3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Where, oh where, is my alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 04:22 PM

Where, oh where, is my alarm?

The alarm on my 1990 GXE alarm goes off if the trunk is opened with the key while the doors are locked. I checked the wiring on the trunk and found a sensor on the keyhole which should tell the alarm system the key has been used and it should disarm. But this isn't happening.

The key sensor seems to work, so I suspected the wires from the control unt to the sensor. I found the "Digital Touch Entry control unit", and used the continuity test on my multimeter to test the wires on both the trunk key sensor and the "trunk open" sensor, but I couldn't find the wires.

I checked my Haynes manual, and found a diagram showing a Theft Warning Control unit on US models only (mine is Canadian) just behind and to the left of the steering wheel. So I found the thing (which in Canada is the daytime light control), unhooked it, and tested the alarm, which was still operational. I was hoping maybe the book was wrong

Anyway, this is such a minor problem, and I can't seem to get it. Anyway know where the alarm control unit is on a Canadian 1990 GXE?

-Rich
Old 12-22-2003, 04:35 PM

My alarm goes off too, when the trunk is open with the key and the doors are locked. I thought this was suppose to happen. My old Mitsubishi Eclipse GST did the same thing.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:43 PM

i did a pager system in my max and under the dash is a trigger wire for the trunk. in other words if you can disconnect the trigger wire in the trunk which will make it so the trunk light will not come on then you will be alright. in some cars there is a mercury switch on the trunk lid. disconnect that, it will work as well but usually easier.

lucky me, my remote starter and alarm disarms the factory alarm so i dont have to worry about this.

good luck
Old 12-22-2003, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
My alarm goes off too, when the trunk is open with the key and the doors are locked. I thought this was suppose to happen. My old Mitsubishi Eclipse GST did the same thing.
Ok, I would feel pretty silly if this was the normal behavior of the system. But I figured that since there is a sensor on the keyhole on the trunk, there seems only one logical reason for it to be there: to disarm the alarm, just like the alarm gets disarmed by the door keyholes.

Anyway, is there anyone out there with the factor alarm who can open the trunk (using the key) while the alarm is armed _without_ the alarm going off?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:23 AM
mod or sell?

you can open your trunk with a key :jawdrop: !!!
Boy are you lucky
Old 12-23-2003, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should be able to open your trunk with the key and the alarm wont go off

I dont have my service manual with me right now, but I think the canadian alarm unit is located above the glove box or somewhere in that area. It'll say Nissan security assy on it or something like that. I'll check my manual later today to confirm the location
Old 12-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rhecker
Anyway, is there anyone out there with the factor alarm who can open the trunk (using the key) while the alarm is armed _without_ the alarm going off?
I can... However I can't open my driver's door w/the key w/the alarm on, I have to use the keypad...
Old 12-23-2003, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
you should be able to open your trunk with the key and the alarm wont go off

I dont have my service manual with me right now, but I think the canadian alarm unit is located above the glove box or somewhere in that area. It'll say Nissan security assy on it or something like that. I'll check my manual later today to confirm the location
That'd be quite helpful. As I mentioned, I found the Digital Touch Entry controller, which is to the right of the glove box, but I couldn't find the right wire, so it seems to me there must be more for me to find.

Just out of curiosity, I'm using the Haynes Maxima '85-'92 (72020) repair manual. Is there something better out there? Perhaps something that just covers 3rd gens?

-Rich
Old 12-23-2003, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by rhecker
That'd be quite helpful. As I mentioned, I found the Digital Touch Entry controller, which is to the right of the glove box, but I couldn't find the right wire, so it seems to me there must be more for me to find.

Just out of curiosity, I'm using the Haynes Maxima '85-'92 (72020) repair manual. Is there something better out there? Perhaps something that just covers 3rd gens?

-Rich
YOu can still purchase a genuine service manual from nissan. The number to calll is in the back of the owners manuall.

NOw for your issue, There may be a broken wire on the trunk lid harness. Concentrate your search were the harness leaves the trunk lid arm and goes behind trunk side cover.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:48 PM

I have the special vallet key, but if the alarm goes off I can't start the car with my key or turn it off
Old 12-29-2003, 09:36 AM

you can dissconnect it under the steering column. I had the same problem when i opened the drivers door. I had my car broken into twice and the alarm never went off then, so i figured what's the point.