3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

she may be dying

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:50 PM

she may be dying

I think that she may be on her way out! My 93 Max has had a bad case of the tick. this has gone on for a while now. The other day she took a turn for the worst. The tick is now a rattle. it sounds now like someone threw a hand full of change in the rear valve cover or intake plenum. The VTC have been bypassed, Yellow wire grounded. The old noise is gone, new noise louder than old. If you have seen or heard this I want to hear from you. If you guys really love these cars this is your chance to save one. I have been told the Engine is far too EXPENSIVE to repair. $400 ea for VTC. $1800 - $2000 to repair VTC rattle right. $500 for timing components. This car is in excellent shape. with the exception of this! I hate to have to part it out! As we read though the vultures are gathering..............................Help Please!............................
Old 01-30-2004, 03:12 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by bansheenomore
I think that she may be on her way out! My 93 Max has had a bad case of the tick. this has gone on for a while now. The other day she took a turn for the worst. The tick is now a rattle. it sounds now like someone threw a hand full of change in the rear valve cover or intake plenum. The VTC have been bypassed, Yellow wire grounded. The old noise is gone, new noise louder than old. If you have seen or heard this I want to hear from you. If you guys really love these cars this is your chance to save one. I have been told the Engine is far too EXPENSIVE to repair. $400 ea for VTC. $1800 - $2000 to repair VTC rattle right. $500 for timing components. This car is in excellent shape. with the exception of this! I hate to have to part it out! As we read though the vultures are gathering..............................Help Please!............................
Interesting reading, especially the vulture part
Anyway, I've read that some grounded VTC's will and might start ticking even after grounding. It may take awhile before it's start ticking again, but it can happen. How many miles does she have? Good luck with your decision

MIKE
Old 01-30-2004, 07:42 AM
mod or sell?

IIRC the rattling is the springs are too fatigued to hold things correctly
Old 01-30-2004, 07:42 AM

The second engine is at 75-80K. The car is at 180,000+. The amazing part is that the interior is like new literally. The first owner was a single woman who had it detailed every 3 months like oil changes. I did the detailing.....Even got ScotchGard 2 times a year.....
Old 01-30-2004, 07:45 AM

What springs would that be? Why all of a sudden? It also sounds almost like a ding of a bell.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Getting back to his roots

What springs would that be? Why all of a sudden? It also sounds almost like a ding of a bell.
Maybe the timing chain is old and is slapping against stuff??
Old 01-30-2004, 08:10 AM
mod or sell?

sonething to do withthe shifting of the timing on the cams. I THINK
Old 01-30-2004, 09:10 AM
1994 se lover

does the sound happen when you accelerate from low RPM's, and anytime you 'punch' the throttle while driving.???
cuz thats what mine does, and im starting to think its the timing chain or VTC's.. i personally would rather it be the VTC's ... dont yah agree !!

Old 01-30-2004, 11:12 AM

lol.....chain slapping against cover? tensioner? damn i feel bad for you and i'm scared for myself as well. I have even started looking for a spare motor *just in case* I'm going to have a garage in a couple of weeks so I'll have the space to store one/work on one, etc
Old 01-30-2004, 07:08 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

heres a few things to check first it definitly sounds like you need rebuilt vtc's i have some vtc's here but they will have to be rebuilt - nissan sells the kit for like35 bucks each you need 2. Nissan rebuilt my vtcs' for about 125 bucks. Now IF and ONLY if your mechinically inclined you can replace them, if not your local shop will for about a grand. so 60 + 125 + 1000 = 1185.00 now dosent that sound cheaper than a new motor ? btw ill just give you the vtc's just pay shipping again THEY NEED TO BE REBUILT. at any rate the next thing to check is the timing chain tensioners. they look like "feet" that press against the timing chain. they are hydrulically operated and "pump up" using your cars oil. after they are pumped they press against the chain to keep it taught. if they are failing then the chain will be flopping around and you risk breaking it. they are 40-80 bucks each from www.napaautoparts.com again if your not mechanically inclined buy the parts and have the shop install them. the ticking could also be the valves, hows the valve seals ? a full motor gasket kit is 300 bucks from nissan this includes new valve seals. however i think your problem lies in the VTC's they get REAL LOUD i know mine were toast till i rebuilt them. (well nissan did it my mechanic installed them.)