3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I fixed my clock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I fixed my clock!

Just felt like sharing. I'm glad because it didnt cost me anything

I actually have 2 clocks, I fixed them both. One of them I resoldered every connection and it worked, then the second time around I resoldered everything but the Display and Chip and it worked. I believe you really only have to resolder the capacitors, but I decided to do everything to prevent it in the future.

I'm really glad that it worked because I really didnt want to take a trip into Radio Shack. I just need to install it now, I'll do that when I go to fix my climate controls (stops about 2/3's of the way over to 'hot').

Next up fix the gas tank leak I'm having. Then I can start turning corners more agressively and my cell phone wont fall out of the cup holder, because I wont need it there because my clock works

Oh yeah, one thing I was bummed about... It appeared that there was a light bulb or something sticking out from the side of the clocks screen. I was hopeing that it was responsible for the color of the numbers, but it doesnt appear to be. Infact I think it's just part of the screen when it was made. I believe it is a VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display) so it's probably there from the manufacturing process and is just a coincidence that it looks like part of a light bulb. For now the whole blue or white display idea is being put on the back burner until I can learn more about it.

-Shawn
Old 11-07-2003, 03:41 PM

I fixed my clock today too...i found a tutorial about how to do it...that i really needed my clock...but i hate having something not work ya know...i took it over to a friends and he soldered it and i love it now...thanks maxima.org!
Old 11-07-2003, 04:23 PM
STFU n00b!

It's usually just the huge 2W resistor that gets the bad solder joints, but I usually redo all the ones except the display module when repairing them. works well.
I also replace the caps on them if they show any signs of age.

and yes, the display is a VFD. that "light bulb" sticking out of the side is where they pull the vacuum on it. it's attached though the glass tube to vacuum equipment. they pull a vacuum on it, then heat the glass right there and seal the display shut.

there is NO way to change the color on that guy at all. only way is to replace the whole thing, and I doubt you're going to find a plug & play one.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:37 PM

My clock kept time but wouldnt light up... I found that the connection where the harness comes into the back of the clock, the tiny screw that held the circuit board onto the plactic case was not catching the case so the whole circuit board would fall foreward, when put back upright, and then have a poor connection with the harness. I fixed this by putting a bigger screw into the hole, it made new threads for its self and held pretty well. The bigger screw stuck out the back of the black case but the space it stuck out into was in an unused portion of the harness... that was my quick fix it doesnt always work.. on my friends clock we cut out the part of the case that the harness connected to, glued the circuit board onto the case(since we lost our anchor hole) and hooked the wire harness directly to the board... The second fix was not the best idea but it worked for him.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:37 PM

you can try and change the color like the 4th gens did , via color sheets of plastic.. do a search on the 4thgen forum, its been done
Old 11-07-2003, 07:14 PM

unfortunatley...looks like i spoke too soon, the clock went out again...im gonna have to rip apart the dash, but now i can detail clean! and i might have to go get those capacitators, anyone know what those cost?
Old 11-07-2003, 08:42 PM

Sweet, maybe thats what i need to do with mine, thanx for the info.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:44 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Ninty-two-se
My clock kept time but wouldnt light up... I found that the connection where the harness comes into the back of the clock, the tiny screw that held the circuit board onto the plactic case was not catching the case so the whole circuit board would fall foreward, when put back upright, and then have a poor connection with the harness. I fixed this by putting a bigger screw into the hole, it made new threads for its self and held pretty well. The bigger screw stuck out the back of the black case but the space it stuck out into was in an unused portion of the harness... that was my quick fix it doesnt always work.. on my friends clock we cut out the part of the case that the harness connected to, glued the circuit board onto the case(since we lost our anchor hole) and hooked the wire harness directly to the board... The second fix was not the best idea but it worked for him.
You got lucky in your case. it's an electrical problem, not a mechanical. most likely, you bumped the component with the bad solder joint and cause it to make contact again for a while. the "fix" won't be permanent though.

the problem with the display not working is due to the high voltage power supply for the VFD. that's where the large resistor comes into play (somehow)... but that display runs off 42 or 48VDC. there's a tiny switching power supply on the board that makes the voltage from the 12VDC incoming voltage. when the power supply dies, the display goes off... but the brains of the circuit are still working.
think of it as akin to unplugging your computer monitor while the box is running. you still push the buttons and it works (and keeps time), but the display isn't there.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:03 PM

i still gotta fix my clock. it'll be dim sometimes and a little tap will make it glow in normal brightness.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

great explaination Matt

Izzy- Thanks for the info! is that how Araffio did it? I couldn't figure it out. I was thinking about that a few weeks ago, with the film. I was talking with LittlePiggie about it when he was getting all excited about making a HUD. If you've ever taken apart a calculator or palm pilot or something, most of them have these little plastic sheets. When you flip them over it inverts the display. I wasnt sure if it would work with our clocks or not at the time, but now I dont think the whole inverting thing would work anyway. My main goal is just to use white, blue and red LED's for my dash and other things (window switches, map lights, etc).
Old 11-07-2003, 11:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
i still gotta fix my clock. it'll be dim sometimes and a little tap will make it glow in normal brightness.
Yeap, i have to fix mine again too. I fixed it once already, but 2 weeks after that, it dimmed again. P1ssed me off. But I only resoldered 1 joint that had a crack in it. Hehe... this time around, I will solder them all, especially paying attention to the big capacitors.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:13 PM

i only managed to replace one of the capacitors for my clock, rs was out of the other two, and now its gone out, i think ill have to re-solder and cut out the back of the holder coz my capacitor is too big to sit in the front, and too big to be in the back.

in the faq's craig brices and matts faq's show what you need.

I posted a thread about my ATC face and no-one replied, its starting to do the same thing as the clock did i was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem and if it is just another case of replacing some components
Old 11-08-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan

this is my second maxima. in the first, it was the digital temperature reading display that dimmed then i needed to bang the dash for it to become bright again. now, its the clock cuz i dont have the digital temp control in this car.

whats up with nissan's electronic displays?

anyway, my clock does it. i want to fix it. can someone give me a link or a tutorial or tell me how to fix this?will i have to buy anything?
Old 11-08-2003, 06:55 PM

www.4dsc.com go there and go to articles>interior>fix clock, use the ones with pictures, should tell you everything you need to know
Old 11-08-2003, 07:03 PM
mod or sell?

Hey isn't someone here selling already fixed clocks on an exchange basis?

No it's not me
(at least I don't think it is)
Old 11-08-2003, 09:02 PM
STFU n00b!

That would be me...
Old 11-08-2003, 09:34 PM

is it supose to dim alittle when i put my lights on?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Seperated at Birth?

is there a tutorial on the different colored dash lighting? green would be fun.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:40 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by xdannyx25
is it supose to dim alittle when i put my lights on?
Yes, it's controled by the same dimmer switch as your dash lights