3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Trans-go shift kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 02:16 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Well, let me start by saying this sh*t is no joke. The kit install itself was easy, but the removal and disassembly of the VB is a pain in the ***. The kit I purchased was the RE4FO4 trannies

The 4th gen guys have RE4FO4A trannies while us 92-93SE has RE4FO4V trannies. If any of you guys ever removed the tranny pan, there's about 20+/- bolts and only 13 bolts hold the VB within the tranny housing, the others hold the VB together. Did I mention the VB consists of three sections bolted together? This is why it's important not to removed the wrong bolts when dropping the VB.

As for the performance gains, I can definately feel a difference between the 1-2 upshift with moderate throttle. At WOT the shifting was increased also, but very slightly. Many have compared Don's VB to the shift kit, keep in mind Don's VB more performance orientated while the Trans-go kit intended on reducing the chance of common tranny failures. But for $50 dollars you get what you pay for.

If any VE guys decide to try this mod, I can send you a detail instructions on dropping, disassembling and reassembling the VB (which was from my 94 service manual) Trust me learn from my mistakes, maybe I can help so you don't have to drop it twice like how I had to.
Old 03-31-2001, 05:17 PM

yo candiman..is that the stillen body kit,,,just curious to see how much u paid for the kit and installation...peace
Old 03-31-2001, 06:11 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

YES

Stillen body kit, I paid dealer cost for it over 4yrs ago. Cant really remember the price but it was much lower than retail. Install it myself, after taking it to a local auto body school and paying a student to paint/prep the pieces.
Old 03-31-2001, 07:00 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

did u get new solonoids for the VB or did u just change out the spring and drilled the hole? i assume u also needed to get new gaskets for the VB pieces? was it a one day affair or did u have the car down a few days?

Originally posted by CandiMan
Well, let me start by saying this sh*t is no joke. The kit install itself was easy, but the removal and disassembly of the VB is a pain in the ***. The kit I purchased was the RE4FO4 trannies

The 4th gen guys have RE4FO4A trannies while us 92-93SE has RE4FO4V trannies. If any of you guys ever removed the tranny pan, there's about 20+/- bolts and only 13 bolts hold the VB within the tranny housing, the others hold the VB together. Did I mention the VB consists of three sections bolted together? This is why it's important not to removed the wrong bolts when dropping the VB.

As for the performance gains, I can definately feel a difference between the 1-2 upshift with moderate throttle. At WOT the shifting was increased also, but very slightly. Many have compared Don's VB to the shift kit, keep in mind Don's VB more performance orientated while the Trans-go kit intended on reducing the chance of common tranny failures. But for $50 dollars you get what you pay for.

If any VE guys decide to try this mod, I can send you a detail instructions on dropping, disassembling and reassembling the VB (which was from my 94 service manual) Trust me learn from my mistakes, maybe I can help so you don't have to drop it twice like how I had to.
Old 03-31-2001, 07:12 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

One day affair

No I did not replace the solenoid assemby, just the drilling and springs. You assume correct about using new gaskets. This in one area where I will definately tell whoever to get new gaskets (4 total) not including the tranny pan. Even though many have done the kit without replacing the gaskets, but I can only suggest from my experience. Someone who has installed the Trans-go kit finally had a chance to drive in Don's car and he compared the two. He wrote it up in the general discussion forum. Of course I had to drop a reply on his post, directed to Don. If I ever go with NoS maybe I'll invest with Don's VB, but for know I'm only out $70 (kit + gaskets)
Old 03-31-2001, 10:33 PM

I also installed this kit into my tranny like a month ago. However I think that it still might be breaking in some. It will spin my 17's over when it hits second gear. Second shifts really hard now. No more eash slow shifts it throes it into gear.