3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:29 PM

Idea

Seeing as how a lot of people are doing the E36 headlight conversion, I'm thinking about being totally different. It's going to be somewhat more costly, but I'm thinking Skyline headlights instead. I found a set on ebay for $350 + Shipping (totally "salty," but a different mod altogether). So, my question is, and I'm sure that I may not get an answer, but does anyone know if I will have to do any cutting or anything to do this conversion? And do you think the harness will adapt to Skyline headlights? I'm also on the lookout for some Skyline Tails too, so if anyone has a set they want to get rid of, or knows of someone with a set, hit me up.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The reason many people do the E36 conversion is that there isn't much work required to make them fit relatively well. The shape is pretty close to stock 3rd gens (especially if you use covers to make them flush mount). With skyline lights, the size and shape is very different so you'd need to do some real bodywork to fill in the gaps and make it flow. Also the corner lights are gonna be completely different so you'll have gaps there.

I think the lights (R33 at least) are a little thin for the front end of a maxima so you'd have to do a lot of work to the hood and maybe bumper to make them smooth with Maxima lines.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by klown_phreak
Seeing as how a lot of people are doing the E36 headlight conversion, I'm thinking about being totally different. It's going to be somewhat more costly, but I'm thinking Skyline headlights instead. I found a set on ebay for $350 + Shipping (totally "salty," but a different mod altogether). So, my question is, and I'm sure that I may not get an answer, but does anyone know if I will have to do any cutting or anything to do this conversion? And do you think the harness will adapt to Skyline headlights? I'm also on the lookout for some Skyline Tails too, so if anyone has a set they want to get rid of, or knows of someone with a set, hit me up.

Thanks!

Cutting maybe(probably), the whole corner light section would have to be fabricated, I think this isn't something you will get much help in because nobody has done it before I believe. I your going to pioneer this thing I would hope you are good at body work or have a good shop. I think somebody did Cefiro lights and they were alot of work ( i can't remember his name right now) so if your going to do this you will probably be on your own.

btw, you going to the bloomingtom meet this weekend?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:39 PM

*blast* for being a slow typer.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Josh
Cutting maybe(probably), the whole corner light section would have to be fabricated, I think this isn't something you will get much help in because nobody has done it before I believe. I your going to pioneer this thing I would hope you are good at body work or have a good shop. I think somebody did Cefiro lights and they were alot of work ( i can't remember his name right now) so if your going to do this you will probably be on your own.

btw, you going to the bloomingtom meet this weekend?
"I think this isn't something you will get much help in because nobody has done it before I believe." That is my whole reason for wanting to do it. I appreciate the input from you both. I guess I will just have to weigh out how badly I want to be the "first" at a modification. If I knew how to use photoshop I would do some "magic" to a photo and see how it looked with them in.

As for the Bloomington meet, I wasn't aware that there was one, I just joined here about 4 days ago. Plus I have to work all weekend at Auto Zone *Rolling Eyes*
Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 PM

"I think this isn't something you will get much help in because nobody has done it before I believe." That is my whole reason for wanting to do it. I appreciate the input from you both. I guess I will just have to weigh out how badly I want to be the "first" at a modification. If I knew how to use photoshop I would do some "magic" to a photo and see how it looked with them in.

As for the Bloomington meet, I wasn't aware that there was one, I just joined here about 4 days ago. Plus I have to work all weekend at Auto Zone *Rolling Eyes*

I would say if you decide to do it make sure the height is pretty close to that of the stock lights, its hard to fill in that area in between the light and the hood and make it look good, IMHO. Good luck if you try it.

P.S. you should check the regional forums sometime, and see if anything is going on.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 PM

I would say if you decide to do it make sure the height is pretty close to that of the stock lights, its hard to fill in that area in between the light and the hood and make it look good, IMHO. Good luck if you try it.

P.S. you should check the regional forums sometime, and see if anything is going on.
Got any other ideas of what would fit? I just want to be different and NOT do the E36's if I can get away from it.

And not to sound dumb, but where is the regional forums? lol
Still learning everything here.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
mod or sell?

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24 is regional forums
I'd look at 97 chevy pick up headlights
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM
mod or sell?

or maybe some headlights off a 95 eclipse, I have a spare set
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Well, I always thought the E36 lights looked good so i'm not sure what else woud look good up there, I think the problem that comes with putting in new headlights is that new cars ussually have a sweeping look that incorporates the corners into the front light so blending that into our cars would be difficult. As for the regional forum keep scrolling down past the 3rd gen section until you see the regional US forum and click in there for the different regions heres a link http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
or maybe some headlights off a 95 eclipse, I have a spare set

Is there anything you don't sell?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the help.
And Brian, you're a smarta** lol
Old 03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
mod or sell?

Is there anything you don't sell?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:21 PM
mod or sell?

Thanks for the help.
And Brian, you're a smarta** lol
I've got stock and aftermarket projectors
Old 03-28-2006, 06:39 PM

I've got stock and aftermarket projectors
*Thinking* Hmmmmm, how much a set? And I wonder how much of a who*e they would be to put in.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:44 PM

$175 a pair. http://internetautomart.com/maxima/3rdgen.html
Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 PM

Link just has E36, no mention of Projectors. If it had I would have bought them 6 months ago!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Way out West

Got any other ideas of what would fit? I just want to be different and NOT do the E36's if I can get away from it.
Unless you do tons of searching (and measuring), you are going to have trouble finding lights that use the stock space of the 3rd gen headlight assembly without any trouble. The reason so many people go with e36 lights are because they are a close fit. With the clear covers, they actually look like they belong.

If you try to use a headlight set up that isn't a close fit, you need to be very good at body work or willing to spend a lot of money to pay someone that is.

Honestly, the e36 lights are still pretty rare on a Maxima. Go ahead and drive around your town for a week and tell me how many 3rd gen Maximas you see with them? Just because maybe 15 or 20 guys on this forum have them, doesn't mean they are common.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Unless you do tons of searching (and measuring), you are going to have trouble finding lights that use the stock space of the 3rd gen headlight assembly without any trouble. The reason so many people go with e36 lights are because they are a close fit. With the clear covers, they actually look like they belong.

If you try to use a headlight set up that isn't a close fit, you need to be very good at body work or willing to spend a lot of money to pay someone that is.

Honestly, the e36 lights are still pretty rare on a Maxima. Go ahead and drive around your town for a week and tell me how many 3rd gen Maximas you see with them? Just because maybe 15 or 20 guys on this forum have them, doesn't mean they are common.
I don't even have to drive around my town. There is only one other Maxima besides mine in this town. lol And the girl has wrecked it so many times she's got the custom "Duct tape" lights going on
Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Alex_V

I know you told me that was a special order that took a couple of months to get in, but you still could get it...

~Alex

Old 03-28-2006, 08:34 PM

id like to put e36 projector/angel eyes on my car. that is possible, right? or is there another power wire for the angel eye rings themselves?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I didnt read this whole thread but I have R33 tail lights for sale if you are interested.

$150...click this link to go to my thread.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:23 AM
mod or sell?

we were talking about the eclipse lights.
the one I bought has projectors now but came with stock lights
Old 03-29-2006, 04:28 AM

i was lookin at doin some caddy headlights from a deville cls...before i got my audi...look like they are a close fit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Leath...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-29-2006, 04:30 AM
mod or sell?

problem I see is that it's a one piece wraparound versus our 2 piece setup
Old 03-29-2006, 05:54 PM

problem I see is that it's a one piece wraparound versus our 2 piece setup
thats the one problem i saw also...i never got a chance to measure the lights for depth or height...or the angle of the corner...but i think they would look sweet if they were to work