3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I'm going to kill myself....FILESIZE WARNING.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:04 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I would not want him to have stress related response after arriving at a traumatic situation. ie.. one that might require a firearm.

Let's take your hit and run situation. Yes many people freak out and run and do odd things. But how many of these are in the law enforcement / medical emergency field?
My take on this discussion is that he is not READY to be a cop. Now granted I don't want him to be a cop, he has more potential intelluctually than that, and no disrespect to police officer's nor a cheap shot at their intellect, but he's capable of of being more worthwhile to society and making a success of himself in other endeavors I believe.

But back to my point, I fully believe if he were trained as a cop, there would be no question of his reaction. The simple fact of the matter is he is not. In Iraq, there is no question he was dedicated, diligent and on top of things but he was trained for that. You put on DCU's, strap a gun on your shoulder and face the enemy, and he becomes the soldier, he is trained for that. Believe me, I heard the recount of the day he was in the tower and a car approached, just as a description fitting that car was radioed to be on the lookout for. I heard it in his voice as he recalled he said to himself, talking of the ONE point the car would be stopped by another soldier on the ground before he got to the gate, and he said "stop the car or someone dies today". Those were his orders. After I hung up the phone, I thought much of that decision in a then 20 year old hands...in 120 degree heat, 80 pounds of body armor, sitting in a tower with his gun ready and having to make the decision that is life or death to someone in the vehicle, or the lives and deaths of his fellow soldiers at the FOB. There would be no choice is pressed, and there would be no panick.

I do understand what you all are saying, but they don't throw soldiers just out of Iraq right into the police force without training. They don't throw anybody without training into the police force armed with a gun.

I also think the reaction after one is trained in approaching a stressful situation is much different than doing a whirly bird on the road, taking out mailboxes, seeing trees fly by and then in and out of a 4-5 foot ditch. Would a stuntman trained for that, have the same reaction as you or I?

I'm not saying my son doesn't have PTSD or any of the other handful of soldiers who were with him that are having other issues, but I think it's simply more of a case of trying to settle back into our "normal world" after a very long, stressful year of having a target on your forehead 24/7.

I think he made the wrong decision, early one morning after being up all night and hopefully with insight given here, and upon reflection, it will be a lesson.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

IMHO:

1) A trained stuntman is smart enough not to get himself into that situation
2) You or I: After determining that the damage was only murdered mailboxes, I'd take myself and my pride and apologize to the owners of said mailboxes.

Originally Posted by ustfdes
I also think the reaction after one is trained in approaching a stressful situation is much different than doing a whirly bird on the road, taking out mailboxes, seeing trees fly by and then in and out of a 4-5 foot ditch. Would a stuntman trained for that, have the same reaction as you or I?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:11 PM

Sorry, I'm at home and it's signed into J's account...that was me...mom, on my previous reply. :-)
Old 02-08-2006, 03:50 PM

IMHO:

1) A trained stuntman is smart enough not to get himself into that situation
2) You or I: After determining that the damage was only murdered mailboxes, I'd take myself and my pride and apologize to the owners of said mailboxes.
Ok, remembered to sign in as me.

1. The scenario was if a trained stuntman got himself into that position. Knowing he's going into it on purpose, of course, he'd be on top of things, but if it was not intentional, training would still come into play.

2. Agreed. And maybe next time he will do the same. I know "without a doubt", he had no intention of trying to get away without admitting or paying for the damages. I know this, no matter how immature he may sound at times. He may, in his mind, try to rationalize the incident as something other than it was, but he's fully aware of the responsibility of paying for something he damages.

Personally I think he was more "freaked" because of his obsession with the car itself. He had just wrecked his "baby" that he has lots of money wrapped up in.

I'm hoping with years past he'll look back on this discussion and say "boy, how cocky was I back then, I thought I knew everything!". That's life I think. I had a little adventure several months back. Doing the speed limit, dry road, little (and I mean slight) curve, and going into it, I thought "I'm not going to make it". My daughter says she saw something in the road, but I have no recollection of anything other than suddenly knowing it wasn't a good situation. Went off the road to the right side, in the gravel, finally got it back up with a bounce to the middle of the road and a large thrust then to the left, and then back to the right as the car came back down and settled, we wobbled a little, then it all straightened out. I knew instinctly, as I realized I was in trouble, that downshifting wouldn't help, braking wouldn't help, it was all in the steering. That's instinct from experience. I was doing 50, the speed limit, had probably slowed a tad by letting off the gas and knew the car could handle the curve probably at 65 even. Speed wasn't my enemy, over-reaction was. I don't think at 20, I would have handled it the same way.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by OWhatAThrill
2. Agreed. And maybe next time he will do the same. I know "without a doubt", he had no intention of trying to get away without admitting or paying for the damages. I know this, no matter how immature he may sound at times. He may, in his mind, try to rationalize the incident as something other than it was, but he's fully aware of the responsibility of paying for something he damages.

I don't doubt his intentions and I don't think he meant any ill will. BUT when you have a weapon in hand and if he makes the wrong decision under stress, there is no "next time" for the person at the other end of the gun.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:10 PM

I don't doubt his intentions and I don't think he meant any ill will. BUT when you have a weapon in hand and if he makes the wrong decision under stress, there is no "next time" for the person at the other end of the gun.
And still not defending that someone with PTSD be a policeman, but there is a difference between making a bad decision and driving off after an accident that damaged mailboxes and making a bad decision when you have a loaded gun pointing at someone. I do understand with the principal, absolutely, and agree wholeheartedly and you guys were keen in picking that up and pointing that out. I know my child, I don't think he's ready to be a cop, he won't like hearing me say that, but that decision isn't based solely on this incident. In a couple years, maybe, but I'm hoping he's found another profession by that time that he's happy with.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:11 PM
mod or sell?

and this thread has what to do with 89-94 maximas?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

The common thing is the PTSD. No one can say what he will do under that particular situation. BUT he is blaming his bad decision to PTSD. Now as a policeman, he IS predesposed to a bad decision(what that decision might be is anyone's guess). But most likely it might come under a stressful situation. Stressfull situations can involve his sidearm.

I'm not saying he won't become a fine officer of the law. But not until he gets it under control. Because crashing a car into some mailboxes is about 10x less stressful than deciding to pull out one's sidearm.

Originally Posted by OWhatAThrill
And still not defending that someone with PTSD be a policeman, but there is a difference between making a bad decision and driving off after an accident that damaged mailboxes and making a bad decision when you have a loaded gun pointing at someone. I do understand with the principal, absolutely, and agree wholeheartedly and you guys were keen in picking that up and pointing that out. I know my child, I don't think he's ready to be a cop, he won't like hearing me say that, but that decision isn't based solely on this incident. In a couple years, maybe, but I'm hoping he's found another profession by that time that he's happy with.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
and this thread has what to do with 89-94 maximas?
On the subject of uptight...

It's about 89-94 maxima's and what NOT to do after you run off both sides of the road, take out mailboxes, go in and out of a ditch and come up on four wheels and still driving.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:35 PM
what can my max do for me

The common thing is the PTSD. No one can say what he will do under that particular situation. BUT he is blaming his bad decision to PTSD. Now as a policeman, he IS predesposed to a bad decision(what that decision might be is anyone's guess). But most likely it might come under a stressful situation. Stressfull situations can involve his sidearm.

I'm not saying he won't become a fine officer of the law. But not until he gets it under control. Because crashing a car into some mailboxes is about 10x less stressful than deciding to pull out one's sidearm.

i really hope u people go to ur local library and pull out the DSM-IV-TR to look up ptsd. it does not predispose anyone to anything. not in any sense of the term. it refers to one's reaction to a specific event - PERIOD. his decison making skills and ability to handle other stressful situations are as they were prior to whatever event. the idea that ptsd had anything to do with his leaving the scene is perposterous. is the disease grossly abused in diagnosis - absolutely. please stop taking psych lessons from csi or law & order re-runs. sweet lord.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:53 PM

Alright, I'm home from work now, and can defend myself now, thanks (kidding)

ANYWAYS, I'm not saying that PTSD IS the case here, or that it CAUSED anything....I'm just saying that MAYBE due to my being gone from home, for 2 years total, caused my decision AFTER the wreck, to be different than it would have had i never left. I never meant to imply that any of this was caused by PTSD or that it is to blame. I have been diagnosed with a slight case, and im sure it affects everyday decisions on my part.

Remember, i had been in fort knox, ky for 6 months (NO driving whatsoever.), home for 1 1/2 months, then to camp shelby, ms for 3 months (NO driving whatsoever), then Iraq and Kuwait for 13 months, (VERY little driving, and HMMWV's AND Tanks then.).....therefore my judgment in driving was a little different there....

NOW.....on another subject. i am officially trained with stress, and firearms. There had been many situations in Iraq i was faced with, such as the one my mom mentioned. i got a call on the radio telling me to BOLO (be on look out) for 2 cars, a black sedan and a red opel station wagon (both being possible VBIEDS (vehicle borne IED's)........ and less than a minute after the call. there was a red station wagon coming to our gates.. I promptly told the guys below about the call, and said "STOP THAT VEHICLE OR SOMEONE DIES TODAY" and by that point already had my .50 cal machine gun trained on their engine compartment. they saw me aiming, they stopped, we sent a team to inspect, and they checked out ok. wasn't the vehicle. MY POINT IS, that there was no panic, no confusion, only the thoughts of the safety of myself and my men. I responded accordingly, without panic, and the situation was solved. HAD I PANICKED, there would be only a shell of a car, and me sitting in a cell awaiting trial.

Since i have been home, i have been in a number of various 'possibly' dangerous scenarios. I took a wrong turn and ended up in the projects with 3 big thugs in front of my lowered, 'pimped out', car with a banging system. (typical ghetto car ) and that was nerve-wracking. all i did, was quickly remove myself from the situation, while keeping and eye on the 3 men. nothing happened, we got where we were going, the end.

theres been times ive been in gas stations when someone came in wearing big clothes with hands in their coats. that makes me nervous now, as it wouldnt have before i left. these times, i just maintain a watchful eye on the person, determine their intent, and have plans of action, ready to be put into action if a situation arises....

saying all this, i'm not saying i'm ready to be a cop, or being cocky saying i can handle any situation. what about the cop that tasered granny? or the cop that shot the air force guy in CA for standing up AFTER HE WAS TOLD TO. to my knowledge, these weren't veterans, or anything, just your average cop. and THEY freaked.

**** can happen to anyone, and i do believe that in all of the aformentioned situations, i would be able to handle the stress.....as my mother stated, very nicely might i add, after the wreck, i was shocked about the damage to my car, and just wanted it to be over, big deal, i didnt shoot anyone in panic, i didnt injure anyone, and i wasn't running.

i'm gonna shut up now because i think im just blabbering many points i have to argue. but, thank everyone for placing their judgment on me, and trying to determine whether or not "I" am ready to be whatever it is i want to be. you do not know me, you do not know what i am capable of handling, you do not know anything about my abilities to cope. state your opinions, give me your criticism, but do NOT judge me based on the impressions i give you in this forum. that is my request....sorry if i came off wrong at any time, i dont mean to offend or upset anyone. i really don't, but i dont like to be judged by people that dont really know much about my history or myself.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 PM

Speaking of the DSM-IV-TR that DaWifey's90 mentioned, here you go!

Diagnostic criteria for 309.81 Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
(cautionary statement)
A. The person has been exposed to a traumatic event in which both of the following were present:

(1) the person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others
(2) the person's response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror. Note: In children, this may be expressed instead by disorganized or agitated behavior

B. The traumatic event is persistently reexperienced in one (or more) of the following ways:

(1) recurrent and intrusive distressing recollections of the event, including images, thoughts, or perceptions. Note: In young children, repetitive play may occur in which themes or aspects of the trauma are expressed.
(2) recurrent distressing dreams of the event. Note: In children, there may be frightening dreams without recognizable content.
(3) acting or feeling as if the traumatic event were recurring (includes a sense of reliving the experience, illusions, hallucinations, and dissociative flashback episodes, including those that occur on awakening or when intoxicated). Note: In young children, trauma-specific reenactment may occur.
(4) intense psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event
(5) physiological reactivity on exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event

C. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness (not present before the trauma), as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

(1) efforts to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations associated with the trauma
(2) efforts to avoid activities, places, or people that arouse recollections of the trauma
(3) inability to recall an important aspect of the trauma
(4) markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities
(5) feeling of detachment or estrangement from others
(6) restricted range of affect (e.g., unable to have loving feelings)
(7) sense of a foreshortened future (e.g., does not expect to have a career, marriage, children, or a normal life span)

D. Persistent symptoms of increased arousal (not present before the trauma), as indicated by two (or more) of the following:

(1) difficulty falling or staying asleep
(2) irritability or outbursts of anger
(3) difficulty concentrating
(4) hypervigilance
(5) exaggerated startle response

E. Duration of the disturbance (symptoms in Criteria B, C, and D) is more than 1 month.

F. The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 PM

sorry for the long post, etc. etc. etc. but i had to be thorough.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

He is blaming it on PTSD, not I.

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
i really hope u people go to ur local library and pull out the DSM-IV-TR to look up ptsd. it does not predispose anyone to anything. not in any sense of the term. it refers to one's reaction to a specific event - PERIOD. his decison making skills and ability to handle other stressful situations are as they were prior to whatever event. the idea that ptsd had anything to do with his leaving the scene is perposterous. is the disease grossly abused in diagnosis - absolutely. please stop taking psych lessons from csi or law & order re-runs. sweet lord.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
Did you not know that destroying a mailbox is a federal offense?
well someone's been watching dazed and confused
Old 02-08-2006, 08:54 PM

He is blaming it on PTSD, not I.
did you not read my long post jeff? i mentioned that i never meant to blame it on ptsd, just saying that it may have been a factor.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Umm so exactly WHAT are you saying? If you imply it might have been a factor, you are partially blaming PSTD for your actions.

did you not read my long post jeff? i mentioned that i never meant to blame it on ptsd, just saying that it may have been a factor.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:04 PM

Umm so exactly WHAT are you saying? If you imply it might have been a factor, you are partially blaming PSTD for your actions.
i'm not implying anything, and BLAMING means im saying that PTSD IS responsible.....i said it is a possibility that it could have impaired my judgment, since i am not a shrink, i dont know....therefore there is no blame, what happened happened, and again, i didnt blame it on anything.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

So are you saying you left the scene of a crime on your own with nothing to blame but yourself? Then don't mention PTSD at all.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:23 PM

im not saying i just did it, im saying i dont fully know why i did what i did, and that it MAY, POSSIBLY, THERES A SLIGHT CHANCE THAT, it COULD be attributed partly to PTSD, or maybe my shock about the car....what im saying is

I
DONT
KNOW
WHY

and im just trying to find my reasoning. Is anyone else not understanding me, or just jeff?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

How about now since you had time to reflect
Old 02-08-2006, 09:31 PM

how about now what? i still dont know why i did what i did, but i think now that i should have stopped, but dont know why i didnt. its not like im out to break laws or rules, im trying to get my life going, you know?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Answer me this before I unsubscribe, who rated you out The accident happen at 5:30am and you awoke a few hours later with the popo in your face. Appearantely someone got your license plate
Old 02-08-2006, 09:43 PM
LvR

......................... you are 100% correct that we (I) dont know you or your history/motivation/life experiences/thoughts, but reading through every post of yours here in response to simple arguments/observations by others including your mom's makes me hope the judge (I hope to hell it actually gets to that point yes) gets to read the contents of this here thread
its not like im out to break laws or rules, im trying to get my life going, you know?
that after you earlier said
as i've said, ive done faster in this area....only this tiem i happened to be going the AVERAGE speed of most drivers through the area.
I know what the rules are, but because other people doesnt adhere to that then its ok for me too?

they talked to me like i was the young punk i used to be back when i was 13, and acted like i KNEW i did wrong. hell i didnt know.
IMO they should have spoken to you like the 21 year old who is still acting like the 13 year old punk that you still are
Old 02-09-2006, 12:11 AM

....look, no one ratted me out, i drove by the cops on the way back, and its a small town, i know everyone, even the one who arrested me.

LvR....eat it, okay? im tired of this topic, i know i eat my words sometimes, everyone does. Right now I'm fighting with my fiancee, who is 3000 miles away, i see her about a month for every three, so my mindset is very different. I just want to tell you to fck off. but you have some valid points. just dont be such a smarta$$ about it.

the only laws i break knowingly , on the roads, is speeding. and i said i HAVE done faster in this area. hell, i got my max's needle between the P and the H on MPH at the bottom when i was 16......doesnt mean i do it now right?

......nevermind. I know i made the wrong choice that morning. we all make bad decisions at some point in our lives....yeah i made a few hasty comments in this thread, and im eating them now. but right now, im just tired of fighting (mainly with my fiancee, but it carries over onto here.)

so, eat my words with me and
Old 02-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

well, the good part is....i did this, and then i went home, was gonna call the guy around noon and tell him what happened and i was gonna fix the damage. (this happened at 6am.)

BUT anyways, im woken up at 12pm....cop in my face "do you drive a black maxima" "yes" did you hit a mailbox?" "yes..." "you're under arrest on charges of leaving the scene of an accident."

so he cuffed me, stuffed me in his car. and took me to the police station. took my fingerprints, information, and everything. then they booked me...PUT ME IN JAIL. my bail was $1500 and i had to get a bondsman and pay 187 to get out.
I guess I must have miss the part where you stated it's a small town and you drove right pass the popo afterwards. Anyways, I wish you best of luck in your future career path and hope your arrest record doesn't hinder your career goals. Not everyone in this thread is being arguementative towards you, so if you took my question in such a manner, my bad.

Good night.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
......................... you are 100% correct that we (I) dont know you or your history/motivation/life experiences/thoughts, but reading through every post of yours here in response to simple arguments/observations by others including your mom's makes me hope the judge (I hope to hell it actually gets to that point yes) gets to read the contents of this here thread
that after you earlier said I know what the rules are, but because other people doesnt adhere to that then its ok for me too?

.IMO they should have spoken to you like the 21 year old who is still acting like the 13 year old punk that you still are
that's a harsh post man. do you realize this guy was recently fighting your country's war? i don't blame the guy for leaving the scene, what is the homeowner going to do about damaged government property? i should be a lawyer, i'd have this case wrapped up in an hour or 2.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:21 AM

as off topic as this thread went i think it was a very interesting one nonetheless...after everyone has made their judgement calls about ustfdes' character and his maturity or whatever, i hope that maybe someone out there maybe learned a thing or two about the disease. hopefully folks were able to let go of their preconceived notions and take a more educated view.

ustfdes, good luck with everything. perhaps now, after seeing the general public's reaction to this thread, you understand why speaking of one's own mental illness is so taboo and please use more discretion in the future when mentioning. make sure ur audience will be more receptive to it and have some understanding of what it is.

since becoming a father of 2, i have to second ur mom's hope that u do something that exploits a little more of ur intellect. again, not a slight against law enforcement, but if u can have a life where u can be less likely of going home in a body bag i think that would be great.

and of course, thanks for fighting for us. i know u volunteered to join, so it was ur choice to do so, but it doesn't make it any less heroic a thing to do. i know my **** didn't go and i'd be crying like a lil beatch if the draft was ever brought back. i know the majority of the people who ripped on u never saw anything like war either, so take their comments with a grain of salt - if that much.

and i hate to say it but ur mom is right. when i was ur age, i was couldn't believe how myopic my parents were. now that i'm older and have buried one of them, i'm absolutely amazed at how ahead of their time they were.

this public service announcement has been brought to you by the letters
M,
A,
X,
I,
and M & A again
Old 02-09-2006, 05:52 AM

I struck an 11 y/o boy with my 5445lb minivan 6 years ago. I have also been in an accident where I was hit and ran! I was seperated from my identical twin when I was 5 y/o. I too, do not believe always in ptsd. All of those things were VERY traumatic for me.

The 11 y/o boy was/is a neighbor I see often (three splits to the base of his skull). He spent one weeks in pediatric ICU. He is better now although he no longer rides bikes. The only thing I took away from the accident is that I am a little jittery whenever a boy on a bike is coming from the right side of the road "Will he stop?" No PTSD there!

The guy that hit me and took off, he did it because he had no license or insurance and just completed a sentence of one year for possession. He admitted to running for these very reasons. The only thing I took from this one is to be careful of tail-gators. (That and I learned about others being underinsured or not insured at all, so I increased my limits). (I try to steer clear of hoopties).

My identical twin and I were seperated because our parents split, after years of abuse to us. Through God's amazing grace and patience, I am able to raise two healthy, God-Reveering Girls. I think I could use PTSD for my advantage and yet I CHOSE to recognize the impact these events have had on my life and surrender them to Chist before I allow them to control or dictate my actions in the future.

I hope the same for then young man that wrecked. Take control of your future, don't allow some silly medical term to dictate where you excel and where you become stagnant (SP?). There is more to your future than your past! Good Luck and God Speed in your current events.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:27 AM

if u look at post 92, neither event qualifies (based on what u've described) for the diagnosis.

the reason why u don't always believe in ptsd is because people do take advantage of it and over-diagnosis it and because there are millions of armchair shrinks whose training rely almost entirely on network and cable television.

post 92 is the bible definition of the ptsd...
Old 02-09-2006, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I struck an 11 y/o boy with my 5445lb minivan 6 years ago. I have also been in an accident where I was hit and ran! I was seperated from my identical twin when I was 5 y/o. I too, do not believe always in ptsd. All of those things were VERY traumatic for me.

The 11 y/o boy was/is a neighbor I see often (three splits to the base of his skull). He spent one weeks in pediatric ICU. He is better now although he no longer rides bikes. The only thing I took away from the accident is that I am a little jittery whenever a boy on a bike is coming from the right side of the road "Will he stop?" No PTSD there!

The guy that hit me and took off, he did it because he had no license or insurance and just completed a sentence of one year for possession. He admitted to running for these very reasons. The only thing I took from this one is to be careful of tail-gators. (That and I learned about others being underinsured or not insured at all, so I increased my limits). (I try to steer clear of hoopties).

My identical twin and I were seperated because our parents split, after years of abuse to us. Through God's amazing grace and patience, I am able to raise two healthy, God-Reveering Girls. I think I could use PTSD for my advantage and yet I CHOSE to recognize the impact these events have had on my life and surrender them to Chist before I allow them to control or dictate my actions in the future.

I hope the same for then young man that wrecked. Take control of your future, don't allow some silly medical term to dictate where you excel and where you become stagnant (SP?). There is more to your future than your past! Good Luck and God Speed in your current events.
and all this is war...cool. didn't know that.

sorry, had to, been arguing with the fiancee ALL night, havent slept. but your story does suck, im sorry about all that stuff, please dont take offense by any of my statements, i just seem to be in the downside of the year, where the moon is farther away than normal and my luck is gone for the moment.

and i'm not allowing anything to dictate my future, just trying to find reason for my rash decision to leave the scene. nothing more.

on another note, i like law enforcement because HERE in the civilian world, everything is so boring now, after iraq. theres a void in my life....2 years active duty when all you signed up for was national guard (and i dont regret one bit, it was a rather fun experience, lots of good times) but it kinda leaves a void in your life.

So while i can be doing something more intelligent....sitting at a desk behind a computer all day, making big bucks, i would rather be making 40k a year doing law enforcement (aggressive driving unit ) because it seems more exciting and can still raise a family.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:37 AM

if u look at post 94, neither event qualifies (based on what u've described) for the diagnosis.

the reason why u don't always believe in ptsd is because people do take advantage of it and over-diagnosis it and because there are millions of armchair shrinks whose training rely almost entirely on network and cable television.

post 94 is the bible definition of the ptsd...
actually...post #92 is your 'bible' definition....i took it out of the reference you were mentioning!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:43 AM

So while i can be doing something more intelligent....sitting at a desk behind a computer all day, making big bucks, i would rather be making 40k a year doing law enforcement (aggressive driving unit ) because it seems more exciting and can still raise a family.

raise a family? i suppose so...until some kid just back from a war does a little reckless driving, under-estimates a turn, takes out a few mailboxes and broadsides u in ur cruiser...but i'm sure u can raise a family better from a wheelchair than u can from a coffin.

there are over 400 assistant district attorneys in bronx county (my sister is one of them). they actually have a rotation in many departments as to who will be attending the next officer's funeral to represent that department -

i suppose some people are just better designed for that kind of work. i know i'm not...my family is way too important to me to be endangering my life for a paycheck. but again, it's also not in my blood as they say.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:45 AM

actually...post #92 is your 'bible' definition....i took it out of the reference you were mentioning!
woops..thanks..correction made....nice citation by the way
Old 02-09-2006, 06:50 AM

woops..thanks..correction made....nice citation by the way
not a problem

and after coming back from iraq, as i said, civilian life is boring, theres a void, ill fill it with a risky job, and as long as safety precautions are taken properly, such as risk assessment, proper backup, etc. the risk is lesser. i'll be in iraq in another couple years anyways

i just enjoy law enforcement . leave it alone!

Old 02-09-2006, 07:06 AM

by the way, the slap and the finger, dont take it personal, i was jokin around it's all good in the hood.....unless you hit a tree with your VE5. then everythings not good. and if you ALSO hit a mailbox, its worse, you go to jail.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Do what makes you happy. If you take a job that pays a lot more but hate it you will hate going to work. I would rather enjoy my job and maybe take a little less because its something I enjoy.

You also have to remember that he lives in TN. The crime rate for his area is not what it is in NY or NJ. Yeah there are problems everywhere but some areas are just not as bad. My uncle was a cop for 20 something years and I only remember one guy being killed in the line of duty. Maybe there were more but thats the only one I remember.

In small towns where crime is low its not as big a risk as a big city.

again if he wants to do it and it will make him happy I say go for it. We dont all have to be high paid executives.

Besided who are we to tell the man what to do or not to do (after getting over the PTSD deal since we are finally past that)...I mean come on did you ask the message board or even care what the board would think when you chose your job.

Just because you think its dangerous and wouldnt do it doesnt mean everyone should...If that were the case there would be no law enforcement at all.

I wouldnt do any of the jobs I have seen on the show "Dirty Jobs" but they are a necessity of life and someone has to do them.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
I have said it before and I will say it again. Do what makes you happy. If you take a job that pays a lot more but hate it you will hate going to work. I would rather enjoy my job and maybe take a little less because its something I enjoy.

You also have to remember that he lives in TN. The crime rate for his area is not what it is in NY or NJ. Yeah there are problems everywhere but some areas are just not as bad. My uncle was a cop for 20 something years and I only remember one guy being killed in the line of duty. Maybe there were more but thats the only one I remember.

In small towns where crime is low its not as big a risk as a big city.

again if he wants to do it and it will make him happy I say go for it. We dont all have to be high paid executives.

Besided who are we to tell the man what to do or not to do (after getting over the PTSD deal since we are finally past that)...I mean come on did you ask the message board or even care what the board would think when you chose your job.

Just because you think its dangerous and wouldnt do it doesnt mean everyone should...If that were the case there would be no law enforcement at all.

I wouldnt do any of the jobs I have seen on the show "Dirty Jobs" but they are a necessity of life and someone has to do them.
very, VERY well spoken my man.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:30 AM

You also have to remember that he lives in TN. The crime rate for his area is not what it is in NY or NJ. In small towns where crime is low its not as big a risk as a big city.
excellent point

u're absolutely right and i don't think i at least ever told him not to do it...i just want him to be a bit more realistic about the risks involved - small town or not. most famous words during a news story about a tragic crime: "i'm so surprised anything like that can happen here. it usually so quite here. everyone knows each other. everyone gets along here" and so on. but like i said, it's not in me to be one and that's why i thanked him for pursuing the path he has.

can u imagine a world of people like me!! ah the magnificeince of it all!!!!

ok i'm done...sorry