Advice on removing Cat 88" SE - Maxima Forums

1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Advice on removing Cat 88" SE

Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

Advice on removing Cat 88" SE

Hey guys, I have a stock intake manifold and a custom CAI. Should I go straight pipe to a muffler now? Don't want to invest in a new cat and don't have to have emissions anymore. Do I need to have computer by-pass or sensor tricks to keep fuel/air trim ok? Can anyone point out where the pre-cat is located? I've read that this was also removed in someone's post

lowpost99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Newbie - Just Registered

I dont believe removing your cat is going to cause the air-fuel to go outa whack. If what you mean by pre-cat is a second cat (Which i didnt realize they did this in the 80's) then it should be just after the exhaust manifold/header. Or atleast thats what i see on all my newer cars. Although i have no experience with these maximas. My 86' Z didnt have a pre-cat.
83maxattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #3

You mean a reasonator I think between the muffler and the cat. A11WPower has a build thread where he mentioned removing the pre-cat... maybe I get a photo from him. I did his CAI, and throttle upgrades(stanza) original intake and headers.. just don't want to a freak out between the O2 sensors and computer...any particular pattern I need to ask for? 2.5" in or 3"? I believe 2.5" is stock.
lowpost99 is offline   Reply With Quote