they hung up. Two months later they were in the paper for fraud.

Glad they got their's

speakeraddict
Old 03-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

One thing I forgot to mention was that (when it does start) it hesitates from a dead stop, but otherwise seems to run fine. Also it seems to start more easily when it has been sitting for a while.
keith_u, that's similar to what I was thinking. They did replace a electrical lead to the fuel regulator and a small vacuum hose.
cardana, I thought of that too but the terminals look good.
speakeraddict, these guys are supposed to have a good rep, (but it only takes one bad mechanic...), I think in this case that it is more inexperience (with Nissan) than fraud, but if they try to charge me much more I will make sure to let everyone know of my experience.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Elfboy

More likely they moved the harness around going to the Head Temp Sensor and now its not making a good connection . They are bad for corroding and once touched will not make good contact anymore . Its right there where they were working yet not really there fault if its corrode . I dought your regulator is causing your car not to start .
Check the Head temp senosr and harrness and replace both if corroded . It buried and inda of a pita to replace with out the right tools .
Old 03-16-2004, 05:18 PM
I love lamp.

No doubt, lots of time, right tools, and crapload of patience to get to that thing!

S
Old 03-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by spddracer
More likely they moved the harness around going to the Head Temp Sensor and now its not making a good connection . They are bad for corroding and once touched will not make good contact anymore.
Thanks spddracer, I'll look into that in a couple of days (when the weather is better!). I got the car started and drove it home (running like sh*t) and poked around--removed the Cruise Control thingy and checked some hoses. It then started right up and ran perfectly. Once in a while it starts hesitating again (feels like its missing badly). Is that consistent with a bad Head Temp Sensor?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:55 AM

Yeah, a CHTS can do that...and when you were in there moving things, you MAY have gotten a better connection than it had, hence the better running, etc...but still not a proper conenction, resulting in the persistant miss and stumble...
Old 03-18-2004, 02:29 PM

Mine would not start after I replced the thermostat...cept my problem was bad wire connections. I dont know why but the previous owner had the main harness connected with pluming tape. I would shake the harnes and it would start. I doubt this is your problem since it sometime starts. Mayve they gapped your plugs bad?
Old 03-18-2004, 03:16 PM
I love lamp.

Don't these cars also have a nasty tendency of getting corroded connections on top of that? That seems to be the case lately.

S