3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How dealer does an air-bound coolant flush?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:18 AM

How dealer does an air-bound coolant flush?

I heard there is a TSB out for our heater cores getting air trapped in there and the dealer is supposed to do an air bound flush on the coolant system to get the air out.

Does anybody know how they do it? is there a machine for it or they just raise the front end of the car and try to bleed it out.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:33 AM

I think I read that there is a procedure where you jack up the front end, maybe that was in the archives here somewhere. Otherwise I heard that there is a new coolant exchange device lots of shops are using. You take off the radiator cap and screw in a cap with a hose. Maybe another hose goes somewhere else? Then they pump out the old, put in new, and also bleed out air at the same time.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:40 PM

thanks....
Old 12-12-2003, 02:32 PM

I thought all modern engines kind of "bled" the air out themselves ... as long as the top of the radiator was below the highest point of coolant flow of the motor. I know there's an air bleeder bolt on the top of the VG's that you can open up to fully bleed the system ... I don't know what this would have to do with the heater core though.

I think the thing where they hook a hose up to the radiator cap is just to do a power-flush and clean out the radiator... I don't think it affects other components (water pump, heater core, etc.)
Old 12-12-2003, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by HoleyMax
I thought all modern engines kind of "bled" the air out themselves ... as long as the top of the radiator was below the highest point of coolant flow of the motor. I know there's an air bleeder bolt on the top of the VG's that you can open up to fully bleed the system ... I don't know what this would have to do with the heater core though.

I think the thing where they hook a hose up to the radiator cap is just to do a power-flush and clean out the radiator... I don't think it affects other components (water pump, heater core, etc.)

"I thought all modern engines kind of "bled" the air out themselves ... as long as the top of the radiator was "ABOVE" the highest point of coolant flow of the motor"

Old 12-12-2003, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by drstillpatient
"I thought all modern engines kind of "bled" the air out themselves ... as long as the top of the radiator was "ABOVE" the highest point of coolant flow of the motor"

Naw, I really did mean to say that the top of thte radiator had to be lower... there are no bleed points on the radiator itself... so air could get trapped in if it were mounted too high. Unless of course, that there is a bleed screw in the radiator.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:22 PM

Naw, I really did mean to say that the top of thte radiator had to be lower... there are no bleed points on the radiator itself... so air could get trapped in if it were mounted too high. Unless of course, that there is a bleed screw in the radiator.

In theory yeah that works cuz the bleeder screw is on the rear of the intake manifold...but from the Nissan TSB, it says the front end should be higher than the rear...to use the radiator filler neck as a bleeder hole.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:18 AM
STFU n00b!

there is... it looks like this:
Old 12-13-2003, 05:40 PM
mod or sell?

Dam Matt I was gonna say that
Old 12-14-2003, 12:18 AM

azmalu

im needing to simple flush this weekend and ive done it before. i only own the manual for 85-92 and it mentions that on vg there is 2 drain plugs for coolant....is that true because that might be why i am having to do this again after only 3 months?
Old 12-14-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by azmalu
im needing to simple flush this weekend and ive done it before. i only own the manual for 85-92 and it mentions that on vg there is 2 drain plugs for coolant....is that true because that might be why i am having to do this again after only 3 months?

There are 2 drain plugs for coolant on the engine block and one plug at the bottom of the radiator.

What exactly happened to your coolant?
Old 12-14-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by drstillpatient
There are 2 drain plugs for coolant on the engine block and one plug at the bottom of the radiator.

What exactly happened to your coolant?
well ive owned the car for a yr and 3 months ago was first time doing it when i saw that there was so much buildup in reserve tank. i think i didnt completely drain i only loosened one plug. now again my reserve tank is full of brown colored coolant and a lot of buildup. i think a mistake ive made is not using distilled water because out here in azrizona the water has a lot of chlorine. at least now i know there is 2 more plugs to find...ill keep looking till i find em then