3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VTC ?$?$?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 05:13 AM

I recently bought a 1993 SE 5spd and I 've been on reading up on the forum for a while now and people talk about a VTC problem with the VE engine.

My car has 100K on it and runs like new. Usually what would cause a VTC poblem and how much to get it fixed if it even happens to me?
Old 12-20-2000, 08:51 AM
davis449

It depends on a lot of things. If you have the repair records from the previous owner, look and see if they've ever had them replace or "fixed". When I say "fixed" I mean when the Nissan Dealer puts a kit on them that solves the problem for a little while. I have a '93 SE 5spd also and my VTC gears have been replace before and now they're going out again at 112,000 miles. I don't know exactly why they go out but I believe it's just faulty/poor design. Make sure you get oil changes at 3,000 miles and do not fail on this. Studies have shown that Maximas with very regular oil changes don't have near as much trouble with the VTC.

Old 12-20-2000, 09:18 AM

How much does is cost to repair when you have a VTC problem????
Old 12-20-2000, 11:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well I'll comment on this situation again. I'll try to be as complete as possible so this is gonna be long!

The following comments are my opinion only based on past experience and hands on work. Following the information below is at the reader's discretion and I take no responsiblity for your actions.

Function::
Let's start w/ the function of the VTC assemblies. These assemblies are mounted on the intake cam. So there are two total. At a certain rpm/load, the VTC solenoid is de-activated and oil stops flowing to the assembly. This allows the intake cam to rotate and advance up to about 8-9 degrees. This helps high rpm hp and torque.

Why they go bad::
Now because these assemblies are hydraulicly operated(engine oil pressure) this is where the problem begins. The VTC assemblies are very high up on the heads(see sig pic for reference) This means during start-up these assemblies are probably the one of the last things to get oil. Along with this, the oil gallies leading up from the oil pan are fairly small. So any clogging of these gallies from sludge will only slow the time and quantity of oil that these assemblies receive.

Indications of VTC failure::
Usually you will hear a *tick* when the car is cold(like a loose valve tick) and it will go away after a few seconds. When they start to get worse you will hear the tick when the car is warm and you must *lug* the engine is low gear to get rid of the tick. Finally the damn things will tick all the time! I think what's happening is that the springs inside the assemblies slowly start to get weak when they don't get enough oil.

Preventative maintainance::
The best thing you can do to prevent VTC failure is to CHANGE YOUR OIL REGULARLY. Remember sludge is the enemy here. Also using a oil filter that has the proper anti-drain back valve is also important. This keeps the oil pressure up as much as possible when the engine is turned off. This gets oil to the upper heads as fast as possible durning start up. Nissan oil filters are recommended and Nissan choose to use a special filter for the 92-94 SEs. Not the standard "blue" Nissan filter. Also consider switching to synthetics if possible.

Solutions for pre-existing problems::
Now if you already have the dreaded failure and you can no longer stand the *tick* sound, you gotta have them fixed. (Note: some have used the method of grounding the solenoids but I have no experience with this) There are two options for fixing the VTC assemblies. Either way you have to either take them off yourself or have a mechanic do it. You can have one or both VTCs rebuilt. The kit only costs about $40. But you must have access to a 2k press in order to take them apart and you MUST mark everything before taking them apart. One mistake and the VTC will live to click again! The track record for rebuild VTCs lasting is not that great. The second option is to have new VTC assemblies installed. Be forewarned, these assemblies run about $400 each! Not cheap! There are two Nissan Technical Service Bulletins that deal with the proper installation of these items. And they should be followed if you want these new assemblies to last. They deal with making sure the oil gallies are clean. If not, even the new ones will fail again. Warning! Even if you get these done at Nissan, that is not guarantee that they will follow the TSB! Some Nissan techs are lazy-asses! If you have Nissan do the repair, make sure they are aware of the TSB and make sure you they follow it!

Costs::
Cost for the VTC repair by a Nissan mechanic w/ new assemblies will run about $1600 or $2000 for both sides.

Is the VTC repair a DIY job?
Well yes and no. Yes if you are fairly experienced with auto mechanics. If not, forget it. There are too many things to screw up for the amatuer to attempt. If you can do a 5-sp clutch job yourself, then you could probably do this also.

[Edited by Jeff92se on 01-03-2001 at 03:31 PM]
Old 12-26-2000, 01:52 PM

this should be FAQ!

FAQ U! .