3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

90 SE won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 02:38 PM
secoske

90 SE won't start

Hey everyone,

I have a 90 SE automatic that won't start. Here's the scoop:
The battery wore down on it about two months ago. I've tried jump starting it, but as soon as I get the jumper cables connected, the horn starts blaring, and the car still won't start. I've looked at all my fuses, and am going to get all of the relays checked, but I don't know if that will help... I'm assuming that its the anti-theft system, but I don't have a clue as to how to reset it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 05-05-2002, 09:14 AM

Re: 90 SE won't start

Originally posted by secoske
Hey everyone,

The battery wore down on it about two months ago. I've tried jump starting it, but as soon as I get the jumper cables connected, the horn starts blaring, and the car still won't start. I've looked at all my fuses, and am going to get all of the relays checked, but I don't know if that will help... I'm assuming that its the anti-theft system, but I don't have a clue as to how to reset it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
Disable the alarm when it starts blaring (hoping you know how). Then let the battery charge for some time (varies, but being dead for two months, I woudl try at least 30 minutes) before attempting to start it. Having been dead for so long, I would either go recharge it or get a new one altogether.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:44 AM

If your horn makes on and off beeps then it's the security going off. If it's just making one long beep then something is wrong.

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-05-2002, 12:46 PM

if you do get the on of beeps, then stick you key in the driver ss door lock and turn it right then left(lock, unlock) it will go off, if it is one long beep, take out horn fuse, charge battery then trouble shoot it, chech steering wheel cover, too the horn works on a continuity so it may be at a point where there is constant contact. if there is a break in that wire anywhere at all and it touches metal it will sound off untill you get it off the metal.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:39 AM
johnboy

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Matt
You can obtain the alarm reset procedures and code from a Nissan Dealer. You will need proof of ownership and the VIN number.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:47 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Matt
The same exact thing happened to me. It was my alternater. It didn't make any sense to me...but you can take your alternater to Auto Zone (here in GA open 24 hours) and they can test it and about 10 other things for you for free.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:53 AM
secoske

A big Thanks to everyone who replied to my post... My horn was blaring on/off. I tried the key in the door trick, and was able to jump start the car in a matter of minutes. I really appreciate your help!!!

Matt

Old 11-30-2017, 06:08 PM

NOTE: Look at the date when replying to a post. This issue is almost 15 years old.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
NOTE: Look at the date when replying to a post. This issue is almost 15 years old.
well lets hope they got the car started and didn't end up in the junk yard over it
Old 12-11-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by secoske
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Matt
Open the car insert the key, turn the acc on and lock the door , and then unlock the door twice I believe and you're good to go!