3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Checking out a 92 Maxima, few questions, reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 01:15 PM

Checking out a 91 Maxima, few questions, reliability?

Alright it's a 91, with 130,000 miles not sure on the options, but it's probably automatic. They're asking $2300. I think they still came with the vg30de in 92 right? But the SE's came with the ve? Were the SE's available as autos? This seems like a good deal so I'll check it out even though I would prefer a manual. I'm not sure about auto reliability, but how long do auto's usually last? Are they weak? Do you have a lot of problems with them?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

92-94SE = VE30DE engine
all other 3rd gens = VG30E engine

GXE = all auto
SE = manual with auto as an option

the auto trannies on these cars aren't that great, but 92-94 seem to be a little better than the earlier ones

check out the FAQs for more info
Old 05-17-2003, 04:13 PM

Alright I checked it out, it's a vg30, it's actually a 91, I missed typed. The exterior was pretty much great, except for a bra in the front, it was white with a Bose system. She hasn't driven it in 2 weeks, and said it was hard to start. When I started it up, it was all shaky but then smoothed out a minute later when I drove it. Well there's a few problems. Right now she's going to get the brakes fixed. I'm guessing the engine just needs a tune up to get it running straight again, but again I had my 88 run bad because the connections to the injectors were crap.The car will need aligment, it pulled to the right. Right around where the oil is poured in there seems to be white smoke coming out. And she said she looses coolant and has to add it, every while, not in the winter, but it looses it in the summer when the a/c is on and stuff. She said the radiator was checked and it has no leaks. That's what I'm worried about. Because she said she will sell it for $2000. I only got $2150, and my parents would chip in a bit. I'm worried how much it would take to fix that. Today she has no more time. So I would have to wait it off till tuesday, since the mechanic isn't open on Sunday. I'm planning to take it to a mechanic if it will be still for sale.

How long do you think that auto tranny will last for without problems?

But in a little I might check out a 5spd Integra, with rust on the back wheels, and hatch, and a missing radio. I'd like the Maxima more but the Integra will leave me with more than a grand extra in my pocket, it's 5spd, with new clutch, tires and other crap. 70k miles. I'm not sure what to do, I'm hoping to get a job after I get the car, but I wonder if there's a lot of openings.

Thanks for the info,
Mike
Old 05-17-2003, 04:44 PM

I'd keep looking, neither car sound that great.

I got my '89 last year for $2200 and it had new tires, and it was loaded with features. No rust to speak of, and it was running perfectly. Granted, I'm putting fuel injectors in it right now, but that could happen with any car with high milage.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:28 PM

I've decided to keep going, the tranny on the integra was crap. And the car should already run good when I'm there to drive it.

I should kept my damn car, for $400, kept the $1600 from the insurance, the doors just wouldn't open in the back, and the wheel rubbed a little but that can be hammered out, the fuel tank dropped too *sigh*, i'm an idiot.

Thanks for the advice
Old 05-17-2003, 09:23 PM

take your time and get a 5spd youll thanks yourself for it latter
Old 05-18-2003, 01:13 PM

Yeah l'd look around alittle more, those 2 vehicles sound alittle rough, the Maxima sounds like the head gasket is shot, and l don't like the rust on the other. Save up some $$$ and get yourself a decent car!
Good luck and let us know when you buy!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:37 PM

Well I got a '90 Celica GT, manual. The car I really wanted was a 240sx but I didn't like waiting and looking for one so I decided to check it out, I just wanted something that won't give me problems. I wasn't too sure because it had 177,000. The guy said he's a mechanic and took good care of it. It looked good, no rust, the paint was a little crappy because someone painted it, but not THAT bad. I've got a guy that my friend knows, he was a mechanic but does body work now. After testing it he gave me a thumbs up. I was suprised how well it ran. Well I ended up taking it. I'm still a little rusty on the starts, but it's my first time driving manual. I'm getting my old Airwalk shoes out because these are too big and loose, bought them because the old shoes were the same size and didn't try them out well, I think I will be more precise with the old shoes, have a better feel of the clutch. After I go register it and insure it, I'm going to an open lot to get a feel for it. I only drove around the block a few times today. I'll work on my starts, because after getting going the shifting is all good.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by todamax
I'd keep looking, neither car sound that great.

I got my '89 last year for $2200 and it had new tires, and it was loaded with features. No rust to speak of, and it was running perfectly. Granted, I'm putting fuel injectors in it right now, but that could happen with any car with high milage.
How much are your injectors running you?
Old 05-19-2003, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by 89sks

How much are your injectors running you?
New injectors run $125 from nissan w/o o-rings, but you can pick up remanufactured ones w/ o-rings for $42 + core from directauto.com. To the best of my knowledge many maxima.org members have used these injectors, including myself and have had no problems to speak of.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:20 AM

Good to know! Thanks!