3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.
View Poll Results: Which option to go with (see description)?
Welded steel plate
66.67%
Glued rubber seal
0%
Bolted plastic cover
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Custom grill with a headlights conv. - your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
i like the sketch, i had actualy considered making something similar to that to cover up the tops of the headlights after dooing the no gap covers, and haivng it incorporate into the grille. i would make it out of 'glass and all one piece that would actualy just look like a stock grille, just cleaner looking when the hood is open. i wouldnt do the dimples on top though. just do eyebrows and put the dimples in the bottom.
I'm afraid they'll keep vibrating unless attached somehow on the top (use 3M tape instead of screws?).
BTW, it wouldn't look that much different with the screws - I planned to use one of the screws holding headlight (so that it covers brackets and the other screw).

Also I have no choice because my grill is cracked and I need to replace it anyway
Old 02-26-2004, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by rrrfoma
I'm afraid they'll keep vibrating unless attached somehow on the top (use 3M tape instead of screws?).
BTW, it wouldn't look that much different with the screws - I planned to use one of the screws holding headlight (so that it covers brackets and the other screw).

Also I have no choice because my grill is cracked and I need to replace it anyway
depending on how you do it you can always have it snap into the grille's mounts
Old 02-26-2004, 09:14 PM

depending on how you do it you can always have it snap into the grille's mounts
True ... but I don't want any vibration from it. Additional rubber washers ... pins ... limited space behind the grill - not very convenient. Because my priority is a good look from outside without any gaps on the sides (while hood closed). As well as ability to take it off easily and put back the same way. It doesn't have to be perfect from inside but I still think it's going to look just fine with those screws.

BTW, I have started to build a bending machine from a 4 ton hydraulic press for now - I don't see any other way to fabricate the piece I have in mind (especially just with hand tools, which I already tried). Hope I'll be able to finish it

Anyway ... I'll keep you, guys, posted.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:22 AM

True ... but I don't want any vibration from it. Additional rubber washers ... pins ... limited space behind the grill - not very convenient. Because my priority is a good look from outside without any gaps on the sides (while hood closed). As well as ability to take it off easily and put back the same way. It doesn't have to be perfect from inside but I still think it's going to look just fine with those screws.

BTW, I have started to build a bending machine from a 4 ton hydraulic press for now - I don't see any other way to fabricate the piece I have in mind (especially just with hand tools, which I already tried). Hope I'll be able to finish it

Anyway ... I'll keep you, guys, posted.
+1 on the group deal! great looking idea.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:28 PM

OK ... I had some time to work on a custom grill this weekend.

What do you think about this center piece design?
- should I reduce openings from the sides?
- does center section (with a nissan emblem) look good?
- any other comments?

Old 03-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what do you have in mind for grille area itself? black mesh? the bezel or surround part would look great painted the body color. the inserts would look great recessed with a mesh or a honeycomb (like on the new GTO). hamburger logo is fine. the design is somewhat like what they do now, yet i like yours better.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:09 PM

Both inserts I plan to make from aluminum mesh (anodized in black).
I have two options here - push them inside a little or outside. I didn't decide which way they would look better.

Talking of the middle section (like what they do right now). It will provide extra "support". But I still can redesign its shape - any other suggestions?

Grill will be painted body color (which is black).
Old 03-07-2004, 07:36 PM

looks good, are you planning on giving it a lip in as well around the inside of the grille or just cutting it flat?
Old 03-07-2004, 07:46 PM

looks good, are you planning on giving it a lip in as well around the inside of the grille or just cutting it flat?
I'm going to make "channel"-s from both sides (use two rollers with a "U-profile" - forgot how they're called). This should bring insert surroundings kind of to the front. Then I'll cut out the opening and make a "lip" al around.

I probably should "push" inserts themselves to the outside (the same level as mentioned above "channels") ... or inside ... ?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:11 PM

i would make it slightly recessed, maybee 1/4 inch
Old 03-07-2004, 09:14 PM

thanx, guys!
if I wake up early enough tommorrow, I'll get a chance to make all the bending job. I'll post pics then.

BTW, I hoped to hear more opinions on the "look" ... but I guess nobody else is interested
Old 03-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanx, guys!
if I wake up early enough tommorrow, I'll get a chance to make all the bending job. I'll post pics then.

BTW, I hoped to hear more opinions on the "look" ... but I guess nobody else is interested
recess the mesh grille a bit, as said earlier. black is great for the mesh. a lip is good, too. paint the bezel part the body color. when you get a prototype, i'd like to see that.