3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Do worn axles make a clunking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 04:03 PM
dancer

Do worn axles make a clunking noise?

I've searched this subject and asked for help a couple of months ago but I'm no closer to a solution. I'm getting a clunking noise at power on / power off somewhere by the left front wheel. Front wheel bearings have been replaced. I've paid two different shops to look it over. They both tell me the suspension bushings are okay, ditto the tie rod ends. Any ideas would be appreciated. The only other thing I can think of is some slop from a worn axle (I have 201K mi).

Old 02-07-2003, 05:50 PM

You just answered your own question. If youve checked everything else then that leaves you with???????????
Old 02-08-2003, 04:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

He said the only thing HE could think of was a worn axle. *******, spend time answering ppls questions instead of being an idiot. I think he is requesting other peoples opinions on what could be wrong with it. I personally have no idea, just had to point out the stupidass comments by you arrogant fools. Try your ball joints, struts etc... I really dont know
Old 02-08-2003, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by tawd
He said the only thing HE could think of was a worn axle. *******, spend time answering ppls questions instead of being an idiot. I think he is requesting other peoples opinions on what could be wrong with it. I personally have no idea, just had to point out the stupidass comments by you arrogant fools. Try your ball joints, struts etc... I really dont know

Oh so you finally posted something. Congrats If people would "SEARCH" then we wouldnt have this problem. I just did a search and got 12 results. Its not that hard.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:52 AM

check your struts

I experienced a similar problem recently. Everytime i turned i heard a knocking sound and i found out i had 2 worn front struts. This also cause my front two tires to ware down to the cords on the inside. Lucky i saw this soon enough. Since i replaced the struts and new tires i have not heard this noise and the steering is better than ever.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:56 AM
dancer

Originally posted by tawd
Tawd, thanks for treating like an intelligent but uninformed person. My experience is that my quality of life is improved by sharing what I know. When I give, I'm more likely to receive. Some people don't seem to understand that principle; they seem more interested in vaunting their own perceived wisdom. I don't post very ofter because most (but not all) of my questions can be answered by using the search function. All I'm after is to find out if someone else has had the symptoms I've described and then tell me if they sere able to identify the cause.

Old 02-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Do worn axles make a clunking noise?

Originally posted by dancer
I've searched this subject and asked for help a couple of months ago but I'm no closer to a solution. I'm getting a clunking noise at power on / power off somewhere by the left front wheel. Front wheel bearings have been replaced. I've paid two different shops to look it over. They both tell me the suspension bushings are okay, ditto the tie rod ends. Any ideas would be appreciated. The only other thing I can think of is some slop from a worn axle (I have 201K mi).
If you are refering to worn axle as including Constant Velocity Joint you could be right. You can hear it very easily by driving with your window down with the side noise is coming from next to a wall or side of building at a low speed. That is how I found mine on my Audi. Hope this helps!
Old 02-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No problem dancer. It just irritates me that these guys dont
try to help out. Some newbies have not figured out there is
a search feature. So when they ask a question, someone tells
them off. Half of the idiots here just do simple stupidass answers
to make their rating higher on maxima.org. If you think having a high rating at maxima.org makes you cool you are sadly mistaken. It makes you look like a huge ******* with absolutely nothing better to do. I dont want to knock the community as a whole, but all the posts I have read through are people trying to make the newbies look like idiots. Good luck with your problem dancer. Hopefully its a cheap fix.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

such anger from the newbies

Just messing with yall.

the search is a wonderful feature.

a clunk can be caused from a number of things usually if its a cv though its more noticeable when you turn. A worn strut bushing could do it too aside from the other stuff the mechanic has checked.

You have me a little confused about the power on / power off statement. What exactly do you mean by that...When you crank it or turn it off?
Old 02-09-2003, 09:46 PM

CV joints usually make a click click click noise or a grinding noise.
I replaced both of mine. cost $60 each at autozone plus a core charge.

The clunk sound more like the sway bar links. It did it to me when in turns and accelerating hardor hitting the brakes. sway bar links $30.
hope that helps.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:31 PM

Re: Do worn axles make a clunking noise?

Hi, dancer.

Did you verify any gap in the differential gears? The problem may be there...