3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Noise from Engine cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Lil 8

Noise from Engine cooling fan

Just recently I have noticed a squeeling sound coming from the front of the engine when running the AC. After, investigating the noise I found out that one of my engine cooling fans the right one ( the one closet to the coolant resovoir is squeeking once I have the AC on no other time??? I was uncertain which of the fans was making noise but after running the car with the AC on and unplugging the power connectors to the fans and then plugging them back in one @ a time it is the right fan making noise. So, my question is had anyone had to replace thier fans, motors or the whole fan assembly? I got prices ranging from $180 for the motors each to $575 for the whole assembly. Can a lubricant be used to quite the noise down??Let me know you thoughts???
Old 07-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Noise from Engine cooling fan

Originally posted by jkmay01
Just recently I have noticed a squeeling sound coming from the front of the engine when running the AC. After, investigating the noise I found out that one of my engine cooling fans the right one ( the one closet to the coolant resovoir is squeeking once I have the AC on no other time??? I was uncertain which of the fans was making noise but after running the car with the AC on and unplugging the power connectors to the fans and then plugging them back in one @ a time it is the right fan making noise. So, my question is had anyone had to replace thier fans, motors or the whole fan assembly? I got prices ranging from $180 for the motors each to $575 for the whole assembly. Can a lubricant be used to quite the noise down??Let me know you thoughts???
time to replace the motors..you don't have too much time left before the bearings will freeze up.
no lube will help since they are sealed bearings.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Lil 8

yea thanks man... I was coming to that conclusion!!! I can get a new motor for 170 or 180. How do those prices sound?
Old 07-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Lil 8

oh could you give me some how too's?? is it a splice out the old motor from the fan? Let me know?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

oh could you give me some how too's?? is it a splice out the old motor from the fan? Let me know?
i would head up a junk yard and pick up a set of motors.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Lil 8

ok i got some more info on my prob, it seems that the fan i have mentioned has a little play in it. when i touch one of the fins the fan itself wiggles more at the center of the fan?? My first thoughts were that the fastening nuts may have loosened up due to age? but the other fan has no movement in it when i do the same test and no noise also!!! Could my prob be simply the fastening nuts of the fan to the motors drive shaft? or is it really that i need a new motor? will try to take the fan assembly out maybe today or tomorrow, i can see 3 bolts topside that connect to the radiator are there anymore at the bottom connecting to the radiator also? Oh, would you know the size of the nuts securing the fan to the motor shaft by chance thanks again!!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:20 AM
STFU n00b!

that's what happens when the bearings go bad in the motor. www.car-part.com look there for junkyards in your area.. they may have a listing in the menu for radiator or cooling fans, but not sure. anyway, find a junkyard in the area and call them and buy from them. it's not often that those fans go out (I had one max go 130k miles and this one is on 193k miles with no fan problems at all)..

but you need to get a new fan motor before it completely quits.. if the fan comes apart when it finally fails while spinning, then it's likely to send bits and pieces into your radiator and then you'll get to buy new fans AND a radiator. no fun. been there, done that (on an accord. common problem on them).

replacing is extremely easy.. just remove the few screws holding the entire assembly to the radiator, unplug the wires, then pull it out the top of the radiator. you'll have to unhook the upper radiator hose, but if you're careful (don't do this on a hot engine!) you can keep most of the coolant from running out. have a helper pull the fan shroud out while you're holding the hose up and blocking the radiator opening, then when the fans are out of the way, plug the hose back in and you'll only lose a bit of coolant.

then replace the fan(s) and do it all backwards.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Lil 8

thanks again for the support, i have called some junkyards in my area i can get the whole fan assembly for 70 to 80 so far
Old 07-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Lil 8

hey matt changed the fan assembly unit the otherday, no probs!!! I had a question though? Are both of the fans running at all times? or is only one running and the second fan comes on when the AC unit is on? Let me know?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

hey matt changed the fan assembly unit the otherday, no probs!!! I had a question though? Are both of the fans running at all times? or is only one running and the second fan comes on when the AC unit is on? Let me know?
needed a 2nd opinion on the fans enh?

anyway...one fan is for engine and the other is for AC. when your AC is on both spin.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:09 PM
JD

All the signs, lubes do no good. The blade will break off very soon. I had both fans go out on my Max. The engine one at about 140K, the A/C one just recently at about 175K. Paid the first time to have it done - ouch....didn't really have a choice, wife was driving it and needed a quick turnaround. The second one wasn't bad, friend helped me - went realllll quick and easy. In about a 12 pack we changed the fan motor and the trunk lock and readjusted the trunk mechanism so the button on the door worked again. Fan should take about an hour I believe. I went through the junkyards here, MAXS for our years were picked clean. I did find a couple at a pick it yourself place, however, the blades had spider cracking go all through them which didn't make me feel good. I travel 100 miles roundtrip in the desert, didn't want to screw around so bought new. Courtesy had the best prices by farrrrrrr.......
Old 07-21-2003, 09:57 PM
STFU n00b!

an HOUR to replace? try like 15 min, max.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
that's what happens when the bearings go bad in the motor. www.car-part.com look there for junkyards in your area.. they may have a listing in the menu for radiator or cooling fans, but not sure. anyway, find a junkyard in the area and call them and buy from them. it's not often that those fans go out (I had one max go 130k miles and this one is on 193k miles with no fan problems at all)..

but you need to get a new fan motor before it completely quits.. if the fan comes apart when it finally fails while spinning, then it's likely to send bits and pieces into your radiator and then you'll get to buy new fans AND a radiator. no fun. been there, done that (on an accord. common problem on them).

replacing is extremely easy.. just remove the few screws holding the entire assembly to the radiator, unplug the wires, then pull it out the top of the radiator. you'll have to unhook the upper radiator hose, but if you're careful (don't do this on a hot engine!) you can keep most of the coolant from running out. have a helper pull the fan shroud out while you're holding the hose up and blocking the radiator opening, then when the fans are out of the way, plug the hose back in and you'll only lose a bit of coolant.

then replace the fan(s) and do it all backwards.
say uh matt still no luck in getting my radiator cooling fan to come on yet? I have changed both the coolant temperature sensor and the relay to the radiator fan also!! No luck still wont come on? I have also bled the air from the cooling system via the bleeder valve next to the pcv valve. What else should i look for? the car doesnt overheat or anything, but I am just **** about my things!!!! Let me know. thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 08:38 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by jkmay01
yea thanks man... I was coming to that conclusion!!! I can get a new motor for 170 or 180. How do those prices sound?
$170-180 is a lot, I just checked around on google and look what I found:
http://www.fastbodyparts.com/cgi-bin...on_id=WLIsHGUi

These guys are selling OE for $60 ea x 2. I think I had some problems like these before too, I didn't know that the fan is the problem the whole time. Yeah, every time I turned on the AC and drive, a loud squealing noise starts to grind. I'll check it out later.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by bvtran
$170-180 is a lot, I just checked around on google and look what I found:
http://www.fastbodyparts.com/cgi-bin...on_id=WLIsHGUi

These guys are selling OE for $60 ea x 2. I think I had some problems like these before too, I didn't know that the fan is the problem the whole time. Yeah, every time I turned on the AC and drive, a loud squealing noise starts to grind. I'll check it out later.

well yea that is the bearings in the motor they are starting to go!! depending on how bad they are will determine how much time you will have. that high price was from courtsey nissan and that was for a brand new motor. well i changed mine out it took about 45min for me with no jacks and just ramps
Old 09-04-2003, 09:02 PM
94c Big Max

well yea that is the bearings in the motor they are starting to go!! depending on how bad they are will determine how much time you will have. that high price was from courtsey nissan and that was for a brand new motor. well i changed mine out it took about 45min for me with no jacks and just ramps

Ah man, that's going to costs me some more smackeros. I'll change them later.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Lil 8

Ah man, that's going to costs me some more smackeros. I'll change them later.
well i was saying if you are going to replace the bushings might as well go poly doesnt make sense to go rubber then a few months later go poly you paid twice as much???
Old 09-04-2003, 09:19 PM
94c Big Max

well i was saying if you are going to replace the bushings might as well go poly doesnt make sense to go rubber then a few months later go poly you paid twice as much???
Where can I get these poly-urethan? Any sites or stores that you could recommend me?
Old 09-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Lil 8

Where can I get these poly-urethan? Any sites or stores that you could recommend me?
try pcwhitney.com, suspension techniques, addico, try doing a subject search in the forum search engine, also check the participating max.org vendors.