3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

93 with 84k - $5,950

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 AM

93 with 84k - $5,950

i think not, car dealers... this seller truely thinks that he will get someone to shell out $6,000 for this red 5 speed with get this: tan trim (which i think is repulsive). pisses me off because if he wasn't so clueless, i would have liked to buy the car. not for that price tag though. another thing is that i went to the dealership the other day and he said the car was with a guy who took it to have the oil changed and would be back within an hour but i was going to sleep so i didn't go back. well i waited the weekend and went this morning and he gives me the same line about it being back in an hour because it was having the oil changed. i said "again?" he said "yeah same thing". hehhe what great business practices, someone is obviously using the car while it's advertised for sale. it's a mystery to me how these dealers are successful...i guess there's a lot of suckers out there who enjoy spending 50% more than market value on something. oh well, i guess it gives me the opportunity to buy a black one which is what i really want, i never cared too much for red ones. sorry chris, they're still nice though
Old 08-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what red thats the best color i only dream. car is way over priced i always wondered how those stealerships sell there used cars i once looked at a altima for my girlfriend sales men says it is loaded. ha not even close it was as base as base gets not a thing powered and had a tape player and steelys and the price i wouldnt have even paid for if it was loaded. i know there is always room for negotiation but jeezlaweez
Old 08-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

There are people trying to sell ALL makes of cars for thousands more than they are worth. There are suckers born all the time. Nothing new or exciting.

My question is, if it's so way overpriced why did you go back TWICE to see it??
Old 08-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
My question is, if it's so way overpriced why did you go back TWICE to see it??
heh, well i wanted to test drive it regardless of whether or not i was going to buy it. the only ve i've ever driven was my deceased friend's 94 auto which i didn't even know had a different engine than my mom's 91. this was back in 98 or 99. course then i ended up totalling my mom's car racing him one night on a downhill road (i didn't want to race, but was trying to pass him so he stepped on it and so did i). it was stupidity on both sides. i was just trying to get in front of him because he kept flicking cigarette butts out of his roof and i thought he was doing it to be an ***.

anyway, i also thought that the dealer would be negotiable. obviously i don't have much experience with dealerships. well, i was reminded of my reasons for that today.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

You really think you will be able to neg the price down to something reasonable? I'd rather ice skate uphill for a few miles

And since the car wasn't available both times you wanted to look at it, don't you get the feeling that the dealer KNOWS you won't buy it? ie... just wants to avoid the hassle of letting you flog the thing for nothing?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Way out West

Red isn't actually my favorite color on the 3rd gen, I prefer the color Jeff has (pebble beige) and charcoal. However, finding a VE 5-speed with leather in good condition is pretty tough. I bought what I could get my mitts on. Besides, I paid $2500 for it and it is in very good condition.

The blue book (retail) on a 84k mile 93 SE 5-speed with leather and moonroof is over $5k, so the monkeys at the car lot have it priced according to the book. That doesn't mean I would pay that much for it, but it is within blue book range. It is pretty difficult to find a 12 year-old car with under 100k miles on it, too. If the car is in great shape, I would say $3500-$4000 is not unreasonable.

That being said, if you ever get a chance to see it/drive it in person, it wouldn't hurt to offer say $3000 or $3500 if the car is in really good shape. If they took the car on a trade, the trade in on the car is like $2k, so they are still making money. On most of those "screw you" lots, they are seriously marking up cars hoping some sucker will pay full price. If they tell you to get lost, give them your phone number and tell them the offer still stands if they change their mind.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:00 PM

You really think you will be able to neg the price down to something reasonable? I'd rather ice skate uphill for a few miles

And since the car wasn't available both times you wanted to look at it, don't you get the feeling that the dealer KNOWS you won't buy it? ie... just wants to avoid the hassle of letting you flog the thing for nothing?
yeah i thought he might be a negotiable person. i don't pass judgement on people just because they sell used cars.

no, i don't get the feeling the the dealer "KNOWS" anything at all. i've given him no reason to suspect that i didn't want to buy the car because i did want the car. the reason the car wasn't available both times is because the car was not at the dealership. i have nothing to do with the fact that the car wasn't there. like i said, i suspect that it's in use by someone while it's for sale. that's something a private party does, maybe he should ask a private party price then.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
The blue book (retail) on a 84k mile 93 SE 5-speed with leather and moonroof is over $5k, so the monkeys at the car lot have it priced according to the book. That doesn't mean I would pay that much for it, but it is within blue book range. It is pretty difficult to find a 12 year-old car with under 100k miles on it, too. If the car is in great shape, I would say $3500-$4000 is not unreasonable.

That being said, if you ever get a chance to see it/drive it in person, it wouldn't hurt to offer say $3000 or $3500 if the car is in really good shape. If they took the car on a trade, the trade in on the car is like $2k, so they are still making money. On most of those "screw you" lots, they are seriously marking up cars hoping some sucker will pay full price. If they tell you to get lost, give them your phone number and tell them the offer still stands if they change their mind.
well the retail vaule is supposed to be a starting point for negotiations. i offered $3200 and he said "not even close". told him i bought my 91 with 87k on it for $2800 and he didn't really say anything. i should take your advice and give him my number because i agree that it's a rare find and would be nice to have. btw: the red is still nice, i wouldn't mind it too much. but black charcoal or green would be ideal. 84k is a nice trade up for the color though.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

You offered $3200 and you didn't even drive it?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is a rare find, however they want way too much for it. For their asking price it had better be turboed, have leather interior, and a nice set of rims.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:33 PM

You would pay $6k for a turbo VE of unknown origin and history?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by nismosleeper
It is a rare find, however they want way too much for it. For their asking price it had better be turboed, have leather interior, and a nice set of rims.
The price isn't that outrageous, when you consider it's a dealership. I am not saying it would be a good deal (since you can find similar deals private party for a lot less), but dealerships usually start out pretty close to retail unless they get desperate.

They likely don't even know that it's rare to find a 5-speed and they would charge even more if it were an AT.

I agree with Pervis, that I wouldn't buy a turbo VE unless I was very confident in the person I was buying it from.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:25 AM

You offered $3200 and you didn't even drive it?
i don't know why you constantly feel the need to nitpick, but yeah, i said "if it were the ideal car for me would you take 3k?" his response "not even close" i then said $3,200 and again "not even close". but of course i would have test driven it. this was all after he was rude and really didn't want to deal with the wandering eyed freak anymore, so i went back in the shop just to see what he would say to the offer.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Way out West

where was this place at?

82nd?

122nd?

Canyon Road?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:14 AM

hehehehhehehe why?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

I digress. But very best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:22 PM

chris, actually i wouldn't mind if you picked it up unless they sold it for around what i offered:P it's a place on about se 6th and salmon. you give me a good idea. i should get some people to call and offer under $3200 for it and then pay him another visit a couple days later..
Old 08-30-2005, 12:29 PM

i bought my 93 maxima black with 100,000 miles on it from a dealership for 3500, 4000 with tax and tags. I though it was expensive
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Way out West

I am not selling/trading my car for an unmodded one, hehe

Isn't that down by Ladd's Addition? I was in that area not long ago, checking the big Goodwill (6th and Harrison, I think) for crap to sell on ebay.

Where was the listing at? Send me a PM and I might call them and see what's up with the car. You might be able to get it cheaper than you think

Originally Posted by GREGB287
i bought my 93 maxima black with 100,000 miles on it from a dealership for 3500, 4000 with tax and tags. I though it was expensive
You live on the East Coast, though. Out here, there are quite a few unmolested (see: rust free) VEs around if you are patient. Title transfer, registration and all that only come to $100 here, unless you get custom plates.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM

yea mines rust free. Car runs good. I am happy.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:18 PM

I bought my (former) Aztec Red 93 SE 5-sp three and a half years ago from a DEALERSHIP for $4500. It had 98k. So what you are telling me is either 1) that car did not depreciate much or 2) it is way overpriced.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 PM

I think this is the car.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...77&car_year=19
Old 08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

I went ahead and emailed the guy and offered an even $6000
Old 08-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by RamJetMax
I bought my (former) Aztec Red 93 SE 5-sp three and a half years ago from a DEALERSHIP for $4500. It had 98k. So what you are telling me is either 1) that car did not depreciate much or 2) it is way overpriced.
According to KBB, a 93 SE 5-speed with leather, 5-speed, moonroof retails for just over $5k. However, the trade-in value on the same car is just over $2k. There is a pretty wide margin on them. $5k isn't outrageous, but it's more than most people here would want to spend.

I don't know what the KBB was on your car at the time, but you probably got it at the low end of what a dealer would sell it for. The car Hectic is looking at should be able to go for around $3500, once the dealership has it on the lot a while, unless someone really wants it bad.

Once a car gets to around $2k-$3k, it is just about done depreciating, unless it is totally trashed.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got a 5th gen 2000 Maxima for $7,000 with 95k miles on it. The asking price here is very unreasonable. Like someone said offer him 3,500-4,000 and give him your number.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:41 PM

yeah that's the one. enjoy your car jeff but seriously, for that money i could get a nice s14. not that i like them better, but at least the TRUE market value is around there, instead of way below.

you're right chris, i printed out the kbb reports the second time i went there and pointed out the difference between the retail value and the trade in value to him. he said "i paid a lot more than that for it" which could be true or false, either way, i still feel that he shouldn't expect to let it go for anything besides halfway between those values, which of course is about what the private party value is. but of course, he's not a private party, he's an owner of an arrogent used car shop. tell us what his response is jeff..
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually I only realized it was a VE today. $6000 is a bit much. $5000 if it's so cherry it's ridiculous. $4000 if it's very,very nice. $3500 sounds about right I guess
Old 08-30-2005, 10:06 PM

you can buy mine for $4000
Old 08-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Hectic
yeah that's the one. enjoy your car jeff but seriously, for that money i could get a nice s14. not that i like them better, but at least the TRUE market value is around there, instead of way below.

you're right chris, i printed out the kbb reports the second time i went there and pointed out the difference between the retail value and the trade in value to him. he said "i paid a lot more than that for it" which could be true or false, either way, i still feel that he shouldn't expect to let it go for anything besides halfway between those values, which of course is about what the private party value is. but of course, he's not a private party, he's an owner of an arrogent used car shop. tell us what his response is jeff..
I am sure the guy was full of crap. Dealers rarely pay more than trade in value for a car. If they do, they jack up the price of the one they are selling, so either way they are making money. Besides, he probably got it at an auction for $1k. Most of those rip-off lots get their cars through auctions. I looked at the website and they don't have **** for cars. There is no way he is selling that thing for anywhere near $6k unless someone trades in something he likes better for it.

I will call him tomorrow at lunch just for fun.