3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The VE is back in action as of 5pm est !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
yeah, I cant really feel a difference. Well I did at first, but that was because my first time driving it ported it was like 27* out and all of first gear would spin, I was sad when a few days later first gear had (some) traction I should port my TB/TB opening on the manifold, but I'm just tired of dealing with metal shavings lol. I figured I'll just do it when I have the engine apart again.
TB definately helps, i dont think i'm getting nearly as much power as i should be, i havent ported the manifold opening yet i'm going to wait a few more weeks and then i'll just do TB, intake opening and upper/lower manifolds..could i actually be losing power because of the lip on the back of the throttle body?
shawn, when i send those spacers, i can only do it to the gaskets i have (Stock TB and intake), so you're going to have to enlarge it to your ported TB and what not..not a big deal.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:20 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MaDMaX024
TB definately helps, i dont think i'm getting nearly as much power as i should be, i havent ported the manifold opening yet i'm going to wait a few more weeks and then i'll just do TB, intake opening and upper/lower manifolds..could i actually be losing power because of the lip on the back of the throttle body?
WOW! You ported your TB and didn't match the intake. That's a big NoNo. You could be losing HP b/c of the drastic disturbance in the airflow. Try to match that upper intake as soon as you possibly can. It's like putting on a really nice exhaust system and then actually putting a cap on the muffler so the exhaust gases can't escape. haha It might not be that bad, but you get my analogy.

With my TB porting, I'd say I did get a GOOD tenth in the 1/4 mile. Maybe .15.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:39 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

ive been wanting to hit the track for a while now. englishtown is the closest to me and my schedule stinks work mon-fri 8-5, school mon-fri 6-9, weekend wife and kids. dosent leave me much room for track time. ill have to buy the wife something nice so i get the ok to go to the track , if i dont ...well all the married guys here can sympathize..LOL
Old 03-07-2004, 04:41 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Dude, you really need to hit the track. Did you know the fastest NA VE is only 14.3s? Put some slicks on that thing and you can beat that. I'm trying to beat it myself with my automagic.
14.3 thats it ? hummm according to everything thats in the car as long as i hit my launch and not miss any gears (like that would happen) i should beat 14.3 easy...
Old 03-07-2004, 05:29 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by gowirelessnj
14.3 thats it ? hummm according to everything thats in the car as long as i hit my launch and not miss any gears (like that would happen) i should beat 14.3 easy...
WITH slicks, you should beat that time. Bryan H did 14.3 back in the day and nobody has touched it since. He only had a few mods and lots of tinkering (weight reduction, timing, more weight reduction, and a little more reduction after that).

It's going to take a lot for me to do 14.3s, but if a VE 5spd did the same amount of work as I have to my car, it should be running high 13s with slicks pretty easily. I dare to say mid 13s. lol
Old 03-07-2004, 06:00 PM

ive been wanting to hit the track for a while now. englishtown is the closest to me and my schedule stinks work mon-fri 8-5, school mon-fri 6-9, weekend wife and kids. dosent leave me much room for track time. ill have to buy the wife something nice so i get the ok to go to the track , if i dont ...well all the married guys here can sympathize..LOL
do you have school in the summer? keep practicing your launching whenever, do some more mods...maybe we can meet up with a bunch of VE guys and set some records, i know you, julio and myself are up to it.

aaron, i swapped tires today, 215/55 kumho supra 712 on 4th gen SE wheels, byebye first gear traction issues! now if i can get the launching down so i dont roast my tires through first i'll be all ready for the track. also, my car feels strange now, i havent driven it in like a week but it definately feels like its being labored to get to redline, who knows, i'll port the intake soon probably spend a whole day on it and making a spacer for it (btw, whenever you want a spacer, let me know, i have tons of free time to make them)
Old 03-08-2004, 02:27 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

im down and yes im going in the summer to finish earlier..but i can take day off for racing !!!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:26 PM

im down and yes im going in the summer to finish earlier..but i can take day off for racing !!!
it'll probably be around the end of may..
Old 03-08-2004, 07:56 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

humm first problem arised today - the IACV seems to not be working - problem (connector is loose) if i jiggle the connector it comes on but its not making a tight connection so if its left overnight and i start it in the morning it wont stay on. and if im comming to a stop the idle drops to about 300 (for a split second) then idles at about 600. guess the connector is no good ??

ALSO you ve 5speed guys do me a favor look at the harness that the IACV is attached to. do you have a wire comming out of that area (over the tranny) that has a connector on the end of it but it has no wire comming out of it ? i took the connector apart and there were no terminals on the side without the wire, am i to assume this was for an option the car diddnt come with ?? please take a look i hope nothing was ripped out.....thanks guys ...........ill try to take a pic if you dont see what im talking about .....