3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Axle keeps slipping out when I drive.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 07:33 PM

Axle keeps slipping out when I drive.

I'm starting a new thread now that I know what the problem is.

After replacing my bearings and assembling everything together my drivers side axle will not lock into the transmission, I can easily push and pull it out by hand unlike the passenger side. So is it the snap ring? Or the groove that holds the snap ring in place with in the transmission? Or maybe I'm just assembling the components that attaches to the knuckle improperly... Thanks in advance for any help...

I'll go through the FAQ for more research.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:07 PM
STFU n00b!

Is the snap ring actually on the axle?
is the axle completely seated inside the tranny?
how are your suspension bushings? if they're REALLY worn, the control arm coupld pul away from the tranny enough to cause problems, but I highly doubt that's the case.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:24 AM

The snap ring is on the axle loosely but securely, it couldnt come off on its own. When I intsalled the components I made sure the transaxle went in all the way i couldnt push it in anymore. As far as the bushings I'm not sure but I'll check tomorrow. I havent had any prior problems with the axle until I removed the knuckle and installed the new bearing.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:35 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

That sounds like the snap ring. When I got my new axles, I had that problem and it ended up being the snap rings were not in as secure as they should be.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:23 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

I got a question for you

If you're sure you did everything correct and all parts seem to be in order, did you make sure the axle you took out was the same length/size as the new one? Maybe your new axle couple cm too short. Is it possible, yes it is. During the rebuild process parts could have been mixed up or miss labled, we are human Of course I'm referring to the company how had rebuild "that" axle
Old 05-31-2003, 08:17 AM
STFU n00b!

are you SURE that ring is seated in the tranny?if it's a loose fit, then it may not actually be getting into the tranny where it's supposed to because it feels like it's bottomed out already.

when you put the axle in, crawl under the car and look at the space between the inner CV joint and the side of the tranny. there should be very little room. like 1/4-1/2". if there's more room, then take a rubber mallet and whack on the end of the axle until it pops in. the snap ring will stop it about 3/4" or so out of the tranny, then click in at 1/4- 1/2".
Old 05-31-2003, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by nubiannupe
That sounds like the snap ring. When I got my new axles, I had that problem and it ended up being the snap rings were not in as secure as they should be.
Is there anyway to fix the snap ring? Replace it? Or do I have to buy a whole new axle?

BTW count me as memeber #4 of your 3rd gen charcoal gray maxima club. I wish I had some pictures.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:39 AM

Re: I got a question for you

Originally posted by CandiMan
If you're sure you did everything correct and all parts seem to be in order, did you make sure the axle you took out was the same length/size as the new one? Maybe your new axle couple cm too short. Is it possible, yes it is. During the rebuild process parts could have been mixed up or miss labled, we are human Of course I'm referring to the company how had rebuild "that" axle
If the axle is not the correct length then how come it didnt slip out previously? I had my struts and springs replaced after my axle replacment and it didnt slip, but I had a shop do it so maybe they did it correctly. At one point I did think that the axle is too short. But when I remove all the components and intall the axle into place I can feel the end of the transaxle shaft hitting the "inside wall" of the tranny cylinder. Maybe the axle is too long thats why the snap ring isnt engaging with the snap ring groove?

Because there are like 9 different axles for the 3rd gen its possible someone messed up the rebuild.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: I got a question for you

Originally posted by LegitMafiaBoss If the axle is not the correct length then how come it didnt slip out previously? I had my struts and springs replaced after my axle replacment and it didnt slip, but I had a shop do it so maybe they did it correctly. At one point I did think that the axle is too short. But when I remove all the components and intall the axle into place I can feel the end of the transaxle shaft hitting the "inside wall" of the tranny cylinder. Maybe the axle is too long thats why the snap ring isnt engaging with the snap ring groove? Because there are like 9 different axles for the 3rd gen its possible someone messed up the rebuild.
My mistake, I thought this was a new axle that went in. If you're able to pull/push the axle assy in/out the tranny case by hand that's definately not correct. Have you taken the axle back out for a closer look see. If the clip is compressed too much it will not have the proper tension when installing (as you already know) Pull the axle out, check the clip, spread if needed, re-install. If the axle doesn't go into the tranny case with normal resistance don't go any further, you'll be back to square one. After re-reading your original post this is a interesting one, appearantly this problem did not occur untill you changed the bearing assy so I'm incline to think something went wrong during your bearing change. But the problem is on the tranny end of the axle and not the bearing end.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:16 PM

I have no idea how the axle came out when I was doing the bearing. How hard is it to remove an old axle from the tranny? Does it damage or bend the snap ring?
Old 06-20-2003, 04:23 AM

Re: Axle keeps slipping out when I drive.

Originally posted by LegitMafiaBoss
I'm starting a new thread now that I know what the problem is.

After replacing my bearings and assembling everything together my drivers side axle will not lock into the transmission, I can easily push and pull it out by hand unlike the passenger side. So is it the snap ring? Or the groove that holds the snap ring in place with in the transmission? Or maybe I'm just assembling the components that attaches to the knuckle improperly... Thanks in advance for any help...

I'll go through the FAQ for more research.

I had same problem with my NX - you'll need to replace the snap ring. Get one at any auto-parts store or the shop you got the axle rebuilt / replaced. Your old ring too loose to lock into place - look at the groove on the axle and that's the size of the groove in the trans housing.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:13 AM

I fixed it by expanding the snap ring a little and through trial and error push in/out the axle until it would lock into the groove.