3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 03:44 PM

Intake

I am wondering what size the intake piping is, or where to go to get piping to fabricate my new one. Also what is used to make connections between pipes, and thirdly what type/size filter have you used. Info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One more question, in your oppinion would it be better to make a CAI or just replace the filter with a K&N and get rid of the stock airbox?

Ricky
Old 03-13-2004, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxrf
I am wondering what size the intake piping is, or where to go to get piping to fabricate my new one. Also what is used to make connections between pipes, and thirdly what type/size filter have you used. Info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One more question, in your oppinion would it be better to make a CAI or just replace the filter with a K&N and get rid of the stock airbox?

Ricky
Alright, if I can recall correctly, the piping is 3". What is used to make connections between pipes? I don't really know what you're aiming at, so I'm going to say either a weld or a pipe clamp is used. The type and size of filter used...I'd say a lot of people go with the K&N cone filter for around $50 to $60. But, for the most gains, a CAI would be the best choice.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:08 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by MaximaBalla
Alright, if I can recall correctly, the piping is 3". What is used to make connections between pipes? I don't really know what you're aiming at, so I'm going to say either a weld or a pipe clamp is used. The type and size of filter used...I'd say a lot of people go with the K&N cone filter for around $50 to $60. But, for the most gains, a CAI would be the best choice.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:18 PM

The opening on our MAF adapters is 3 1/4" (I think). Internetautomar might be selling MAF adapters with the RIGHT diameter.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:57 AM

If you want the gains from a CAI but don't want to put a real CAI in, you can do something to make your car think its getting cold air. First I would at least put a cone filter or mushroom filter on to replace the airbox. Then you can put a 4k resister inbetween 2 wires going to your MAF and it makes the car think its getting like 40 degree air, which has the car put more gas in, which gives more horsepower. It will increase HP, but decrease gas milage. A mechanic where I work showed me this trick. It was cool, but I didn't leave it like that, my gas milage sucks as it is, I need a tune-up.
Not sure which wires he put the resistor in, I could ask him, if your interested. Just an idea for ya.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Im izz sexay

yes ask him which wires
Old 03-14-2004, 12:32 PM

I dunno about that 'mod'. you might be running too rich and fouling up your sparkplugs etc.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Way out West

I think under most circumstances, you will definitely run too rich with that done.

Has anyone bought that CAI kit off of ebay yet? I was curious as to the fittment on it. Anyway, if you look at that kit, it will basically show you the parts you need to have.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Im izz sexay

Someone has bought the VE ebay CAI. I think it was asw66 (if that is correct).
Old 03-14-2004, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by turdlett
Someone has bought the VE ebay CAI. I think it was asw66 (if that is correct).

I've been looking for a CAI for the VE on ebay, all i can find is one's for the VG. Does anyone know where to get CAI for the VE just the piping, i already have the K&N filter. Oh and I've been looking into the Tornado Fuel Saver, would this count as a mod. It claims to add horsepower and save gas mileage, im thinkin about gettin one to see if there is really a difference. Its supposed to work wonders.....
Old 03-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

awsm66 got the CAI kit from ebay. It says it for a VG but its mismarked. He's posted lots of pics and several threads about it. Another VE owner (portdave) got the same kit and installed it easily in his 93SE.
http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/awsm66 I think is his page, check out his FAQs
Old 03-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaxima
I've been looking for a CAI for the VE on ebay, all i can find is one's for the VG. Does anyone know where to get CAI for the VE just the piping, i already have the K&N filter. Oh and I've been looking into the Tornado Fuel Saver, would this count as a mod. It claims to add horsepower and save gas mileage, im thinkin about gettin one to see if there is really a difference. Its supposed to work wonders.....
He thought that the pipe was for a VE even though the listing stated that it was for VG's. Remember that the VG has couple of short pipes and the VG has about 3 feet worth of pipes.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:06 PM

The "tornado" -- that MYSTERIOUS piece of $70 metal that gives you better gains than any other three mods combined? I don't think it is all that it is cracked up to be. If it was genuine, I think I would know of at least person who has actually bought it. I also read a report on consumer reports or one of those new car magazines that proved on a suburban that it not only didn't increase power or gas mileage, but it actually caused it to lose gas mileage. I just think that if the product did what it says it does, that the government and car companies would buy into it immediately. Check out this websight if you don't want to take my word for it http://www.wcpo.com/external/dwym/208e9791.html
Hope this helps you out!