3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

no more max, nx time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Not bad.. The 3rd gen still has more potential in my opinion.
I have many memories of putting 5-6 cars on a VG maxima in my old SR20'd SE-R, VE is a different story but the SR has more potential....
Old 02-21-2006, 03:30 PM
mod or sell?

SR has way more support and potential than the 3rd gen.
but the max has more room and luxury.
personally I'd want both.
but that's because I have kids and really prefer having the 4 door room
Old 02-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think that 10.009 in the 1/8th is slow for a stock 2.0 with miles. SR20 bottom ends are as stout as Nissan builds them. Unlike most Hondas they have closed deck blocks, forged rods and cranks etc. and can handle plenty of boost or spray with proper tuning. It's cheap to get boosted in a B13 or you can be different and go all motor with a SR20VE. SR20VE has 192 HP and bottom end to boot. If you don't like the looks, that's fine, but all these statements that SR20 cars are slow econoboxes that have less potential than a 3rd Gen Maxima are simply not true.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Alex_V

I get nissans engine code but not the V in SR20VE. Im guessing it just denotes the 10.3:1 compression or is it a revision?

~Alex

Old 02-21-2006, 06:21 PM

Isn't the JDM SR20DET illegal in the states?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:18 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by max89_v6
Isn't the JDM SR20DET illegal in the states?

no motor is illegal in the states.
I can use any motor I want in any car I want so long as it passes the emission requirements for the car it's put into (Illinois Law, your state can and will vary)
Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
I get nissans engine code but not the V in SR20VE. Im guessing it just denotes the 10.3:1 compression or is it a revision?

~Alex
VE was never introduced officially in the USA by Nissan.

To really understand the SR20VE in detail, go to the site below:

http://www.gonzonx.com
Old 02-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The SR20VE has Nissan's version of VTEC. They kick ****.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grace_Imports
The SR20VE has Nissan's version of VTEC. They kick ****.
Neo-VVL bishes
Old 02-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Um yeah. The NX200 can drop weight also. Who freakin' needs displacement when the damned thing weighs 2600lbs stock? In CASE you need some information, a stock NA SR20 is basicly the same thing as a turbo sr20 except for the compression ratio. These engines can and have been boosted to well over 350hp. A VE30DE with a turbo would have a hard time doing that.

With that kind of potential from this SR20 engine + the fact that pre-made turbo manifolds and parts are easily available, face it. The maxima would be left FAR behind.

Let me know what you come up with. Here's a start from me. I'll try to find Mike Kojima's turbo na sr20 turbo article also. Since it's the same motor
http://www.se-r.net/about/nx2000/turbo_mag/aug98/

No disrespect to Brad and the handfull of other Ve turbo guys. But we just happened to run into a great engine and a light chassis we have to compete with. At least it's from Nissan.
Excuse for the late reply.. Awright, heres my take... First off, you make it sound as if weight = everything when that just isn't true. Yes, it plays a huge role, but in this case, it's not enough to automatically say we lose. The NX can only lose so much weight, and once the 3rd gen starts loosing, it would be just light enough. We don't really have big luxury sized boats. I noticed the VE5 weighs less then many pure sports cars(Supra, Z, Skyline, Vette, M3, etc.) I'd like to believe Matt didn't waste so much time on this car if he didn't believe it can get down.

So aside from the displacement on our side, it's as if you don't notice the extra 2 cylinders we have over the NX. What that makes no difference? Please tell me what makes the SR20 get boost easier then the VE? Our engines seem to be built just as strong. It's not only about power.. Braking, handeling, aero.. You can't just say that car has more potential because of a better aftermarket and weighs only 500lbs or so less in stock form. If you can prove me wrong, I will admit it.. But so far, Im not getting what everyone is raving about this cool little quality built I4

Originally Posted by Cutler
I have many memories of putting 5-6 cars on a VG maxima in my old SR20'd SE-R, VE is a different story but the SR has more potential....
VG Autos are so fast.. Were they turbo?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

So aside from the displacement on our side, it's as if you don't notice the extra 2 cylinders we have over the NX. What that makes no difference?
Makes a difference yes. But it's not enough.

Please tell me what makes the SR20 get boost easier then the VE? Our engines seem to be built just as strong.
Um have you not noticed there is about a billion turbo SR20s and OEM turbo SR20DETS in the USA despite the fact that the turbo version was never offered there. The NA SR20 IS basicly the turbo engine sans the turbo. Yes it's built THAT strong.

It's not only about power.. Braking, handeling, aero.. You can't just say that car has more potential because of a better aftermarket and weighs only 500lbs or so less in stock form.
Power: Way more in the sr20 AND it's TONS lighter. Iron V6 block vs aluminum 4 cylinder block. Braking?? Please the maxima is THE LARGEST SEDAN NISSAN STILL USED THE PUNY SINGLE PISTON CALIPERS. Try again. Handling?? Please. The maxima EXPECIALLY THE VE30DE version is WAY front biased. Way out of it's league. AERO? Did you just say AERO? Weight 500lbs??? Excuse me. Even 3100lbs - 2400lbs = 700lbs. 700lbs is at least 1 1/2 VE engines!

If you can prove me wrong, I will admit it.. But so far, Im not getting what everyone is raving about this cool little quality built I4
If you can't see the light after all this, you are doomed to never being able to open your eyes to the real world. Here's a clue. The maxima is a great 4 door fwd car. Built nice with a cool unique engine (VE30DE). But it's capabilities are limited. Just the way it is. I'm not hating either. I had one of the most modded VE30DE 5-sps here.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 PM
I miss my VE

Makes a difference yes. But it's not enough.
Not too sure about that one.

Um have you not noticed there is about a billion turbo SR20s and OEM turbo SR20DETS in the USA despite the fact that the turbo version was never offered there. The NA SR20 IS basicly the turbo engine sans the turbo. Yes it's built THAT strong.
Yeah it's strong, but the VE can be made just as good. Why not? Im sure your familier with 4signs and his almost 400hp VE? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=177720

I feel the reason theres so many of them around is because they are just cheap, strong, simple, good aftermarket, and lightweight. Makes for a killer combination to attract a good following. Something our VE's don't really have.

Power: Way more in the sr20 AND it's TONS lighter. Iron V6 block vs aluminum 4 cylinder block. Braking?? Please the maxima is THE LARGEST SEDAN NISSAN STILL USED THE PUNY SINGLE PISTON CALIPERS. Try again. Handling?? Please. The maxima EXPECIALLY THE VE30DE version is WAY front biased. Way out of it's league. AERO? Did you just say AERO? Weight 500lbs??? Excuse me. Even 3100lbs - 2400lbs = 700lbs. 700lbs is at least 1 1/2 VE engines!
No way.. Hows there power more available in the SR20? Braking? Uumm, I wasn't talking about stock. Matt's BBK's are good enough for me. You really think after that mod the NX will stop better? I highly doubt that.

So what if the VE is front biased? You can always try your best to transfer as much weight to the back as possible. It won't be great, but who cares.. In stock form, have you seen many sedans other than the 3 series handle better back in those days? I think not. With our suspensions maxed out, you really think the NX would be better? I doubt it.

And Aero.. Yes.. I just said AERO! Our drag coefficiant was pretty good last time I checked. We got a nice spoiler back there as well. Seems like it works. A lower center of gravity would definatly do the car justice.

Weight.. You said before it was 2600 lbs.. Now it's 2400? I was goin by what you said.. Which one is it?

If you can't see the light after all this, you are doomed to never being able to open your eyes to the real world. Here's a clue. The maxima is a great 4 door fwd car. Built nice with a cool unique engine (VE30DE). But it's capabilities are limited. Just the way it is. I'm not hating either. I had one of the most modded VE30DE 5-sps here.
Until I see a fully modded NX go against a fully modded 3rd gen VE on a nice road course, I don't think it will change my mind. Weight doesn't always mean the end because in this case our cars aren't that much heavier. I have never seen the SR20 do anything special from the track events I been to, or on the streets. If they run 10's they usually break down at the finish line or will in the next few runs. Nothing inspirational here, especially the way the car looks. All I see it owning the 3rd gen is in the aftermarket and in the following. Hopefully I won't be doomed for much longer though, since pretty much everyone disagreed with me.

And what you said about the capabilities being limited.. If you wanna do it instead of talking about it, and you have enough appreciation for what you drive, the capabilities aren't that limited.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah it's strong, but the VE can be made just as good. Why not? Im sure your familier with 4signs and his almost 400hp VE? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=177720
ONE 400hp VE. So what? There are TONS of 400hp+ SR20s around

Here. Let me know when a VE runs a 14.1 na. http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-NX-Timeslip-7424.html

Let me know when a turbo VE drops into the low 12s
denske01-24-2006, 06:52 PM
sorry jon, i forget the format.

denske-1.79 60', 12.3@111, 14 psi ( black 92 nx2000) t28, 50lb'ers,emanage.

I feel the reason theres so many of them around is because they are just cheap, strong, simple, good aftermarket, and lightweight. Makes for a killer combination to attract a good following. Something our VE's don't really have.
And think about why that is

No way.. Hows there power more available in the SR20? Braking? Uumm, I wasn't talking about stock. Matt's BBK's are good enough for me. You really think after that mod the NX will stop better? I highly doubt that.
Um you can put bbks on NXs too. And guess what, if it's lighter you don't need nearly as much stopping power to do it. Try again. Actually the sentra guys use the nx brakes as an upgrade

So what if the VE is front biased? You can always try your best to transfer as much weight to the back as possible. It won't be great, but who cares.. In stock form, have you seen many sedans other than the 3 series handle better back in those days? I think not. With our suspensions maxed out, you really think the NX would be better? I doubt it.
Um how are you going to "transfer" that much weight? Battery? so can the nx. You can always ADD weight if you wish. "suspensions maxed out??" There is ONE adj shock maker. There is NO coilovers available for this car. I HAD a maxed out suspension.

And Aero.. Yes.. I just said AERO! Our drag coefficiant was pretty good last time I checked. We got a nice spoiler back there as well. Seems like it works. A lower center of gravity would definatly do the car justice.
The diff is like .3. Big whoopeeee.

Weight.. You said before it was 2600 lbs.. Now it's 2400? I was goin by what you said.. Which one is it?
With trunk empty, car weighed in at 2480lbs. Your turn

Until I see a fully modded NX go against a fully modded 3rd gen VE on a nice road course, I don't think it will change my mind. Weight doesn't always mean the end because in this case our cars aren't that much heavier. I have never seen the SR20 do anything special from the track events I been to, or on the streets. If they run 10's they usually break down at the finish line or will in the next few runs. Nothing inspirational here, especially the way the car looks. All I see it owning the 3rd gen is in the aftermarket and in the following. Hopefully I won't be doomed for much longer though, since pretty much everyone disagreed with me.
Um yeah that marque matchup might take awhile.

And what you said about the capabilities being limited.. If you wanna do it instead of talking about it, and you have enough appreciation for what you drive, the capabilities aren't that limited.
I have done it. What have YOU done so far?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I miss my VE

ONE 400hp VE. So what? There are TONS of 400hp+ SR20s around

Here. Let me know when a VE runs a 14.1 na. http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-NX-Timeslip-7424.html
One is about all you need. Would you happen to know if he ever saw what he could do? Plus I think something happened to his cardomain page

14.1? With mods like that? Hhmm.. 1.6L cams, Fidanza flywheel, ACT Clutch, JWT ECU, HS Gen VI Header, 3" exhaust, JWT Cam Gears, Custom CAI, MSD Digital 6...... Seriosly with work similar to that on a VE.. What do you think it would pull? If Im not mistaken Mr. Clavin pulled a very fair 14.8 I believe with only like an exhaust, a fidanza, and CAI? Something like that if I remember correctly.. With a bit more work, Im sure it would be at least in the low 14's with a good enough driver.

And think about why that is
Cause it's the one and only popular SR20?

Um you can put bbks on NXs too. And guess what, if it's lighter you don't need nearly as much stopping power to do it. Try again. Actually the sentra guys use the nx brakes as an upgrade
Can their BBK's go to 13in like ours? Or do we have 12.9 which is it? I forget..

Um how are you going to "transfer" that much weight? Battery? so can the nx. You can always ADD weight if you wish. "suspensions maxed out??" There is ONE adj shock maker. There is NO coilovers available for this car. I HAD a maxed out suspension.
Definatly not a maxed out suspension from what I saw. I really don't believe you necessarily need to get coil overs either.. A proper drop would be good enough. Also throw on all of Matt's goodies.. You really think it wouldn't show the NX whos boss?

The diff is like .3. Big whoopeeee.
3rd gen FTW

With trunk empty, car weighed in at 2480lbs. Your turn
Thats pretty light. But come on, to drop under 3klbs for a 3rd gen is not that hard. Thats just about all it would need.

Um yeah that marque matchup might take awhile.
Can't wait...

I have done it. What have YOU done so far?
Low blow question above.. I've seen what you did to your car. It is definatly amazing, and much props towards you. Heck, I think thats your car photochopped in my sig, right? But from what I can see, you didn't do everything. You were missing alot of suspension mods, turbo, etc. And a spoiler Too bad it had to go. Anyway, I havn't done anything YET due to my current situation, but will very soon. You just put me in the position of me having to say "oohh im gonna do this and that, and i know this and that" and do major BS in the end with the above question. Pretty much all I have seen over and over again happen here. So instead.. I'll keep quiet... Just for grins though, one day I would really love to find a fully modded NX and have a comparison.

Edit: I see you added the low 12 second NX time.. I can't wait to see a VE do that is all I can say to that.