3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Alternator life span, how long will it last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Alternator life span, how long will it last?

I've been working on a complete GPS/DVD/MP3 for a long time. It's pretty much complete but I'm having some problems with the electrical system. I need the output from my alternator to maintain 13+ voltage with a somewhat high electrical load (rolling up the windows + headlights on + defroster + windshield wipers etc...). So far a combination of these things will cause the computer to reboot because of low voltage.

With my alternator nearing 180k miles I was wondering if I'd gain anything by replacing it. I'm not looking into getting a high output one like would be used for a highend stero. I'd probably go with a stock alternator if it would be worth the money.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:23 AM
mod or sell?

As a cheat you can run a smaller pulley. and I would also suggest a capacitor.
Both however are band-aid fixes.
You really need to get a self regulating power supply for the computer setup. that should cure the problem
Old 03-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by adamis
With my alternator nearing 180k miles I was wondering if I'd gain anything by replacing it. I'm not looking into getting a high output one like would be used for a highend stero. I'd probably go with a stock alternator if it would be worth the money.
With you changing any moving part that has 180K you will gain something, "maybe" another 180K without any problem, maybe not. Personally it sounds like you need one of those high output (amps) alternators for your set-up. If you do replace your current alternator with another stock alternator go with a alternator from the dealer. Sure you might pay 10X more, but for a set-up like yours (and since you don't want a high output alternator) I would definately get a dealer alternator. If you were like the rest of us with no fancy dancy electrical stuff then I would say, keep your current 180K alternator. If that dies pick up another one from the part store, but keep your receipt
Old 03-07-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by adamis
I've been working on a complete GPS/DVD/MP3 for a long time. It's pretty much complete but I'm having some problems with the electrical system. I need the output from my alternator to maintain 13+ voltage with a somewhat high electrical load (rolling up the windows + headlights on + defroster + windshield wipers etc...). So far a combination of these things will cause the computer to reboot because of low voltage.

I'd also suggest the smaller pulley on the alternator, at idle the alt. puts out very little current.

You can also upgrade the pos. and neg. wires running out of the alt. and also clean the oxidation that is on their right now, by removing all the terminals and cleaning them with a wire brush.