3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Losing Freon

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 05:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Losing Freon

I keep adding freon to my AC. Is
it a hose thing like the fuel lines where
they dry out and leak? Any common
areas that go wong on Maxima AC
System? Any easy fix? Thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 08:47 AM

You probably got a leak somewhere. Try to flush your system and add this stuff called leak stopper along with the oil lubricant and the r134a cans of freon.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

check those OH-rings.

shoot some leak detector and find the leak. repair the leak...pull a vacume and do a leakdown test. if all is good and it holds vacume then crack open a can of freon/refrigrant and charge the right amount.

if what i just said seems to be a foreign language to u then i recommend u visit a pro.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:09 PM
94c Big Max

those refrigerants are very oily. if there is a leak, look for a shiny or glossy spot. if you found it, then that's where you got leaks. if you got a leak coming from any of the metal parts, then it's gonna be biatch to fix. I got a big *** hole in my condenser, so I'd said to myself to screw it. I rather sweat.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:13 PM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by bvtran
those refrigerants are very oily. if there is a leak, look for a shiny or glossy spot. if you found it, then that's where you got leaks. if you got a leak coming from any of the metal parts, then it's gonna be biatch to fix. I got a big *** hole in my condenser, so I'd said to myself to screw it. I rather sweat.
dude I saw a 89-94 maxima ac condenser on ebay brand new for $32...if you interested ill try to find it for you again

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33547

Old 08-23-2004, 11:16 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by smokyman13
dude I saw a 89-94 maxima ac condenser on ebay brand new for $32...if you interested ill try to find it for you again
thansk, dude. but how hard is it to tink around with the condensor? how much do most places charge to evacuate my refrigerant?
Old 08-24-2004, 05:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

through what line are you entering the refrigerant through? i know its the low pressure side but specifically which one is it?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:56 AM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by bvtran
thansk, dude. but how hard is it to tink around with the condensor? how much do most places charge to evacuate my refrigerant?
if you have a place install a condenser that you bought....and have them drain/refill freon/oil.....hmmm it shouldn't be no more than 2 hours work....Im taking a guess by saying you would pay them around $100 or so...and possibly get new freon/oil.....you should call around to some shops that service a/c around you and tell them what you want and get an estimate

Old 08-24-2004, 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=smokyman13]dude I saw a 89-94 maxima ac condenser on ebay brand new for $32...if you interested ill try to find it for you again

The one listed at this auction is for '89-92 with R12. If you have R134a ('93-'94) you might need a different one. I bought one a couple of summers ago for my '93 and never got around to putting it in or putting it back on eBay. If you want it, I'd part with it cheap. If you want eBay buyer's protection, I could list it there too . . .

ajayhend (at) hotmail.com

BigAl
Old 08-29-2004, 01:28 PM
rcy

Dude, you have a leak somewhere if you have to keep adding refrigerant. There are two ways to find it. Add some dye to the system, run the A/C for a couple weeks (or couple hours depending on how big the leak is) then check for the dye. Most light up with a UV light, although some are bright green and easy to see. The other method is to use an electronic sniffer to find the leak. This method is great for checking the evaporator for a leak since you can't see the evaporator easily (it's in the dash with the heater core) to check for dye. Since a good sniffer can cost upwards of $100 and you need special equipment to find the dye, I would suggest you get a shop to diagnose the leak. Once the leak is pinpointed, you can decide if it's possible to do it yourself, or if you need a pro to do it.

As someone else stated, look for oily stains around the compressor and condensor fittings and all hoses and connections. While refrigerant itself is not oily, the oil that is added to the system to lubricate the compressor is, and will leak out with the refrigerant causing a stain that is easy to spot.

Also, dude, I would stay away from those sealers you add to the system. They usually end up causing more trouble than they solve. They basically work by reacting with moisture and hardening. The idea is wherever the leak is, the sealant leaks out, reacts with the moisture in the air, hardens and seals the leak. The problem is, if there is any moisture INSIDE your system the sealant will harden inside, possibly seizing your compressor, and more than likely clogging the tubes and plugging your orifice tube or TXV valve. Then you're looking at replacing a lot more than one leaky hose or component.

One other thing, although if you've been adding freon you're probably doing it right, make sure you use the right refrigerant (r12 or r134) for your car. I 'think' '93 and up were R134, '92 and down were R12. Make sure you add it to the low side port, not the hight side.

By the way, for loads of A/C help and advice go to www.aircondition.com and check the forum.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by eyemann
I keep adding freon to my AC. Is
it a hose thing like the fuel lines where
they dry out and leak? Any common
areas that go wong on Maxima AC
System? Any easy fix? Thanks
I hope that's a R134a system you're adding too. Cause I know most of the 3rd gens came with R12. And you cannot buy R12 cans anymore unless you're certified. And if you're getting R134a into a R12 system, you're going to end up with a bigger problem than just a leak. You can kiss your compressor goodbye, along with any seals.

And you got the dates right RCY. 93 and above is R134a, and 92 and below is R12 unless they've been retrofitted.