3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

probs with engine cooling fan???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Lil 8

probs with engine cooling fan???

I am having a problem with my cooling fan assembly with my 89 max. I had to change my assembly because one of my motors was going bad, I have swapped it out for another one. Now with the new one I have noticed that the only fan that comes on is the left fan, the one closest to the a/c compressor!!?? I have tried switching the cables but no luck, the right fan still wont come on!! I was thinking since I had to remove my upper rad hose, would I need to open the bleeder valve to get any air out of the system? Or maybe change the coolant temperature sensor? Could this be giving a false reading or maybe no reading to the fan's temp sensor to turn on? Before buying the new fan assembly I had the guy test the fans both worked fine no problems. The car doesn't run hot, and the temperature gauge inside the car is at normal also. Not to sure what the problem is? Also, when I engage the parking brake the red park brake L.E.D. on the dash doesn't illuminate? It use to work, but just stopped yesterday. Let me know?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:02 AM

Re: probs with engine cooling fan???

i Am having this same problem. My fans never come on! even the other day when my upper rad hose cracked and lost coolent and overheated the fans didnt turn on!! only the ac fan comes on when the ac is on!?!? help
Old 08-06-2003, 04:34 AM
Lil 8

well, I have ran some test and have come to some conclusions. 1 is that the engine fan relay in my case has gone bad, 2 my coolant temp sensor is bad, 3 i have some air in the coolant system possible giving a false reading!!! Well, I have bled the system no luck, I have tried swapping relays but there are only 1 other relay that is the same color and size. Oh, I think the relays in question in my case are labeled rad fan 2 ,and rad fan 3. If you look on the relay cover the one in front of your battery you will see them. Now I did another test by connecting direct current from the battery to both fans the A/C cooling fan came on both high and low fans, however when I did it with the engine cooling fan only the low came on not the high!!! ????? Strange!!! I have also, trtied switching the cables both cables work on the A/C cooling fan but neither works on the engine cooling fan!!!! So, that kinda leans away from the relay thoughs?? Today I am going to use a line tester to see if current is coming from the power sided of the cooling fan cables!!!! Frustrations!!!! Let me know what you have come up with? What year is your max?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Lil 8

ok Ocmax here is the rememdy for the prob!! Let me know if it helps:
after running my most recent test it looks like the relay is bad, I used a line tester to check the relay terminals and i was getting power on both the A/C fan both and the engine fan. I also found out that there are 3 relays for the two fans if you look on the cover to the relay box it will list a relay for " RAD fan 3, Rad fan 2, and Rad fan 3" Well, Rad fan 3 is the highspeed relay for the A/C fan and it's color is blue, Rad fan 2 is the relay for the engine's fan and it's color is brown, Rad fan 1 is for the A/C fans low speed and it's color is blue!!! So I have already ordered the relay and temp sensor from courtsey so, thanks again will let you know if that solves the puzzle for sure though!! Thanks!!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:16 AM

i have the same problem and my temp switch always says cold and i over heated the other day man so much thing to do
Old 08-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Lil 8

ok when the car is running do you get a temp reading? if not it is two things bad thermostat or a bad coolant temperature sensor or the little wire that connects to the back of the temperature sensor is either corroded or the connection has been broken. I know that I broke my connection trying to replace my coolant temp sensor one time!! Not to worry just pull the connector to the temp sensor out and open the small fastener with a pair of needle nose pliers restrip the wire if need be most likely it will be a little corroded. fasten back togethter and plug back into the coolant sensor turn the car back on and u should get a immediate reading depending on how long u let the car run? Have u checked the relays like i mentioned up above? Do the test i did by running direct current from the battery to the fans power terminals.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:11 PM

I had a problem with mine not comming on in a traffic jam during a blizzard and called my brother and had him post the question here. If you pull the harness off the coolant temp sensor near where the thermostat is on the VG they should come on in default mode. If so then your sensor is bad. Only like $20 bucks and I changed mine on that trip in an autozone parking lot in 3 minutes. If only one comes on sounds like a relay problem or a short somewhere. Good luck. Oh and it does take a while for them to kick on, drive it around for a while and then let it idle for 5 or so minutes, you should hear them kick on.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:30 AM
Lil 8

Originally posted by 89sks
I had a problem with mine not comming on in a traffic jam during a blizzard and called my brother and had him post the question here. If you pull the harness off the coolant temp sensor near where the thermostat is on the VG they should come on in default mode. If so then your sensor is bad. Only like $20 bucks and I changed mine on that trip in an autozone parking lot in 3 minutes. If only one comes on sounds like a relay problem or a short somewhere. Good luck. Oh and it does take a while for them to kick on, drive it around for a while and then let it idle for 5 or so minutes, you should hear them kick on.
ok I changed both my coolant temp sensor and my engine fan relay, will see if the engine fan comes on? the A/C fan comes on even if i dont have the A/C running that is after a while, but comes on immediately if I run the A/C which is fine, but got to check on the engine cooling fan. will try your steps!! Thanks, will keep you posted
Old 08-13-2003, 06:56 AM

interesting thread guys, looking at the fans from the front of the car, which one is the ac cooling fan? The left or the right? I have been looking at my fans for a while and I could not figure out why my right fan always ran slower than the left. Maybe this is why my AC sucks when I am stopped or in slow traffic.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Lil 8

well when looking into the engine bay from the front the left fan or the one closest to the A/C compressor is the A/C fan and the other is the engine fan. Well as you know both fans have a high and low speed, the A/C may run at a higher speed when the A/C is on also it may deepend on the speed that you are driving @? As for the A/C at stoplights the A/C will generally blow colder when the car is in motion and the compressor is being ran @ a higher speed also if the car has not been sitting out in the sun also! Strange but i have noticed these small things over time.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Lil 8

man.. i have changed both the relay for the engine fan and the coolant temperature sensor seemingly still no luck!! Even after driving for a while and then letting the car idle for 5 to 10 minutes i only get the A/C fan coming on at intervals not the engine fan??? Not to sure what else i can do??? help!!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:04 PM

I believe both my fans come on together regardless of whether its due to the AC being on or if its off and the temp is high enough. Are you sure they are supposed to work seperately? If you have the car running and disconnect the coolant temp sensore the one on the left side of the thermostat housing both fans should come on, at least thats what mine does. Good luck, wish I could be of more help.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Lil 8

Originally posted by 89sks
I believe both my fans come on together regardless of whether its due to the AC being on or if its off and the temp is high enough. Are you sure they are supposed to work seperately? If you have the car running and disconnect the coolant temp sensore the one on the left side of the thermostat housing both fans should come on, at least thats what mine does. Good luck, wish I could be of more help.
well yes you are right both fans come on when the temperature reaches a certain point. However, only one of my fans comes on when I dont have the A/C on and that is the A/C cooling fan. So i have replaced the power relay to the engine cooling fan along with the temp sensor, and I am having the same results only the A/C fan comes on. Still thinking on what it could be? The only time I got the engine fan to come on was when I did the test above by bypassing the relay and using a line tester. Let me know if you have some more insight
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 AM

I really dont have any further insight as I've not had to tackle this problem myself. It does seem though since you have replaced all the relays etc and sensors, that it could be a short somewhere or a fuse, or something not plugged it. You know the fan motors work the relays are good and the sensors are new so it should be in the wiring. It could be an air pocket in the cooling system. I had a tech tell me they will nestle right were the coolant temp sensor plugs into the housing where one of the coolant hoses clamps. Like I said, its kind of weird, on mine both fans get and respond to the signal to operate together, so if one is working and the other is not and its not the fan motor? Maybe the relay is in wrong, or there is a short in the wiring between the relay and the fan. You could check by unplugging the coolant temp, which should activate the fans, and see if the relay in question is getting a signal, if not there is a short between the sensor and relay if it is then check the lines coming out of the rely and at the fan itself.

Just babling on here and trouble shooting in my mind. Maybe something will help out. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Lil 8

hmmm?? yea could be I will try unplugging the cable to the CTS and see if both of the fans turns on??
Old 09-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by jkmay01
hmmm?? yea could be I will try unplugging the cable to the CTS and see if both of the fans turns on??
finally !!!! I have fixed the fan problem!!! The radiator fan's motor was bad well at least one the speeds was the low speed. So after swapping out the bad fan with the old assembly i had, everything is back to normal!!! happy camper
Old 09-14-2003, 07:28 PM

Glad to hear it all worked out!