3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Could REALLY use some help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 08:14 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

No secret that I've got some persistant fitment issues with the gen3 y-pipes. Its driving me nuts, as I have pictures of my gen3 y-pipe that fit VG30E-eqipped cars just fine. But others are hanging down too far. They come of the same jigs.

Not to **** anyone off, but I think the variable is the condition of engine mounts. Couple of my customers have replaced theirs and the problem ends, but its a big world out there, I think a lot of mounts are not in too good of shape, and all I can really do is come up with a part that's tucked up there so far that it won't hang down if the mounts are totally shot.

I've been working with a fantastic shop in Phoenix that does very high quality stainless steel work, they're excellent fabricators, can make a jig that will produce pipes that are within 1/100" of each other, and their TIG welding is an art form.

But what I need is a car to do some fitment with, we/re just working blind otherwise. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone within a few miles of the Phoenix area. Ideally both a VG30E and VE30DE owner. I'd only need one of the types for a development day, but would need the other for a test fitment. I'll discount a stainless pipe to $250 in return to being able to use someones car for a day to work out a whole new design (no more than one day down time, morning to evening, plus another appointment for installation of the finished pipe). I'd need to check the fitment on the engine type I don't do the development on, so I'll offer a big discount for that help too, the amount depending on how long we'd need it.

In either case, its free installation, too.

Help me get Cattman Performance back on track with the gen3 community. I developed the gen3 pipe long before anyone else would take a chance on it; we make the best stainless steel gen4 and 5 pipes in the world, no reason the gen3 can't be up there too, with a new design that anyone can be confident about.

Will look forward to hearing from interested parties. Please write to bcatts@earthlink.net.

Brian

Old 02-01-2001, 01:00 PM

Bryan91SE got new engine mounts and it did not solve his Y-pipe problem. Also, not many of us live in Phoenix.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:34 PM

New engine mounts didn't solve my clearance problems either. The new mounts did work for a while but once they softened up after a few 1000 miles, the y-pipe began hitting my sway bar again. Also, my Cattman y-pipe is totally destroyed from hitting the ground and I'm going to have to spend another $300 to replace it with a WSP. Unless you're willing to take responsibility for the design flaws in your product and replace the defective ones, I have no interest in purchasing any more of your products. I'm not trying to badmouth you. Just dissapointed with this y-pipe and, unfortunately, I'm not located in the Phoenix area.

-Jeremy
Old 02-01-2001, 02:55 PM
ckcie

I'm not sure that it's the engine mounts problem but the less accomodating shape of the other engines (i.e. VE30E).
Just a guess. That might be obvious.

I'd let you work on my Max but I'm not anywhere near Pheonix.

Old 02-01-2001, 05:22 PM

my engine mounts are fine

I don't have any problem with sway bar, but the pipe is beat to snot. I baby my car, 6 years no dings or big scratchs, the pipe just ain't right.

If you want to get right, perfect the Y, and give a worthwhile rebate in exchange for a ss modle. Do that and you can put me down for a JWT ECU
Old 02-02-2001, 09:00 PM

thats why this forum is so great

not.

**** boy will be hot, and such meaninfull threads die quietly
Old 02-04-2001, 08:26 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I'm so disappointed.....I never got to see it after my post. Has he been drummed off the forum?