3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5th Gen Strut Bar fit my 93 VG?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:24 AM

5th Gen Strut Bar fit my 93 VG?

I was wondering, does a regular 5th strut bar clear the AC line and fit in my 93 VG? I don't feel like forking out $50 for the Otto Bar even though it looks pretty nice.

Would this one work? --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591

thanks
Ben
Old 12-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Banned

yes the 5th gen bars work
Old 12-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

yes it will work BUT the ones with the brackets like that (curved instead of straight up) will hit the AC line so you will have to move it. If you do not want to move the AC line then get a bar with the straight up brackets like the otto...there are some cheap ones out there with the straight brackets.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:14 PM
mod or sell?

the other "issue" is the hood doesn't close exactly perfect after install. the rear sticks up about an 1/8th of an inch, but that will also vary by design.
FWIW my hood does stick up with my el cheapo bar, and I have the straight brackets.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:29 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

mine fits real good. only problem i had was it hitting the intake but i just adjusted it and its fine.....
Old 12-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Well if you want a perfect fitting bar then get the Otto bar. It is perfect in every way. If you dont want to spend the money then compromise and get one of the other bars. some times you get lucky and find a bar that is cheap and a perfect fit. Still though I dont think $50 for an Otto is expensive. Go look at Stillen's bar and then compare price and Stillen bar is exactly like the Otto bar except for the name on it (gotta pay for the name).

I of course have the Nismo edition of the Otto bar lol.

I prefer to have things perfect...or at least the things I can control.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:18 PM

I just wanted to confirm that this strut bar has the straight brackets, opposed to the curved ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Thanks for the help fellas, I really appreciate it.
Ben
Old 12-12-2004, 11:25 PM
94c Big Max

I don't know why people here keep looking at bars from different generation when in fact there were a lot of bars made exclusively for our 3rd gen model. Some of them are so dirt cheap. You could even get two off ebay. Use one in the front. I got mine for only $20 but I've seen those guys selling them for only $10 + 10 SH now. And you could even modify the other one to fit the back too if you have a nice welder handy. Just becareful that when messing around with these bar, it could creates uneven tire wires regardless of the band you used.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:19 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by bvtran
I don't know why people here keep looking at bars from different generation when in fact there were a lot of bars made exclusively for our 3rd gen model. Some of them are so dirt cheap. You could even get two off ebay. Use one in the front. I got mine for only $20 but I've seen those guys selling them for only $10 + 10 SH now. And you could even modify the other one to fit the back too if you have a nice welder handy. Just becareful that when messing around with these bar, it could creates uneven tire wires regardless of the band you used.

because there are none made specifically for the 92 up SE that is why. Also some of the ones made for our cars will not fit the 92-94 GXE because of the AC line. Its just easier to get one for a 5th gen.

Who really cares what year its for they bolt up exactly the same no matter what.

My otto seems like it was made specifically for my car even though its a 5th gen. bar.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:46 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by BensMax93
I just wanted to confirm that this strut bar has the straight brackets, opposed to the curved ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Thanks for the help fellas, I really appreciate it.
Ben
that's the exact one I bought. I had to take out one of the jam nuts to get it too fit. took me about 30 mins to get it in.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:57 AM
94c Big Max

to awsm66:
in regards to ac line problem, this is really normal case. you just tap the line gently enough with a rubber hammer so the bar goes right over. if you over loosen the ac line screw where it goes to the firewall, which you shouldn't really, but if you really did by accident then retighten that screw that's all.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

to awsm66:
in regards to ac line problem, this is really normal case. you just tap the line gently enough with a rubber hammer so the bar goes right over. if you over loosen the ac line screw where it goes to the firewall, which you shouldn't really, but if you really did by accident then retighten that screw that's all.
my FSTB does NOT touch this AC line at all, neither does awsm66's OTTO bar

it's normal case for bars that dont quite fit, but it doesnt have to be that way
Old 12-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

to awsm66:
exactly what Craig said. Its normal for bars that dont fit correctly. I define fitting correctly as just having to put it on without adjusting anything else on the car.

BTW I know how to move the ac line. I got one of those cheap bars once. It was supposed to have the straight bracket but it didnt. I used it anyway and lightly moved the line without using a rubber hammer though.

All I am saying is (and I thought I was clear) if you want one that fits perfect and I mean perfect (no moving the AC line or the hood sticking up etc.) then get a Otto bar. If you dont care that you have to move the AC (its a personal choice and really isnt a problem) then get a cheaper one and not worry about it. No biggie...I just like things to be right...again I say right as in not having to adjust anything else on the car. Thats just my opinion though because most people are not as **** as I am about the little things.

Trust me I am probably one of the pickiest people around (well no one is as picky as DanNY ). I will sit and nit pick a car that most would think is perfect...I see the little things...the attention to detail.

edit: in my earlier post I was talking about the bars like on Chris91SE's car when I said some of the ones that are for the 3rd gen will not fit the 92 up. There is no moving the AC line to clear that one because the bar is straight. I am pretty sure some have tried and failed.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yup. The one I have looks a lot the one BensMax93 posted and it just lightly touches the AC line. Because of that line I've always suggested a compatible 5th Gen bar for anything 92-94. It does rub the hood liner a little bit, but doesn't push up on anything.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=90540