3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG Engine missing, and hesitating Proposed Solutions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 11:33 AM

VG Engine missing, and hesitating Proposed Solutions.

Ok, this topic will include the following:
-Vehicle that I worked with
-Detailed description of problem
-Tried solutions
-Further Suggestions

-1990 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed, with the VG30ET engine with 242,000 Miles.

-Intermittently, my engine would lose a significant amount of power and felt like it was “missing”. What I mean is, I would try and accelerate through a gear, and the engine would sound like it was not firing on all cylinders. The car would shake violently, as the engine tried to move the car. The engine never actually stopped running. My fuel economy was very pathetic during these intermittent episodes. I could go months without seeing the problem again, but recently the problem got to a point to where it was happening every time I drove the car.

-I tried a few solutions including:

MAF (COST $200): On the suggestion of other members of this forum, I purchased a new MAF to try and alleviate the problem. The problem persisted after this. I immediately returned the MAF for a refund of my $200. If you try this same thing, make sure and keep your receipt!
Spark Plug Wires (COST $40): This was on the suggestion of local car guys. I figured even if this didn’t solve the problem, it was a good idea with 242,000 miles on the old spark plug wires. This did not solve the problem, but lead me to the next solution.
Bad Electrical connection boots (COST $2 electrical tape): After installing my new spark plug wires, I noticed that the fuel injector wire boots were torn. I turned the car on, and started to fiddle with these wires. The engine would start to sound like it was missing on that cylinder. I took some electrical tape, and wrapped these broken boots thinking that moisture might get into these and cause problems. I then noticed the TPS wiring connection boot was torn as well. After taping these boots back up, I went for a ride. The car didn’t hesitate once.

- I realize that this problem is intermittent, and that this could just be a time of no problem until it rears its ugly head again. However, I think I’m onto something with this wiring. Really makes me want to drop about $1000 on a Haltech E6K, and redo all the wiring, but for now I think this might be a temporary solution.
I believe that the VE engine Maximas may have a different problem then the VG engine cars. It’s important to remember, that my engine never died. I feel that the owners of cars that have stalling problems may have a problem with their O2 sensor, as the same thing happened to my old 240SX.

I hope this has helped somebody here, as everyone on here as been very helpful to me. If my problem returns, I will try and reply to this with further information.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:00 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

if the tps sensor was touched and all the sudden it started working again it may be 1) the tps wiring itself (connections) or 2) the tps is on its way out.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:40 PM

still running great!
Old 03-05-2004, 04:59 PM

talk about bumping an old thread huh?
Well, the problem has started again! Im about to go outside and check the TPS connection...it seems that when the problem starts, i can fiddle with this connection for abit, and it cures itself for a few miles. Ill post back in a few hours with my findings.
Tyler
Old 03-05-2004, 06:03 PM

welp, its not the TPS connector, or the MAF connector, those both checked out fine. The problem is at its worst now, i was almost stuck in an intersection because the car did not want to move. Shoot, any ideas?
Tyler
Old 03-05-2004, 06:16 PM

How about the vacuum system? I think that is what is wrong with mine
Old 03-05-2004, 07:23 PM

My problem is fairly intermitant though. If it was a vacuum leak, wouldent it be this way all the time?
Tyler
Old 03-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

change the o2 sensor. My car ran fine until it warmed up. Then it ran like crap!! It was because the o2 sensor was done and when it got warmed up from the car heat it made the engine backfire. Changed it myself and it's been fine ever since
Old 03-06-2004, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by KRMaxima21
change the o2 sensor. My car ran fine until it warmed up. Then it ran like crap!! It was because the o2 sensor was done and when it got warmed up from the car heat it made the engine backfire. Changed it myself and it's been fine ever since
Thanks for the suggestion. Ill try that. My only problem with that, is that mine wil do it even whem its not warmed up. Plus i can fiddle with the fuel injector harness and the problem goes away for abit. Isnt there some recall with the injectors?
Tyler
Old 03-06-2004, 06:35 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by Goodbar6
Thanks for the suggestion. Ill try that. My only problem with that, is that mine wil do it even whem its not warmed up. Plus i can fiddle with the fuel injector harness and the problem goes away for abit. Isnt there some recall with the injectors?
Tyler

If your engine is really the VG30ET as you stated, yes there was an injector recall. Otherwise, no.