3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What's going on with my A/T?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 10:51 PM

What's going on with my A/T?!

In normal driving, everytime I push the gas a little hard to pick up speed, the RPM's climb up to 6 and the car doesn't go any faster. So, now I have to use the overdrive to get up to the speed limit. It doesn't even depend on which gear It's in, if I step too hard it just over rev's and I don't even gain an extra MPH . I think its the Torque converter, but I'd like other opinions before I go to the mechanic. Thanks for answering.

1993 Maxima VG engine A/T
Old 10-14-2002, 05:24 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: What's going on with my A/T?!

Originally posted by gottriceguy
In normal driving, everytime I push the gas a little hard to pick up speed, the RPM's climb up to 6 and the car doesn't go any faster. So, now I have to use the overdrive to get up to the speed limit. It doesn't even depend on which gear It's in, if I step too hard it just over rev's and I don't even gain an extra MPH . I think its the Torque converter, but I'd like other opinions before I go to the mechanic. Thanks for answering.

1993 Maxima VG engine A/T
say it with me...."TRANNY REBUILD TIME"...sorry bud.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:05 AM

Re: Re: What's going on with my A/T?!

I think the 3rd gen forum has seen MANY cases of transmission failure. My question is, is the transmission truely weak or do they fail because they're simply neglected? Lets find out.

gottriceguy,

How long have you owned the car? In that time how many miles have you put on the car? Have you ever had the transmission fluid flushed? Do you have a transmission cooler? Do you monitor your transmission fluid level/color?
Old 10-14-2002, 09:25 AM
STFU n00b!

the auto trannies are notably weak. the 89-91 were the worst, but the 92-94 are only slightly better.

most of it is due to neglect and hard driving, but I know of many people that have had to replace theirs in under 100k miles of "regular, responsible driving".
Old 10-14-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
the auto trannies are notably weak. the 89-91 were the worst, but the 92-94 are only slightly better.

most of it is due to neglect and hard driving, but I know of many people that have had to replace theirs in under 100k miles of "regular, responsible driving".
Yeap. I too have had to replace the auto tranny on my stanza. It's the same one on the maxima. The reason for mine dying is because I abused it. Not driving hard, I had a busted radiator and so on, overheated the transmission real nice and proper.

However, I still think the transmissions failing is due to neglegence. If you keep a constant eye on it, the fluid will tell you when it wants to be changed, even if it's not the scheduled interval, simply check out the color. *I have yet to see one of these transmissions failing with nice robust pink fluid in it. They're all brown and burnt.*

On the transmission on my Stanza now, I was lucky to get one with 30k. I race the **** out of the Stanza (on the track of course) and I've always canged the fluid when it signaled me too. I have had to change the fluid around every 20k instead of 30k. Up to this day I have no problems what so ever, this is about 2 years later.

Even a slight mention of chrischeezer. He recently posted how his transmission was slipping. I suggested having it flushhed. He decided to 'ghetto' flush it. Now he says it shifts beautifully. Had he continued to drive on the old fluid, then he would have had problems only rebuilding could solve. I honestly don't believe the people who have had transmission fail took care of the transmission.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Sudesh

Yeap. I too have had to replace the auto tranny on my stanza. It's the same one on the maxima. The reason for mine dying is because I abused it. Not driving hard, I had a busted radiator and so on, overheated the transmission real nice and proper.

However, I still think the transmissions failing is due to neglegence. If you keep a constant eye on it, the fluid will tell you when it wants to be changed, even if it's not the scheduled interval, simply check out the color. *I have yet to see one of these transmissions failing with nice robust pink fluid in it. They're all brown and burnt.*

On the transmission on my Stanza now, I was lucky to get one with 30k. I race the **** out of the Stanza (on the track of course) and I've always canged the fluid when it signaled me too. I have had to change the fluid around every 20k instead of 30k. Up to this day I have no problems what so ever, this is about 2 years later.

Even a slight mention of chrischeezer. He recently posted how his transmission was slipping. I suggested having it flushhed. He decided to 'ghetto' flush it. Now he says it shifts beautifully. Had he continued to drive on the old fluid, then he would have had problems only rebuilding could solve. I honestly don't believe the people who have had transmission fail took care of the transmission.
Thanks for lettin me realize the truth. I have been driving my car pretty hard. So, how much is it gonna cost me to get my baby runnin good again? And which one is better to do, get a new transmission or rebuild?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by gottriceguy

Thanks for lettin me realize the truth. I have been driving my car pretty hard. So, how much is it gonna cost me to get my baby runnin good again? And which one is better to do, get a new transmission or rebuild?

It's always better to get a rebuilt transmission with a warranty. Make sure you get a warranty. Buying a used transmission is taking a risk, alot of the times a junk yard will lie about the number of miles on the transmission and you can never be sure about how much longer it has to run good. You don't know if the previous owner took care of it and so on. I would suggest you contact the folks at www.phoenixhardparts.com and get a rebuilt transmission from there. It comes with a 6 month warranty. Also the cheapest price for a rebuilt tranny i've seen.