3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What Do You Guys Think.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What Do You Guys Think.

I took my car to the mechanic yesterday and told him about the stalling I was goin through. I told him to check out all the sensors. He called me in the afternoon and told me the there was a problem with my the CPU. I've gone to the search and read that it could of been the coil pack. I asked the mechanic if my coil packs were bad and he told me that one of the upper coils was bad. He also said that all the resaults came back that something was wrong with the CPU. Can this be true?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:58 AM

Did he really say "CPU" ? If he did, i would just go pick my car up and take it to another mechanic. If he said "ECU". i think i would still take it to another mechanic for a second opinion, cause that is probable not the cause of your problem, i would (of cause if you know how to) check which cylinder is having problem, then see if it is the injector, coil, wiring.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by furious max
I took my car to the mechanic yesterday and told him about the stalling I was goin through. I told him to check out all the sensors. He called me in the afternoon and told me the there was a problem with my the CPU. I've gone to the search and read that it could of been the coil pack. I asked the mechanic if my coil packs were bad and he told me that one of the upper coils was bad. He also said that all the resaults came back that something was wrong with the CPU. Can this be true?
Ask about his tests: how did he do them, what were the NUMBERs...

Measure all coil windings ohms -scale. If they're all about the same, then (IF problems) it might be cracked insulation. Clean and lacquer with insulating lacquer or repla$e.

Multiple reasons for stalling, try to illustrate it more detailly. ECU is in the end of that suspect list: listen what nismo says. Btw. CPU is a generic name for processors, and its really inside some ECU chip(s) with myriad stuff. But maybe ? the mech is not really used to car electronics...

Check out http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
Old 03-25-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by NismoChi
Did he really say "CPU" ? If he did, i would just go pick my car up and take it to another mechanic. If he said "ECU". i think i would still take it to another mechanic for a second opinion, cause that is probable not the cause of your problem, i would (of cause if you know how to) check which cylinder is having problem, then see if it is the injector, coil, wiring.
My bad ECU. The exhaust fums has a strong oder of gas way is that?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Ask about his tests: how did he do them, what were the NUMBERs...

Measure all coil windings ohms -scale. If they're all about the same, then (IF problems) it might be cracked insulation. Clean and lacquer with insulating lacquer or repla$e.

Multiple reasons for stalling, try to illustrate it more detailly. ECU is in the end of that suspect list: listen what nismo says. Btw. CPU is a generic name for processors, and its really inside some ECU chip(s) with myriad stuff. But maybe ? the mech is not really used to car electronics...

Check out http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
Is there a site I can go that shows you how to insulate the coils or can someone tell me how it's done.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by furious max
My bad ECU. The exhaust fums has a strong oder of gas way is that?
burning rich... spark plug problem? or leaking injectors.. just my .02
Old 03-25-2005, 04:05 PM

i know wiking won't like this, but did u check ECU codes? when i had my stalling problem, my ECU pointed me directly to MAF sensor. so i replaced it and it fixed the problem...
Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM

i have same prob
Old 03-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Way out West

If you guys have a VG30E, you only know some of the possibilities here. A lot of stuff on the VE is completely different.

If the mechanic tested out the coil packs and one of the upper (rear) ones was bad, replace it. No matter what, you can't keep the old one in there. Then see if your problem persists. It is possible that your coil pack is totally shot and no gas is being ignited in that cylinder, or your fuel injector is a problem, too. Did the mechanic test the injectors?

It is possible that the ECU is bad, but just replace the coil pack first, since it costs about $60 and you can do it yourself in 5 minutes. On the rear ones, there are two 10mm bots and an electrical plug. On the front three there is just one 10mm bolt and a plug. Rreplace the bad one and drive it around for a while to see if this corrects the problem before you begin trying to find a 5-speed ECU for your car. If you can't find a used ECU, I am sure a new one is $500+ (maybe more, I am afraid to price them).

My car kept stalling, hesitating and bucking and it turns out it was the rear coil pack on the passenger side. Before finally replacing it (and fixing the problem), I tried replacing the MAF, ECU, TPS, new spark plugs and new Cam Position sensor.