3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Front end axle clunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 08:31 AM

I have a 93 GXE. The front end clunks/knocks when going over small road bumps at low speeds. I took off the wheel and the hub and strut appear to be fine, no movement when I try to rock side to side, up and down, or in and out while up on a jack.

However, when I grab the actual axle shaft between the hub and trans, it has in-and-out play from the hub to the trans. It's an auto trans if that matters. It would seem to me that it needs a spacer or something to get rid of the play and I assume the clunking sound.

Am I in the right ballpark here as far as diagnosis? Is there a cheapo fix or do I have to (gulp...) install new axle shafts?

If there is a "right way" and an alternative "cheap way" to fix, I'd like to hear both. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2000, 08:56 AM

axle clunk

There will always be play in the half-shaft. This is to accomodate the up and down movement of the wheel. This will be especially noticeable when you have the car jacked up and the wheel hanging. Noises in the front end while going over bumps are almost always suspension related - even though the strut may "look" fine, it may very well be bad. Also, the rubber sleeves on the ends of the coil springs may have worn out. Halfshafts or CV-Joints make a howling or grinding noise (sometimes only when turning) when they are going.

Good Luck

Old 08-08-2002, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Axle clunk

I just purchased a 93 GXE that is having what sounds to be the exact same problem. Did you ever find a fix for it?
Old 08-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my 91 GXE did the same. Here's what was wrong with mine. One of the engine mounts was very bad letting the engine move up about 2-3 inches therefor pulling in on the axles. When it pulled the axles in it pulled the struts in with it. The struts were only made to do an up/down movement so side to side is very bad. Well, it screwed up the strut mounts (i think thats what the guy said) and the piece to replace costs 55 dollars. Labor for someone else to do it is 90 dollars. So, it's about ~$140 something for each side. I said screw it, i'm doing it myself cause it shouldn't be too bad to do. Parts will cost 110 though. It's nothing dangerous the guy said, just annoying. What you might do to check the motor mount is have someone watch the engine while you put it into gear and stuff, see if the engine moces a lot. That should work, from what i've seen talked about on here. If not, you will probably have to take it to a mechanic and tell him you neet those checked out.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:42 PM

If it's not the struts themselves, I'd guess the motor mounts, too. Although, with bad motor mounts, you usually get a clunk when you first take off from a stop.

Good Luck,

Kirk
Old 08-08-2002, 02:08 PM

mine didn't clunk when i took off... and i really take off, foot to the floor all of the time. when i get a chance to look at mine i'll let you guys know more in detail of what's going on.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:10 PM

axle problem

wasup....... i got a problem maybe someone can help me, i got a 90se, my cuz and i replaced the driverside axle. when i accelerate the steering or steering wheel sways from left to right or right to left on its own. it wasn't doing it before and now it's doing it. i took my car to wheel alignment and put good tires on the front but it still does it. what the hell can it be? i'm really stressed out about it.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine did the same thing, i think tranny fluid drained onto the bushings around that area causing them to become all lubed, so I sprayed some degreaser down there and hosed it off real good and it helped, not completely , but some.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:41 AM

Re: axle problem

Originally posted by furious max
wasup....... i got a problem maybe someone can help me, i got a 90se, my cuz and i replaced the driverside axle. when i accelerate the steering or steering wheel sways from left to right or right to left on its own. ...
Originally posted by furious max
axle question
wasup... i have a problem, i have a 90se and my cuz and i put a new front right axle today and for some reason it ride different. 1.it rides to the left and some how when i'm driving the steering or steering wheel sways a little to the left and right. one more question when my cuz pulled out the axle i lost about 2 quarts of oil. what kind of oil can i use. thanks for the help f.max......

furious--

I think you are trying to describe the phenomenon of "thrust steering." When I replaced the driver's side axle the thrust steering became more pronounce. When I then replaced the passenger's side axle the phenomenon was much less noticeable. I attributed this to the un-equal wear of the CV joints.

However, there are other possible causes for this problem, perhaps driving it down two quarts of oil damaged the limited slip differential clutch packs, if your car is so equiped?

"A short course on wheel alignment" --

http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm

--SAM
Old 09-19-2002, 11:23 AM

AXLE PROBLEM

THANKS GUYS I WILL TRY OUT THESE SUGGESTIONS.......
Old 09-19-2002, 07:22 PM

If you haven't done this yet, check the sway bar tension bar mount going into the lower control arm.

These arms tend to wear and corrode to the point that the bar will start to hit the control arm (bushings no longer work), creating a clunking sound when going over bumps.

Tim