3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can't open passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 05:21 AM

The passenger door on my 92 GXE is stuck closed. Door lock appears to be working, keys and keypad both lift door lock button. The door just won't open. Any ideas how to get door open?
Bill
Old 06-20-2001, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Bill Doran
The passenger door on my 92 GXE is stuck closed. Door lock appears to be working, keys and keypad both lift door lock button. The door just won't open. Any ideas how to get door open?
Bill
Crawl in from the driver's side and kick that beotch open.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bill
I was thinking you could take off teh inside door panel and see what's going on, but for the front door, there are 2 screws near the front of the door that have to be removed and can only be reached when the door is open

maybe you could try to take the rest of it off and see if you can figure it out while just looking through the side that you can get open which is where the opening mechanism is anyway

directions on how to take apart your door panel are on my website (click on the link below) in the how-to section for window regulator removal

hopefully you can get to something that way; I'm not sure what else to do after that
Old 06-20-2001, 08:06 AM
STFU n00b!

only thing I can think of is the little metal connecting rods inside the door have come apart. about the only way I can think of getting anything apart is to pull the black switch panel off the door and go from there. possibly it just came unhooked somewhere that you can reach, but I don't think you'll be able to.

I've heard of this happening before, and there is a way to get the door open without destroying the door panel, but I don't know how. if you can't figure anything out, call your dealer and have them work on it.
good luck!
Old 06-05-2002, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
only thing I can think of is the little metal connecting rods inside the door have come apart. about the only way I can think of getting anything apart is to pull the black switch panel off the door and go from there. possibly it just came unhooked somewhere that you can reach, but I don't think you'll be able to.

I've heard of this happening before, and there is a way to get the door open without destroying the door panel, but I don't know how. if you can't figure anything out, call your dealer and have them work on it.
good luck!
did anyone ever figure out how to open the door when its stuck? I think my lock came loose or something because neither door handles will open the door and when all the doors are locked and I hit the unlock button the passenger side door lock like jiggles a little bit but can't stay unlocked so it locks all the doors. So I finally get all the locks unlocked (or what appear to be) and the door still wont open? Seriously I need help!
Old 06-06-2002, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Similar prob

Originally posted by greengoat

did anyone ever figure out how to open the door when its stuck? I think my lock came loose or something because neither door handles will open the door and when all the doors are locked and I hit the unlock button the passenger side door lock like jiggles a little bit but can't stay unlocked so it locks all the doors. So I finally get all the locks unlocked (or what appear to be) and the door still wont open? Seriously I need help!
Except my right rear door wont open from the outside handle but will from the inside handle. Geesh!
Old 06-06-2002, 06:42 AM

Spoke to 2 dealers, they said the door latch needs to be broken using a rod inserted down window opening to open door. they then replace door latch, estimate about $250. I havn't had it fixed yet but sounds like it should be left to someone knowing what they are doing or you may break glass.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:15 AM

Spoke to 2 dealers, they said the door latch needs to be broken using a rod inserted down window opening to open door. they then replace door latch, estimate about $250. I havn't had it fixed yet but sounds like it should be left to someone knowing what they are doing or you may break glass.
well I dont know what happened to yours but my door latch still clicks when I try to open it from the inside like the door will open. I don't hear anything when I pull from the outside. How this happened was my friend tried to open the door as I was unlocking all of the doors and then it would never open. I think the latch just came loose because I never heard anything break. Could this be possible?
Old 06-06-2002, 09:19 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

look dude

im a locksmith and we deal with this problem all the time ,all you need to do is take the screws out of the door then just carefully pop the pannel off from the bottom it wont be easy but you can do it ,then just look (with window up )you will see how simple the inside of the door is just find the rod that comes from the handel and gos to the back of the door then just push down on the lever the at the bottom of the linkage the door should open then you can fig what happened ,you prob had some one trying to open your door with slim jim or sometimes the rod can just fall off .
Old 06-06-2002, 12:57 PM

Re: look dude

Originally posted by darrick
im a locksmith and we deal with this problem all the time ,all you need to do is take the screws out of the door then just carefully pop the pannel off from the bottom
exactly which screws are you talking about? i don't believe i can' pop the door panel off because the door is closed and i think it holds it in place...let me know, thnaks! you can talk to me on AIM - greengoat4
Old 06-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

sorry i dont use aol,but

take out the screws in the handel and the under the cup under the latch ( you can pop it out witha screw driver then get as many of the pop in plastic plungers in the bottem of the door then very carefull grab the door pannel with the windw down and pop the top off the gide that holds the top of the door pannel in place it will be kind of hard cause of the 2 screws that are still in tere behind the dash /when the door is closed ,then raise the window back up and you will be able to get at the rods and levers inside just take your time and be firm when pulling the top of the door pannel off onece you get it started it will come right off once you get the door open y0u can get it back in shape no prob..where do you live?
Old 06-06-2002, 09:29 PM

Re: sorry i dont use aol,but

thank you very much, I fixed it today! I just pulled part of the panel off and pulled the door lock up as far as i could and somehow magically it came undone. Door opened and I put everything back and now it's great! BTW, I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota
Old 06-07-2002, 01:00 AM

if you messed up your door panel i have one for sale, 1994 passanger frontblack with

white leather insert, and 1/4 inch hole for i inch dome tweeter (it has b/a/ cover on it so it looks like there is a speaker there you dont see the hole
Old 06-07-2002, 04:32 AM

Re: Re: sorry i dont use aol,but

thank you very much, I fixed it today! I just pulled part of the panel off and pulled the door lock up as far as i could and somehow magically it came undone. Door opened and I put everything back and now it's great! BTW, I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota
When you say you pulled the door lock up, do you mean the rod to the the door lock button? Were any of the rods off their connections? I want to try what you did as I don't want to pay dealer $250. Thanks
Old 06-07-2002, 05:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: sorry i dont use aol,but

When you say you pulled the door lock up, do you mean the rod to the the door lock button? Were any of the rods off their connections? I want to try what you did as I don't want to pay dealer $250. Thanks
I don't know exactly what happened to my door but heres what I did:

I unscrewed all the screws for the door panel like I was taking it off if my door were open. I believe there are four of them. Then if you pull on the little pocket in the door where you hold maps and stuff the bottom of the panel should snap off a little bit, but the frame will prevent it from pulling all the way off. At this point you have all of the panel screws off except two behind the dash so I lifted the panel off very carefully over the actual lock ****. Once I got that off I pulled up on the **** and it worked. So try that first and if it doesn't work who knows. Thats what I did and then I opened the door and it was all fine.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

yea

your door was just seased up you need to make sure you lube the latch and mec. inside the door to keep this prob. from returning