3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

bose radio with sony cd player

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 12:56 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

bose radio with sony cd player

i got the radio from the yard for 11.95 and wondering where the amp/s are because it aint workin right sound is too low in the speakers, or do i have to get the bose speakers. any help will be nice to have thanks..
Old 06-26-2005, 02:31 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by, "bose radio with sony cd player" cause' usually the cd player has a built in radio. You wouldn't have a head unit that is split between bose and sony, it would be either or. In the bose system, each speaker has it's own amp that is located right next to the speaker. I'm not sure if the bose head unit itself has an amp built in, I'm pretty sure it's just at the speaker. If this is the case you should be able to see the amps clearly next to your speakers. If your amp is blown, or if you have your speaker hooked up directly to the bose head unit and you have bypassed the bose amp, then that will produce the sound you are hearing. You can play non bose speakers through the bose system, but it is my understanding that it is not good for both your head unit and the speakers. Because the bose systems are rated at 2 ohms, while after market stereo components are all rated at 4 ohms, usually. It is a pain in the a$$ to deal with fixing the amps, and definitley not economical unless you are very proficient in electronics. From what I've read, the problem with the amps in the bose system is that usually the capacitors get worn out and need to be replaced. Now, capacitors are cheap, you could buy new capacitors for pocket change, the problem is knowing which ones need to be changed, getting the correct replacements, and knowing how to change them. That is if the capacitors are even the problem in the first place. Paying someone to do this is not worth it. I believe I've heard quotes of it costing around $90.00 per amp for repair. And there, are four amps. You do the math. My suggestion, if your using the bose system, chuck it and get yourself an aftermarket unit, they will be just as realiable if not more so and save you a great many headaches. I am in the process of replacing mine at the moment. Now if your playing a sony deck through bose speakers, that isn't going to be any good either. From my understanding, due to the amperage difference it is harmful to your head unit and some people have reported that there head unit was blown due to this. I don't know personally, but I wouldn't do it. Besides, speakers are not all that expensive anyway, just replace them.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:45 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
i got the radio from the yard for 11.95 and wondering where the amp/s are because it aint workin right sound is too low in the speakers, or do i have to get the bose speakers. any help will be nice to have thanks..
Uumm... you are in the wrong forum, you have a second generation maxima.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:03 AM
mod or sell?

1) the bose radio is externally amplified with individual amps at each seaker.
2) the sony cd player was an option on bose cassette base units.
3) maybe the bose is out of a 3rd gen
Old 06-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Way out West

I don't think the 2nd gen came with Bose

Are you talking about what Internetautomart said (Sony CD player option) or a Sony aftermarket HU?

Bose uses a different system than most aftermarket stereos. They run each speaker individually amplified at 1 ohm. Aftermarket stereos and speakers are 4 ohm.

The line levels are much different, so when you add a different type of signal (say from a Sony HU) to the Bose amp/speaker system, the levels are all out of whack. You need to get a signal adapter (usually about $50) bose adapter on sounddomain I had one of these and it lasted for a couple of years and eventually fried three of the amps and both of the rear speakers.

Or, you have to use aftermarket speakers and bypass the amps. Basically, it is ALL Bose or NO Bose.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:11 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

thanks you guts a great deal i was thinking that it would be that the speakers had individual amps. the bose system itself didnt have any amps. that suxs but ne ways i put this thread in this forum because the radio was from a 3rd gen. my friend had it laying around so i tried to put it in since the 20 year old radio was beginning to fail ne ways. but thanks alot guys.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i just did this last week with my 91. if you're referring to adding an aftermarket hu to stock speakers/stock wiring, it's quite simple. if you have already hooked up the hu to the stock wiring harness, and it sounds like you have, you've already done 1/2 the work. you only now need to bypass the amps. since only 2 wires feed the speaker singnal, you only need to clip two wires fom the harness to the amp. just grab a test light to make sure you've clipped the right ones, the smaller diameter wires feed the speaker(16 guage i believe). just butt some slack wire on, hook it up, and you're good to go. don't forget to keep them in phase!!! good luck!

oooooohhhhh....... nevermind