3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i want to change my auto trans fluid but wheres the filter????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 07:19 PM

i want to change my auto trans fluid but wheres the filter????

i want to change my trans oil but i see no pan or filter?? and ne other steps i need to care when changeing it cuz im doin this my self thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by red-line-racer
i want to change my trans oil but i see no pan or filter?? and ne other steps i need to care when changeing it cuz im doin this my self thanks

The pan is on the top of the trans....It doesn't have a filter....it has a screen...It is very inaccessable though....A good fluid change will be ok...
Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 PM

and do i need to replace the screen or what?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

and do i need to replace the screen or what?

I don't think it is accessable without taking the tranny apart...
Old 09-27-2005, 07:43 PM

so do i just change the transmission fluid thats it right???..or anything else!?!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:46 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

so do i just change the transmission fluid thats it right???..or anything else!?!

Yup....... thats all.....
Old 09-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would recommend just draining the fluid and replacing it. Do not flush! I have heard many accounts of A/T's crapping out shortly after a flush.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
I would recommend just draining the fluid and replacing it. Do not flush! I have heard many accounts of A/T's crapping out shortly after a flush.
If it craps out after a flush it was only a matter of time before it would anyway. If you are going to change ALL the fluid in the ATX it must be flushed. Remeber half (if not more) of it is in the TC. If your not going to get it flushed, drain the fluid fill the fluid, drive car for awhile, repeat this (4 or 5 times) till fluid looks like the new.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:58 PM

...and ne other steps i need to care when changeing it cuz im doin this my self ...
VG A/T oil change; nicer to have 2ppl
...see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/15

The almost 8 quart tranny oil may be changed in four steps, A B C D. Each step means taking out 2 quarts of used oil, inserting equal amount (2 quarts) new oil.

- Take out splash cover below engine, drivers side. Find canister big enough, Minimum 3 quarts. Find large hose, 1-3 feet to be fitted into tranny cooler outlet, canister.

A. Drain the tranny, one drain plug, drivers side. Little over 2 quarts flows out. That is about 1/4 of all u oil. Plug it. Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube...
Now u 'oil reservoir' is full new oil, but "the system" with 6 quarts contains still the used shmuck.

B. Open drivers side tranny cooler hose, radiator bottom. Find, install extra hose to rad, other end to a large enough container. Start engine, run about 15 sec while playing through gears ---> 2 quarts of OLD oil is pushed out by the incoming new oil. Don’t idle after the oil flow stops! Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube...

Halfway House: 4 quarts oil has been taken out, 4 quarts of new oil has been inserted.

C. Start engine, run again about 15 sec while playing through all gears ---> again 2 quarts of OLD oil will be pushed to u container. Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube.

D. Start engine, run about 15 sec while playing through gears and the last 2 quarts of old oil be pushed out... now new red oil will be seen flowing out. Your old oil has been pushed out, Tranny System has been filled with new. Add the last missing 2 quarts of new oil via measurement stick tube...

- Re-insert the cooler tube, tighten.
- Let idle for 5 minutes.
- Measure oil level. Add/Take out as necessary.
- Clean the mess, go to shower.
- Compare to FSM 'guide'. Go for a ride. Awesome!

Update NOTE!!! The .org fluid section writeup for 2quarts is no good for VG30E tranny RE4F02A. The qty should between 1 - 1,75quarts/Liters. See Updated Writeup: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/24
Old 09-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Wiking
blah blah blah

One thing to add that helps is to have 2 empty, clean, dry gallon milk / water jugs handy. Use one to measure how much tranny fluid you have removed, and the other to add the corresponding amount back in. The dipstick requires the car to be running, so this method is an easy way to ensure you haven't over- or underfilled the tranny.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
VG A/T oil change; nicer to have 2ppl
...see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/15

The almost 8 quart tranny oil may be changed in four steps, A B C D. Each step means taking out 2 quarts of used oil, inserting equal amount (2 quarts) new oil.

- Take out splash cover below engine, drivers side. Find canister big enough, Minimum 3 quarts. Find large hose, 1-3 feet to be fitted into tranny cooler outlet, canister.

A. Drain the tranny, one drain plug, drivers side. Little over 2 quarts flows out. That is about 1/4 of all u oil. Plug it. Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube...
Now u 'oil reservoir' is full new oil, but "the system" with 6 quarts contains still the used shmuck.

B. Open drivers side tranny cooler hose, radiator bottom. Find, install extra hose to rad, other end to a large enough container. Start engine, run about 15 sec while playing through gears ---> 2 quarts of OLD oil is pushed out by the incoming new oil. Don’t idle after the oil flow stops! Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube...

Halfway House: 4 quarts oil has been taken out, 4 quarts of new oil has been inserted.

C. Start engine, run again about 15 sec while playing through all gears ---> again 2 quarts of OLD oil will be pushed to u container. Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube.

D. Start engine, run about 15 sec while playing through gears and the last 2 quarts of old oil be pushed out... now new red oil will be seen flowing out. Your old oil has been pushed out, Tranny System has been filled with new. Add the last missing 2 quarts of new oil via measurement stick tube...

- Re-insert the cooler tube, tighten.
- Let idle for 5 minutes.
- Measure oil level. Add/Take out as necessary.
- Clean the mess, go to shower.
- Compare to FSM 'guide'. Go for a ride. Awesome!

Reputable shop- ATX flush 80-100$
Your time to do the same - 2- 3 hrs + materials.
My time > than 20 an hour, especially if the shop can do a better job than drain and fill.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:36 PM

if the fluid has never ben changed, leave it........do not drain and put new stuff in, it will most likely screw it up..... trust me, it just happened to me
Old 10-04-2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
... trust me, it just happened to me
Pls explain. After ATF change?? (have u got airbubbles in u new fluid?)

"An overfilled transmission may blow fluid out the dipstick tube or the transmission vent. When the level is high enough to get whipped up by the geartrain assembly in the trans, air bubbles develop and upset the hydraulic pressures that are trying to keep the clutches and bands from slipping."
...clip from http://www.drwtransmission.com/info.htm

Best ? advice to keep car in tact: Dont ever start the engine, then the oilpump cannot suck the soot thats piling on the never serviced ATbox bottom.

Idee: How about oil changes along ATF manufacturer guidelines, all new every 30k? Noo soot buildown..
Old 10-05-2005, 05:08 PM

but if the fluid was never changed i heard it would be better to just keep the old stuff in since the seals are "adapted" to the gooky old fluid...i heard that if you put new fluid in there, the seals mess up and tranny starts to slip sooner or later.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:14 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

but if the fluid was never changed i heard it would be better to just keep the old stuff in since the seals are "adapted" to the gooky old fluid...i heard that if you put new fluid in there, the seals mess up and tranny starts to slip sooner or later.

Dude you what messed up your tranny....YOU...These transmissions were not designed to be floored at every greenlight and then redlined though every gear.....Especially one with 130,000 miles on it...Quit blaming it on the fluid change,It's always a good idea to change your fluids.....
Old 10-05-2005, 06:52 PM

i know that is why the tranny broke. what i meant was that i have heard that if you have old fluids in there that are 130,000 miles old, you will probably mess up your seals in your tranny. the seals get "adapted" to the old fluid that is what causes slipping i think. i know why my tranny broke, but right after i changed my fluid the dam thing started slipping...it was only like 4 days after...yes it could be a coincidence, but call a reliable tranny place and ask them. i called about 10 places and 8 of them told me i shouldnt have changed my fluids because of that problem
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 PM

i know that ... mess up your seals in...8 of them told me i shouldnt have changed my fluids because of that problem
What problem? Did yout tranny start leaking as 10 gurus suggested.

Seals:
- Seals keep oil in, 'nothin' to do with function.
- Surely old vaseline will not leak out - even if seals are worn beyond repair.
- Some AT fluids contain seal swelling components which are added to cause them to tighten around axles; ALSO from this viewpoint new oil is better with worn seals

Dino oil mfg's give 2-30k warranty for their oils. Now compare that to 130...

One reason for the tranny slip after change (did u or didnt you change??) is the possibly in sucked air: micro bubbles surface and then sit in the valves. It may take long time for enough microbubbles to gather into a spot where their volume starts to compromise valve function. Bubbles (hydrolocks) in any complicated fluid system may become pain to get out (A/T channel & valvesystem IS very much complex).
If bubbles in...
No hydraulics work if air in: keep engine idling 1/2 hour with 2nd gear on, 1st on, then at different angles. Bubbles are 'released' by steadily pumped warm oil; getting hydrolocks out might be pain. Engine idling oil is heated, steady flow should ease the air problem.

Another fear is the dirt which may start floatin, but that may happen anytime in a never serviced dirty tranny: properly done oil change has no difference in std flow.