3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

H.i.d???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
Get a new one or go with a reputable company. One thing I know is not to go cheap with my car's major accessories. Especially the headlights.
the "good" companies that make decent HIDs are no longer selling them in the US since they banned all aftermarket kits in the states.

the ones you see on the market now is cheap made in tawain, china, korea, rebased bulbs with a cheap ballast. sometimes you have companies that sell the cheap bulbs with a phillips or hella ballast. in that case the actual bulb is the part you should worry about.

the catz HID system back in the day was nice. nice matsu****a ballast and ignitor with a decent bulb.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:45 AM
Im izz sexay

I thought that it was illegal to sell rebased bulbs kits.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
I thought that it was illegal to sell rebased bulbs kits.
it is...but so many companies pop up out of no where that NHTSA is having a hard time catching everyone. also some are based out of canada or europe so the US laws can't touch them. tough situation...but it's like crack..there's a demand it will get here some how.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 AM

true on the crack story, crack is a little worse than hids.....
Old 03-16-2005, 11:51 AM

good point danny, would you trust buying a hid system?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:52 AM

but to anser the other part of the question, i would get the bmw lights.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 PM

since the ban, what people usually do is retrofit OEM hids and/or projectors from other cars; also a more reliable way to go opposed to a disreputable aftermarket company
Old 03-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by markmaxima
good point danny, would you trust buying a hid system?
get some kind of OEM set up.

best thing to do is run a D2S projector or some kind of D2R reflector set up.

you'll have PLENTY of quality OEM ballasts to choose from (hella, phillips, koito). the bulbs are top notch phillips or orsam bulbs.

only downside is you need to figure out how to make the correct cut off shield so it's not glare city infront of you. this is where most neglect to do and that gave the aftermarket HIDs a bad rep.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yep, I had them in my maxima. 9004 housings.

I still have them, rather I have them again, in my supra. Much better this time with e-code reflectors, glare shields, OEM nissan Matsu****a ballasts, and D2R bulbs. I have a distinct cutoff with the right-hand flares. No pics of the supra, but the maxima looked like this:

I rewired the corner lights to be completely off unless the signal was on, then full bright because nothing I could put in them looked even close to the HID.

edit: apparently I can't say mat su shi ta, but thats what ballasts I use.

also, I found a single picture of the lights on the supra. This is my beam pattern now. There's a lot of light bleed into the crappy cell phone lens, but the beam pattern is solely what's bright here, nothing else. It's also quite wide, I'm just parked pretty close to the wall there.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan190
since the ban, what people usually do is retrofit OEM hids and/or projectors from other cars; also a more reliable way to go opposed to a disreputable aftermarket company

you're kidding me right? no offense joe,but you should rephrase that. what people usually do is STEAL oem hid's from other cars, causing 3-8000 dollars worth of damage. it takes less than 5 minutes to steal 5th gen headlights without any body damage.hmmmmmmmmm, would you rather pay 500 for a kit or free????? i have never heard someone say that they just went out and spent 1500 bucks on new oem nissan(lexus(rx330 is 1500 a SIDE, 1300 for the wiring), acura, etc) lights just to butcher them and put them in their civic. and dont think that there's hid lights at a junk yard. hid's come in high end cars. high end cars get junked and sold to rebuilders, they never see a junk yard unless they are mangled, in that case the lights didnt survive. guess what, the ones on ebay are probably stolen too.
the reason why hid's are illegal in anything other than what was offered from the factory is because non-hid housings cant project the light the same as hid housings, causing people to be blinded and crash.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
you're kidding me right? no offense joe,but you should rephrase that. what people usually do is STEAL oem hid's from other cars, causing 3-8000 dollars worth of damage. it takes less than 5 minutes to steal 5th gen headlights without any body damage.hmmmmmmmmm, would you rather pay 500 for a kit or free????? i have never heard someone say that they just went out and spent 1500 bucks on new oem nissan(lexus(rx330 is 1500 a SIDE, 1300 for the wiring), acura, etc) lights just to butcher them and put them in their civic. and dont think that there's hid lights at a junk yard. hid's come in high end cars. high end cars get junked and sold to rebuilders, they never see a junk yard unless they are mangled, in that case the lights didnt survive. guess what, the ones on ebay are probably stolen too.
the reason why hid's are illegal in anything other than what was offered from the factory is because non-hid housings cant project the light the same as hid housings, causing people to be blinded and crash.
How everyone else "acquires" their hids are none of my business nor concern, Im just stating a simple and obvious fact
Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan190
How everyone else "acquires" their hids are none of my business nor concern, Im just stating a simple and obvious fact

no the simple and obvious fact is that if they are not an aftermarket kit 98% of the time they are stolen(the other 2% is people that "acquire" them from damaged headlights from an accident, legally) lets not even go into 5th and 6th gen rims.
i especially figured since you're family has a 5th gen you would care. ive seen people who have had the headlights on a 5th gen stolen several times on the same car. in fact some 5.5 owners opt to put in the earlier model lights to not have to deal with the hassle again.500-1000 dollar deductible a pop sucks(not to mention what the ins. co pays). im sure you're attitude would change though if you were to find your car vandalized. in fact it's attitudes like that that cause ny's insurance to be so high.

none of my business nor concern,until it happens to you
Old 03-16-2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
no the simple and obvious fact is that if they are not an aftermarket kit 98% of the time they are stolen(the other 2% is people that "acquire" them from damaged headlights from an accident, legally) lets not even go into 5th and 6th gen rims.
i especially figured since you're family has a 5th gen you would care. ive seen people who have had the headlights on a 5th gen stolen several times on the same car. in fact some 5.5 owners opt to put in the earlier model lights to not have to deal with the hassle again.500-1000 dollar deductible a pop sucks(not to mention what the ins. co pays). im sure you're attitude would change though if you were to find your car vandalized. in fact it's attitudes like that that cause ny's insurance to be so high.

none of my business nor concern,until it happens to you
What i meant by "fact" is that ive seen alot of org members retrofit oem hids, i made no reference as to how they may have acquired them. Our 5th gen has the data dots installed, and were installed a long time ago. And why would it happen to me? Im driving a 13 year old car with crappy 9004 headlights. I agree and I am well aware of the problem, and in no way do I condone it by telling people here to deliberately go out and steal them, Im just stating what i see/saw here on the org in regards to pics of various hid installs.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Banned

Im glad I dont live in NYC...But its so difficult to simply change a bulb in a 6th gen I think they'd have to steal the whole car to take the HID's, and have them work.