3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Lost all pressure in my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lost all pressure in my clutch

Hey Everyone I need major help. I've had my car for almost 2 years and it seems like everything is going wrong recently. Today I was driving and I started a little rough in 1st gear and then my clutch started catching lower and lower. Then when I drove home from school....it was almost to the ground and then down the street from my house it wouldn't go into neutral by pushing on the clutch....lost pressure and when I would press the clutch down it stayed down and I would have to pull it up with my foot. What the heck is going on? Thanks

Maxeema
Old 09-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Check your master and slave cylinders along with the line for leaks
Old 09-06-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Check your master and slave cylinders along with the line for leaks
Yeah second that.....my friend had the same problem with his 240, turned out to be a master cylinder problem if I remember right.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

and i shall third it. ran into the same thing on a tacoma. turned out to be the slave cylinder. i topped off the clutch fluid, pumped (and pulled) on it for a good spell and had enough pressure to drive it home for a fix (barely).
Old 09-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by falseicon
and i shall third it. ran into the same thing on a tacoma. turned out to be the slave cylinder. i topped off the clutch fluid, pumped (and pulled) on it for a good spell and had enough pressure to drive it home for a fix (barely).
I did the same thing on my first Maxima and bought some fluid at a Wal-Mart, then limped it to a place called "Clutch Doctor," since I was pretty far from home.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 AM

What kind of fluid do you use for it? Is the slave cylinder right next to the brake master cylinder? A little lower and to the right of the brake booster near the firewall? I read somewhere here that it might even leak through the firewall but I couldn't find any leaks. And also where is the master cylinder if in fact that part that I am talking about is the slave cylinder. Thanks again guys
Old 09-07-2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by maxeema
What kind of fluid do you use for it? Is the slave cylinder right next to the brake master cylinder? A little lower and to the right of the brake booster near the firewall? I read somewhere here that it might even leak through the firewall but I couldn't find any leaks. And also where is the master cylinder if in fact that part that I am talking about is the slave cylinder. Thanks again guys
Brake fluid to brakes. Brake fluid to clutch. But. No CoolAnt for Ants; still its polar bear delicacy juice...

U pedal activates a pump [master cyl] to pressurize fluid. That pressurized fluid is used to work u clutch assembly, done via work cylinder. Clutch assy is between engine&gearbox...

Check Favorite Links for some info. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1
Or login to autozone.com for a online manual to figure out how it goes...
Old 09-07-2005, 06:08 AM
mod or sell?

the clutch master cylinder is the part you are looking at.
follow the hose that comes out of it and you'll find the slave cylinder at the other end
Old 09-11-2005, 03:03 PM

Hey guys,
I still have the problem. I filled the clutch master cylinder with brake fluid and it was really low but that didn't fix the problem. Then I tried to follow the pipe coming out of it to the slave cylinder but came to like a little box next to the transmission and didn't know if that was it or not. There was no where to fill it up with fluid. Do I have to bleed the system and if so how? The pedal still goes down completely to the floor. HELP!!! Thanks everyone!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:26 AM

Hey Guys,
I replaced the Clutch Slave Cylinder but then a week after doing that I had the same problem. I looked at the slave cylinder and it looks like there is fluid leaking from the bolt that is on the top of the slave cylinder. Do I need to change the bolt or could it be the line going to the slave cylinder? any feedback?? Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 12:48 AM

smbdy has over/not tightened smtg -and/or- broken threads again = same prbl

tighten/loosen/replace/tighten until no leak

try login www.autozone.com for online haynesmanualcrap...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:29 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxeema
Hey Guys,
I replaced the Clutch Slave Cylinder but then a week after doing that I had the same problem. I looked at the slave cylinder and it looks like there is fluid leaking from the bolt that is on the top of the slave cylinder. Do I need to change the bolt or could it be the line going to the slave cylinder? any feedback?? Thanks

That bolt is the bleeder valve.....It might be loose....
Old 09-21-2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I did the same thing on my first Maxima and bought some fluid at a Wal-Mart, then limped it to a place called "Clutch Doctor," since I was pretty far from home.
the one on mlk and hancock?

edit: wait..no walmart around there. now if you limped there from popeyes...