3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Some pics of a recent project I have been working on (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by jadegreenmax
installed FAST, seems to be missing our 3rd gens...and I can't get VINs to link...is there a trick?

3rd gen is on disk 2. I dont have a problem putting in a vin. Maybe you used an O instead of 0 in a place or two...there are no Os in the vin, only 0s...OR maybe the 3rd gen disk has to be in the drive.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM

So you have to use E-fast instead of fast?

*edit*got it usable now, sorry for hijacking your thread :-D */edit*
Old 07-18-2006, 11:38 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Michael
just call your dealer and ask because it will probably vary or go to nissanparts.cc and enter the part number.

Locally my dealer charged around $18 or so with tax. I think nissanparts wanted $10 and $8 shipping so it came out the same.

SWEEET FAST is golden

hers what i do, print out parts # and prices from nissanparts.cc take it to dealer and they price match excatally, and dont charge shipping so its even cheeper.

hehe im good like that

they said $50 a lense for fogs, i took the $26 something from nissanparts.cc, and they price matched and charged no shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by jadegreenmax
So you have to use E-fast instead of fast?

no just regular fast. Put disk 2 in (there are 3 downloads...install, disk 1 (iso) and disk 2 (iso). Put disk 2 in the cd drive and hit fast system on the nissan fast menu.

you should probably start a different thread on it if you continue to have problems instead of putting all of this in my project thread.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by SurraTT
SWEEET FAST is golden

hers what i do, print out parts # and prices from nissanparts.cc take it to dealer and they price match excatally, and dont charge shipping so its even cheeper.

hehe im good like that

they said $50 a lense for fogs, i took the $26 something from nissanparts.cc, and they price matched and charged no shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my dealer will not price match...already tried.

please lets keep the fast stuff out of this thread. I just posted it because someone asked and its turned into a FAST thread instead of my project thread.

I will be glad to help anyone with it in another thread or over PM but just not in this thread anymore...thanks.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Alex_V

They look real nice thats for sure, I want to do something similar with my vg but I dont know if that color will look good with my black body color. Hmm maybe black. I wonder how "VG POWAH" would look in silver on the IM. LOL

How much paint do you have left michael?

~Alex

Old 07-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Alex_V
They look real nice thats for sure, I want to do something similar with my vg but I dont know if that color will look good with my black body color. Hmm maybe black. I wonder how "VG POWAH" would look in silver on the IM. LOL

How much paint do you have left michael?

~Alex
that paint will look great with black and is why I did it (my car is black). Look at my old 92 and see how good the wheels look on it. Its the same color (came from the same quart of paint) as I painted the engine parts.

I painted my dash pieces, these engine parts, my old 18s (on PAs car) and a set of 15s that are on my Jeep and I still probably have about a half pint left.

To do all the engine parts I think took half a pint of color.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Alex_V

Hmm I may have to get some then. Id like the stock rims in that color, it looks good. Id probably do my 240's rims too.

Dmnit now you have me thinking...now I have to do something when I pull the engine and tranny!

~Alex

Old 07-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I wanted to update with some new pics. I polished the PCV tube and the variable intake vacuum accuator (or whatever its called) plus I got all new stainless steel hardware for the IM and stainless steel acorn nuts for the valve cover (not shown). I still have to polish all the washers for the VC...I have about 3 our of 28 done.

this is a good pic of the polished pieces and SS hardware:

here is a shot of the IM/VC in direct sunlight which shows the characteristics of the paint in shadow and direct light:

Here is another angle but still in direct sunlight:

and finally a picture with the sun behind it:

if its not too hot later today the stuff is going on the motor and the motor in the car.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:20 AM
kthxbye2u

why do i envy you now?... when i get my bike imma do this to my car but it takes nothing but money$$ and TIME!

(green = money&time yellow = me)
Old 07-23-2006, 12:31 AM
VE Powah!!!

I officially hate you!!! Hahaha OMG. So Niiiice.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I realize I have a long way to go and more to install but I instlled my VC last night and decided to take a pic of it this morning.

Polished washers, stainless steel acorn nuts and stainless steel bolts to hold the coils on.

I should have the rest put on by the end of the week depending on how much time I have to work on it.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:18 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

9.5 on the jealousy-o-meter...
Old 07-25-2006, 05:54 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

DAMMM MAN thats nice, def going on WISH list
Old 07-26-2006, 03:06 PM

nice job, I need to try someother methods of painting dont like how my stuff turned out. would try and see how a powder coat system workes but dont really have a place for an oven. I guess i can try and coat it and take it some where to cook it.

yeah I have the same oil cap, I got it off of ebay for like 8 bucks or so. and yes it is way better than stock. and a lot cheaper than a nismo or blitz one!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 PM

Looks Awesome Mike!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:13 AM

Geez, your work has always been amazing!

Too bad the coil packs look so dull in comparison
Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I miss my VE

Your amazing Michael.. Im speechless. I know from personal experience, Nissan charges you an arm and a leg for the hardware, so Im guessing this is not a cheap/easy project. I think you can make some decent money if you decide to do this for people
Old 07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Your amazing Michael.. Im speechless. I know from personal experience, Nissan charges you an arm and a leg for the hardware, so Im guessing this is not a cheap/easy project. I think you can make some decent money if you decide to do this for people

Well I actually got all the hardware from a different supplier since its stainless steel. Factory stuff is zinc plated.

I think I spent around $30 (maybe a little more...I need to add up my receipts) for all the nuts, bolts, washers etc for all SS stuff.

If the rain holds off I will have it together tonight and will posts pics tomorrow.

ghostmax...I agree about the coil packs. i am going to try and shine them up a little. I am also a little dissapointed it will not look as good as possible because of the wiring harness. I dont want to wrap it with colorful stuff but I am on the lookout for some type of black covering I can put over it (besides wire loom) but I may not worry about it much since its a part you really cant controll. I really like the stretch mesh stuff but it would be hard to put it on with all the other wires and its hard to find it in black. I may just break down and cover it with black wire loom anyway.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Well I actually got all the hardware from a different supplier since its stainless steel. Factory stuff is zinc plated.

I think I spent around $30 (maybe a little more...I need to add up my receipts) for all the nuts, bolts, washers etc for all SS stuff.

If the rain holds off I will have it together tonight and will posts pics tomorrow.

ghostmax...I agree about the coil packs. i am going to try and shine them up a little. I am also a little dissapointed it will not look as good as possible because of the wiring harness. I dont want to wrap it with colorful stuff but I am on the lookout for some type of black covering I can put over it (besides wire loom) but I may not worry about it much since its a part you really cant controll. I really like the stretch mesh stuff but it would be hard to put it on with all the other wires and its hard to find it in black. I may just break down and cover it with black wire loom anyway.
get some engine clear...or i guess PPG clear on the coils and they will shine up nicely.

you got some anti sieze on the SS bolts right?

i guess you're catching up to me?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by MethMax
nice job, I need to try someother methods of painting dont like how my stuff turned out. would try and see how a powder coat system workes but dont really have a place for an oven. I guess i can try and coat it and take it some where to cook it.

yeah I have the same oil cap, I got it off of ebay for like 8 bucks or so. and yes it is way better than stock. and a lot cheaper than a nismo or blitz one!
for alum parts you need to prebake the parts to get all the air pockets and oils out of the metal. so NO you can't coat it at home and bake it somewhere.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by DanNY
i guess you're catching up to me?

Not even close...I set my bar way lower than that .
Old 07-28-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
for alum parts you need to prebake the parts to get all the air pockets and oils out of the metal. so NO you can't coat it at home and bake it somewhere.
ahh... did not know that. How did you find that out. good to know that b4 hand. also do you know what happens if you dont bake it first?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Not even close...I set my bar way lower than that .
get my email? i was away when you sent it.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by shavedmax
get my email? i was away when you sent it.
yeah sorry I have been so busy with work and my projects that I keep forgetting to respond. Jason's work looks amazing btw...I will email you this weekend.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah sorry I have been so busy with work and my projects that I keep forgetting to respond. Jason's work looks amazing btw...I will email you this weekend.
I'm gettin my engine done. How much would you charge me to do my vc? the pics look hot dude.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by furious max
I'm gettin my engine done. How much would you charge me to do my vc? the pics look hot dude.
I dont know...just depends on color and what all you want done.

You can email or PM me and we can talk about it. For just painting it though it wouldnt be much.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:58 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

awww the cover looks great, nice touch with the new sticker and ss harware.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Yet more updated pics. I have most of the upper part of the motor done. I still have to install the new fuel filter and run all the fuel lines plus install the CAI and some other odds and ends on the top but I will deal with that later when the rain stops. I hope to finish up the bottom stuff (Y, axles etc.) by Monday and hopefully start it by Tue.

anyway here are some quick pics I took just before the rain started.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:30 PM

Looking real sweet man.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:32 PM

beautiful

You need a new hood pin boot (for the hood sensor). In all my junkyard trips with tons of 3rd gens, I've only ever seen one of those that was in good shape (so of course it's on my car now ). I'll trade it to you for a smooth painted intake manifold though
Old 07-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I miss my VE

^ (everything I felt at first glance)

Old 07-29-2006, 04:11 PM

that is one sexy looking engine bay. you're giving me ideas for the 4th gen........................

how do you think the paint will hold up though with the heat, or did you use a different clear?
Old 07-29-2006, 04:12 PM

The first 3rd gen you need white gloves to work on. Wow...
Old 07-29-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
beautiful

You need a new hood pin boot (for the hood sensor). In all my junkyard trips with tons of 3rd gens, I've only ever seen one of those that was in good shape (so of course it's on my car now ). I'll trade it to you for a smooth painted intake manifold though

Don't you have a spare ve intake and valve covers?
Old 07-29-2006, 04:16 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Beautiful michael...Once again,you have created a 3rd gen masterpiece...

I look forward to seeing the finished product...
Old 07-29-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Don't you have a spare ve intake and valve covers?
I did, but ended up trading it to Matt for some other parts I needed

........and I'm lazy
Old 07-29-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
The first 3rd gen you need white gloves to work on. Wow...
u had bought a frontier didnt you? how do you like it?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by shavedmax
how do you think the paint will hold up though with the heat, or did you use a different clear?

Honestly I hadnt thought twice about it not holding up at first because the VC and IM doesnt get "that" hot but since you and Dan both questioned it I am starting to get worried . I am almost positive it will be fine...I will know for sure early next week though.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
beautiful

I know they are hard to find and they want $28 for it at a discount dealer...list is over $37...for a stinking switch. The one on my 93 was in good shape and I pulled it off before I took it to the scrap metal place but I cant find it. I was looking for it when Austin was here because his hood pin quit working and I couldnt find it anywhere.

What color do you want your manifold? I have a spare 5spd manifold and extra VC. If you want them they are yours...email me...maybe I can finish the Stillen lip and ship them all at once. heck I am planning a trip to GA so let me know the next time you are going to be back with your family and maybe I can meet you then.

Quick Reply: Some pics of a recent project I have been working on (56k beware)