3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

please help me get my max back on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:17 PM

please help me get my max back on the road.

hows it goin everyone. I've been having some serious problems with my max, and it has been dead in the water for about a month now, from what I bellieved to be a dead starter. Bear with me and I'll explain the circumstances.
For quite a while, My car was having a very difficult time turning over, and it absolutely would not start if I didn't give a push on the accelerator, which was definately a sign of bad things. However, it then got to the point where I would attempt to start it, and it would give me the impression that the battery was dead, kind of chugging until it simply decided it wasnt gonna kick over. It then progressed to me having to let the car sit for about 45 minutes to an hour, and then I could come back and start it, but it would severely hesitate before turning over. I had to get a jump a couple of times, and that seemed to fix the problem, however about a month ago it simply died. I attempted to turn the car over in a parking lot, it made some very electrical sounding clicking sounds, and was absolutely toast. I couldn't come back and start it, nor get a jump. Now it may sound like its a dead battery, but in fact, my battery is only half a year old. Something however it draining the power from my car, because it has just been sitting unused, and after about a week, i no longer had door lights, dome lights, or anything, it is truly a mystery. I was really under the impression that my starter was what went out, however, what the hell is going on with me losing power to all my accesories?

I've had other electrical issues as well, I'm the same person that has to remove my lower right fuse from the fuse block in order to even START the car, which is something that I have been unable to resolve.

I'm really at a loss for what to do guys, I honestly am making just enough money to pay my rent and living expenses, so having a shop look my car over isn't an option, so if you can give some diagnose and lead me in the right direction, I would be really grateful. I do have a nestegg that I can buy parts, but I really can't be doing trial and error and spending 600 bucks or something and still not getting my car back on the road.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Alex_V

You have many wiring issues. This is making your car hard to start, and then while leaving the batt connected to the ele system and not usuing it every day, its being drained so you cant start the car. When you turn off the car, the wiring is drawing too much power so it drains the battery. And there goes your door lights and such.

Other then that does the car start and run ok? Because there may be other issues as well. you might as well list nearly every issue you have as it seems you have a lot, and possibly going throught your whole car looking for shorts and cuts would be worth it. hard but it seems your only option since you dont want to give up your max.

you might want to replace a bunch of the relays related to starting or at least check them, and check how many mili-amps or amps your car is drawing with the key off, it should be about 300miliamps or .3 amps (same measurement) any way check that out and report back.

~Alex

Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 PM

Well, I can list the other issues, but I just didn't wanna complicate matters and make myself look anymore desperate than I already do for help.
#1-a short while before my car died, my instrument cluster would kinda flicker before actually turning on, and about a week before the car died, it completely stopped working, which is something that i don't know where to start because it was a very random occurance.
#2-I only have one headlight working, and it only works if I have my high beams on, with low beams on neither work. I figured this was the headlight switch, but I have been working full days and not using my car in the night whatsoever, it wasn't that important for me to fix, however now im starting to think its something other than the switch in light of all these new probs.
#3- My car stereo cuts out if I turn it up to loud(as in, the stereo literall turns off then immediately comes back on, kinda like amplifiers can do sometimes.) and when I say "too loud" im not talking loud at all. All the stereo wiring is fine, and my car isn't amped up or anything, it just seems like it can't handle the load from the sound output or somethin.
#4- My car doesn't shift out of park unless it warms up for a while. If I remember correctly, there is a bushing that goes out in the autos sometimes on our car, so Im guessing thats what this is.
#5- I had a damn COLONY of mice living in my car last winter. to be more specific, I opened my trunk one day, and saw 7-8 baby mice feeding off of their mother. Also, when replacing my steering rack, I had a mouse fall onto my chest, and i spotted a couple more in the engine. There was also about a pound of dog food stored up in my intake box, so they seemed to have made some damn good living arrangements in my car. I am freting that they may have done some serious damage to my wiring system, but would it be enough to attribute to the problems that I have listed?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maybe an alternator ?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A general rule of thumb that I go by is, that if there are animals living and reproducing in a car, then it is most likely not a good thing. If you are broke like you say, then you really have no other option, so look at all of the fuses and relays, then use a multimeter or some device to detect drain, and find out where it is coming from and go from there; it is not your starter IMO, although you might want to get your alt checked out for free at some place like oreillys. Good luck
Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 AM

First U need a mouse trap. (civic?)

Want really get rid of bad start? If gas pedal helps --->TPS
click on: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/6

Pwr problems, clic on http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/5

And So On
Old 09-15-2005, 04:22 AM

nasty

that is straight trifilin if you have mice living in your ride. How poor are you. If you that poor sell your car and use a BMW (bus metro walking)
Old 09-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That electrical problem sounds like a short or grounding issue. I had a vehicle that was not properly grounded and charged / replaced batteries and an alternator before finding the problem. It could be that simple depening on where it is, but until that is fixed, I don't know that you can troubleshoot the head lights and stereo issue.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Alex_V

Im surprised wiking didnt bring it up but check the bolts that hold on the alt, as they may corrode and screw stuff up too. But you need to check every wire you can, as those mice may have chewed up a good amout of them and I bet theres shorts every where that just got wose with driving due to bumps and etc.

If you really want to keep your max, Im going to have the dash of my parts car apart so I suppose I could get the wiring harness, or pics of a good one. PM me if interested. I also have a bunch of relay and fuses and all that stuff so if you want to try any thing lmk

You might consider getting a sentra, as they are small cheap and easy on gas, and would be super cheap to insure. Then either fix, part out or sell the max. Its a tough option to do but I had to part out my first car/max and that sucked but it was the best thing for me too do.

~Alex

Old 09-15-2005, 04:13 PM
mod or sell?

1. put a rag soaked in ammonia under your hood.
2. disable the factory anti-theft system (just undo the connector)
3. start looking for chewed up wires.
4. ???
5. Profit
Old 09-15-2005, 04:59 PM
I miss my VE

You should also consider that taking it to a shop that specializes in electrical issues such as the ones you listed may not be as expensive as you may think. Maybe it might be just one thing thats causing all of this. As you can see, it's kinda hard to help you diagnose over the internet. Maybe have a shop diagnose it for you, to just point you in the right direction. Then you do the repairs. Might save you alot of time and trouble as well. I still put my money on the rodents.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:40 PM

blow up the car and start a new.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by GREGB287
that is straight trifilin if you have mice living in your ride. How poor are you. If you that poor sell your car and use a BMW (bus metro walking)
Cutty say 'e can't HANG! ...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
blow up the car and start a new.
'S'**** butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

This thread has gone to heII...... Focus children...
Old 09-15-2005, 10:19 PM
I miss my VE

It's the mice.. They are making everyone go nutz.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Alex_V

naw its the amonia rag!

~Alex

Old 09-17-2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
naw its the amonia rag!

~Alex
I likes pigs feet!.....Hey, you know what they say... See a broad, to get that booty yak 'em.

Leg 'er down 'n smack 'em yak 'em