3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Painting a plastic grill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Getting back to his roots

Painting a plastic grill?

I bought a replacement grill a few months ago, and I want to paint it now. Since it is plastic, I am not 100% sure what the best way to paint it is. It is already painted maroon, and I want to paint it black. This is what I was planning to do:

- Sand the maroon paint
- Spray primer over the existing paint
- Sand the primer
- Paint over the sanded primer with a spray color-match paint
- Spray clearcoat over the paint

Does this sound correct? When I went to autozone, the guy told me to use the paint specifically made to bond to plastic, but I don't think he understood that there was already paint on the grill, and I question whether it would match the rest of my car. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
I bought a replacement grill a few months ago, and I want to paint it now. Since it is plastic, I am not 100% sure what the best way to paint it is. It is already painted maroon, and I want to paint it black. This is what I was planning to do:

- Sand the maroon paint
- Spray primer over the existing paint
- Sand the primer
- Paint over the sanded primer with a spray color-match paint
- Spray clearcoat over the paint

Does this sound correct? When I went to autozone, the guy told me to use the paint specifically made to bond to plastic, but I don't think he understood that there was already paint on the grill, and I question whether it would match the rest of my car. Thanks for any help.

sounds good to me. Use 400 grit to wet sand the paint and then use primer. Wet sand the primer with 600 and paint. Only use clear if you have a paint that requires it. In otherwords dont use clear over a single stage paint. Normally I would say use a courser grit paper to sand the original paint but 400 will be fine and that way you dont have to do too may coats of clear.

Here is another couple of tips:

wash the grill with dawn first. Then use a de-greaser on it. Then finally sand...wipe with de-greaser, prime, sand primer, de-grease and paint.

Be sure to wipe the de-greaser off and not let it dry. If you let it dry it will just deposit the contamanents back onto the grill.

it sounds like more work that it really is and you can probably skip some of it but that is how I would do it.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i did it an i just washed it down and clean it and then went to town sandng it and the painted it with caliper spray paint its real nice and thick and i have have had no scratchs or nicks. Only took me about 30min