3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

removing upper dash piece?....(DaBoxGTI)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 10:55 PM

a while back someone posted instructions on how to remove the upper dash piece. ive been trying to find it, but this was not the topic of that post thread that the instructions were given in. anyways i printed out those instructions and now i lost them before i got to do it. does anybody remember these instructions? i thinkk it was DaBoxGTI that posted it.
Old 02-14-2001, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by thebull
a while back someone posted instructions on how to remove the upper dash piece. ive been trying to find it, but this was not the topic of that post thread that the instructions were given in. anyways i printed out those instructions and now i lost them before i got to do it. does anybody remember these instructions? i thinkk it was DaBoxGTI that posted it.
there are four screws on the bottom of the dash, and four on the top. you have to remove ALL the screws, check for hidden ones. take out the panel that hs the defroster, fog light switch, cruse control, etc. you also need to take out your panel that goes over the cd player, heater, etc. once that is out, you have even mroe screws to take out. just keepat it. ill try to find the instructions somewhere.
Old 02-15-2001, 03:59 PM

Found the post for ya!

To get the top dash panel off, you need to remove the entire dash trim. Do these steps:

1) remove the panel around the shifter. (this just pops up when you pull it from the bottom.

2) remove the trim around your radio/climate control. You need to remove the two screws on the bottom under your ash tray and cig lighter. The top of this panel just pops out when you pull. (Be sure to pull everything evenly.) This piece wont come completely off until you disconnect your hazard switch and cig lighter.

3) remove the panel with your dimmer/cruise/mirror controls by removing the four screws underneath it.

After you have removed these, you will find a number of screws along the bottom of the top panel. remove these (4 or 6 i think...) then remove the 4 screws that you saw facing upward. Now, you will need to disconnect your clock. If you want to take it out, it is held in with 3 screws. You first also need to be careful when taking the top panel out of the dash. Make sure your steering wheel is completely down because you will need to bend the bottom of the panel slightly to take it out (be careful).

For those of you that are replacing the bulbs in the guages, there are 4 more screws holding the instrument cluster in place. I didnt disconnect anything when I replaced the bulbs because it was easy to work with.

You folks may want to keep a damp rag or a dirt devil nearby to clean out all the dust you are going to find in there! Good luck.

BTW: For the people who say "I've been running higher wattage bulbs for X months with no problems", Just wait. It took about 5 months for me to notice a problem (I didnt know there was an upgrade available). And when it begins to happen, **** will get fried quickly. Dont put all your eggs in one basket!

Take care.
Clark

Old 02-15-2001, 04:06 PM

Re: Found the post for ya!

you da man!! thanks. i looked forever for that. when i start taking the dash apart without instructions i usaully try to force peices off and bust the hell out of it.

Originally posted by DaBoxGTI

To get the top dash panel off, you need to remove the entire dash trim. Do these steps:

1) remove the panel around the shifter. (this just pops up when you pull it from the bottom.

2) remove the trim around your radio/climate control. You need to remove the two screws on the bottom under your ash tray and cig lighter. The top of this panel just pops out when you pull. (Be sure to pull everything evenly.) This piece wont come completely off until you disconnect your hazard switch and cig lighter.

3) remove the panel with your dimmer/cruise/mirror controls by removing the four screws underneath it.

After you have removed these, you will find a number of screws along the bottom of the top panel. remove these (4 or 6 i think...) then remove the 4 screws that you saw facing upward. Now, you will need to disconnect your clock. If you want to take it out, it is held in with 3 screws. You first also need to be careful when taking the top panel out of the dash. Make sure your steering wheel is completely down because you will need to bend the bottom of the panel slightly to take it out (be careful).

For those of you that are replacing the bulbs in the guages, there are 4 more screws holding the instrument cluster in place. I didnt disconnect anything when I replaced the bulbs because it was easy to work with.

You folks may want to keep a damp rag or a dirt devil nearby to clean out all the dust you are going to find in there! Good luck.

BTW: For the people who say "I've been running higher wattage bulbs for X months with no problems", Just wait. It took about 5 months for me to notice a problem (I didnt know there was an upgrade available). And when it begins to happen, **** will get fried quickly. Dont put all your eggs in one basket!

Take care.
Clark

Old 02-16-2001, 04:31 AM

Anytime...

As soon as i get working on a homepage, i'll be sure to add them there too. Peace.