3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

94 maxima se bose radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

94 maxima se bose radio problems

i just bought a 94 se with 116k. It runs good, the antenna was broken and I replace the cable. The old owner said radio didnt work right. when i put the antenna cable in, it worked for a while then stopped. I resitted the antanna cable, but no radio .. it powers up but no sound even when i put a cassett in...... can anyone help or has anyone had this problem
Old 09-27-2003, 07:40 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

check the fuse for the bose amps.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the response, where can i find the fuse for the bose amps
Old 09-27-2003, 07:47 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

under the dash pull the fuse block cover off. on the back of the fuse box cover there are labels for the fuses. on should be labeled BOSE. check it. at least i have one on my 93 SE w/ bose.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

checked fuse its ok, the radio lites up when i turn it on the antenna raises, but i get no sound for radio or cassette
Old 09-27-2003, 09:20 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

humm well the only thing i can think of is the amps are not working. get a voltage tester and see if the amps have power. the head unit may also be an issue if its not turning the amps on ! but check the power at the amps also. the rear ones are the easiest to get to. open your trunk and look under the rear deck by the speakers. it looks like a black box.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Common Bose problem. Here's a work around fix.

Bose Workaround:
The problem is inside the power head, where it will only intermittantly supply power to a relay that turns on the Bose speaker amps. You can verify this by checking for 12V at the head connector green wire with white stripe. With the radio on if the voltage there is zero, the Bose amps are not powered. The work around is to put a jumper wire from the yellow wire with white stripe (accessory power) to the green wire with white stripe (relay power). This will power the bose amps whenever the ignition is on. The problem in the head unit will probably cost close to $100 to repair.

I have not done this workaround in a Maxima but expect it should work. It worked on with a bad '93 Maxima Bose head installed in a '90 300ZX.
I verified wire color codes in a '93 Maxima Service Manual page EL-107. If you try this fix, please post results.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:23 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

guess i was kinda right then
Old 09-27-2003, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gowirelessnj
guess i was kinda right then
Looks like we're both on the same track. Must be the correct analysis.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for your tip, will check it out today and let the forum know

Originally Posted by Buzz(NJ)
Bose Workaround:
The problem is inside the power head, where it will only intermittantly supply power to a relay that turns on the Bose speaker amps. You can verify this by checking for 12V at the head connector green wire with white stripe. With the radio on if the voltage there is zero, the Bose amps are not powered. The work around is to put a jumper wire from the yellow wire with white stripe (accessory power) to the green wire with white stripe (relay power). This will power the bose amps whenever the ignition is on. The problem in the head unit will probably cost close to $100 to repair.

I have not done this workaround in a Maxima but expect it should work. It worked on with a bad '93 Maxima Bose head installed in a '90 300ZX.
I verified wire color codes in a '93 Maxima Service Manual page EL-107. If you try this fix, please post results.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Way out West

I would recommend you start saving money and scrap the bose system before you pump too much money into trying to save it.

It seems like once the amps/speakers and HU start to fail, they just continue to cause problems.

I put in an aftermarket HU with an adapter for the bose amps/speakers. It worked great for a couple of years but one by one they all went fffpppttt. I am in the process of replacing it all.

The bose was pretty good for stock back in the early 90s, but for a few hundred dollars you can do considerably better with aftermarket stuff. Besides, you can upgrade to CD/MP3 and toss those cassettes.

just my $.02
Old 09-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the insight, just question, i have an alpine HU, Brand new from another car, picked up the maxima harness and adapter followed the instructions, but still no sound coming from speakers, HU functions fully,, is there a relay that i can test to see if the power is going from the HU to the speakers... is the relay separate from the HU or is it an integrated part.
I am beginning to get frustrated..

Originally Posted by gowirelessnj
humm well the only thing i can think of is the amps are not working. get a voltage tester and see if the amps have power. the head unit may also be an issue if its not turning the amps on ! but check the power at the amps also. the rear ones are the easiest to get to. open your trunk and look under the rear deck by the speakers. it looks like a black box.